Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARBON BUILD UP

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARBON BUILD UP

found out that my knock sensor kept going off due to massive amounts of carbon builup. my first chamber read amost over 220 using the pressure gauge. so i actually went in and stuck a flate head screwdriver into the piston chamber(through access of the sprak plug) and scrapped off a chunk of black carbon builup. any one else have this problem? ive got 90xxx miles on my 95 GSR sitting in my 94 Si and i wanna know any remedies of getting rid of carbon build up.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: CARBON BUILD UP (THElittleHATCHthatCOULD)

Old 02-11-2004, 11:08 AM

Ok this is going to odd, but trust me it works. Get som automatic tranny fluid (Dexron-mercon 3). Then park your car in an open area, because this will cause a lot dark smoke. Pop your hood and find a small vacuum line on the intake manifold. Take the end that is not connected to the manifold and put it in the dexron mercon 3. Now have a friend hold the rpms for the car at around 3k for a couple of min. After that reconnect the line and your done.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:12 AM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CARBON BUILD UP (bigblockhonda)

ha. i bet that smoke will hide the whole damn neighborhood. might not want to do it when your neighbors are around.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Re: CARBON BUILD UP (vtecb20coupe)

he might also want to re-hone his cyl walls after using the screw driver on them .

Old 02-11-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: CARBON BUILD UP (vtecb20coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecb20coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ha. i bet that smoke will hide the whole damn neighborhood. might not want to do it when your neighbors are around. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good tip.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: CARBON BUILD UP (McDade)

actually i just scratched the tip of my piston from the spark plug inlet the carbon was intense had a chunk on the falt head screw driver
Old 02-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u should get what u scraped off out of there before running your motor. All of those particles are going to scrape up your cylinder walls.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: CARBON BUILD UP (12000rpm)

well most of the crap was on the screwdriver. im beginning to think that its a number of things taht are causing the knock sensor to go off on my car-not only the carbon build up that is ocntributing to the knocking but my wires, cap and rotor for the distributor need to be changed, correct me if im wrong but having faulty wires that are insufficient and a tune up thats needs to be taken in effect can also cause knocking right? the gsr i have in my hatch is a 95 with 90xxx miles and all the necessary replacements have been made-timing belt water pump etc. im trying to figure out why i still have the CEL on and i cant hear no knocking. i mean im sure there may be a small knock but could it be the cause of carbon build up and insufficient spark?
Old 02-12-2004, 05:36 AM

i read awhile ago on here that the knock sensor need some hardcore insulated wire. The kind that has its own ground

i would look into replaceing that wire to see if that stops it.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=700102
Old 02-12-2004, 05:57 AM

ok ill check up on that, 2morrow ill go and complete my engine flush and cleaning routine and go and replace my wires and distrib. cap and rotor. and ill check up on that wire-btw i needed some help finding my knock sensor on my b18c1 95 obd 1 motor are there any pics or links&gt; thanx for the input and help hopefully my problem wont persist
another question to-when i start the engine up, mostly cold starts, it will rev up to 2 and then its weird like ther is a glitch-the rev's drop drastically to like 1.5-1 and jump right back to 2 like nothing happened. its been happening frequently-is that due to carbon build up? anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-12-2004, 08:25 AM

knock sensor location.
back of the block under the intake manifold
http://www.volaresolutions.com/jim/b18c.jpg

For the carbon buildup i would do what bigblockhonda said to do earlier in this post. I know a few people have had success with using seafoam to clean their engines. Just search for "seafoam" in the archives, you will get all the info you need there.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:55 PM

thanx mcdade for your help i really appreciate everyones input . but i have one last nagging question heh....sorry
its when i start up the motor-only on a cold start this happens, the engine normally holds idle around 2 rpm, but oddly my motor will hold the rev then suddenly drop in revs to like 1.5-1 rpm's, then it will jump right back to 2 rpm's like nothing it just kind of bounces. but this morning when i started it up it had an irradict idle. it was like bouncing in between 1.5 and 2 rpm's constantly. not violently but it was very constant. the car runs fine except for the knock sensor problem that we were discussing its just odd to see the cold start idle very irregular. is that normal for a 95 gsr with 90xxx miles on it? or do i have a serious problem on my hands?