Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing pistons out... How hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing pistons out... How hard is it?

Hey guys, Right now I have an ls block with oversized itr pistons in it. Im going to take those out and replace them with p30s and I was wondering how hard is it to switch pistons? Any tips or things I should look out for? Im going to be switching the rod bolts to arps. Also would my ls rods be fine to use with the p30s? They have been shaved to fit itr's. Any help would be appreciated as I want to try and do this myself or I would like to know if i should just forget the hassle and take it to a shop... Thanks alot.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing pistons out... How hard is it? (triplet)

Thats a pretty hefty job but can be done with the motor in the car. I would at least hit the cyl wall with a bottle brush hone. Helps to skuff up the cyl walls when breaking in the new rings. The same rods can still be used. I would let a shop do the rod bolts and install the new pistons on your rods. You can do the rest if you have the propper tools and the know how.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Changing pistons out... How hard is it? (Phat_Optimo)

The block is already out of the car. I was wondering if anyone had any sites that would explain how to do it. My block has already been honed and everything a couple thousand miles ago.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing pistons out... How hard is it? (triplet)

personally i wouldnt use the LS rods that have been shaved. i'm sure you could, but you can find some stock ones for cheap..
if you get ARP rod bolts for them, you need to have the rods resized.. any good machine shop can do this.. while you're at it, have them balance the rods, shouldnt cost u much more. (at least it only cost me like 5$ more per rod when i had mine done) have the machine shop install the pistons on your rods.. just alot easier to have them do it ..
you may want to check your piston/cylinder wall clearances to make sure they are within spec. (for obvious reasons).

there's no reason u cant assemble but i'd let the shop do the arp rod bolts/resize/piston assembly..

i do most all my own work.. but when you dont have the proper equipment (to resize rods and press on pistons) you're best off taking that stuff to a machine shop.

[Modified by Speedz, 8:20 PM 3/15/2003]