Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car smoking, what is the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car smoking, what is the cause?

I know Im not burning oil(I don't think), cause the spark plugs are as dry as could be, with no oil on them. Im getting a whitish smoke out the exahust, what could it be caused by? It doesn't happen at idle, only when I get on it hard.

Any ideas?
Old 05-25-2002, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car smoking, what is the cause? (InfamousRS)

white smoke useally is a head gasket but you never know......is it real white or grayish/blueish?????? what ecu are you running? most chipped ecus dump a lot of fuel which will smoke slightly
Old 05-25-2002, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Car smoking, what is the cause? (dohcsideSi)

Im running a p28 w/mugen chip. I think it may be the head gasket. Im using b16 head bolts, (which are shorter than b18c bolts), and hear that could cause the head gasket to blow easly. The gasket only has about 300 miles on it, so it is really new.

Also, it looks like there may be oil leaking from where the head and block meet, is that even possible? The oil that I think may be leaking there is right below the distribiuter.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be cam seals and might be headgasket, I can't tell without seeing a pic. It's entirely possible for oil to leak from there; that's where the head gasket goes, and that's where I had a leak from before I replaced my head gasket. Far as the smoke, if it's white smoke that usually means either moisture in the exhaust system or burning coolant. If you've got white exhaust and oil coming from your headgasket, I think it's pretty clear what needs to be done..

But if it's only when you get on it, then don't worry about it much... most cars smoke a bit under hard driving, it's normal, especially with a chip.

[Modified by raene, 10:37 PM 5/25/2002]
Old 05-25-2002, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Car smoking, what is the cause? (raene)

But if it's only when you get on it, then don't worry about it much... most cars smoke a bit under hard driving, it's normal, especially with a chip.
It was more that just a *little bit* of smoke. Between the smoke from the exhaust and the smoke from the oil dripping/buring on the header, there was ALOT!!!! They only let me make 4 runs at the track today cause I was dripping oil down off of the header onto the track when I was staging. I cant really tell how its getting to the header, but it is.... man, this is such a headache!!!! What would cause my head gasket to go out so guick? Could it be the b16 head bolts?
Old 05-25-2002, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh damn, that's pretty bad...

Seriously, find out where the oil is coming from. Is it coming from where the head meets the block, or from the seals around the distributor/VTEC solenoid, etc? If there's oil INSIDE the headers it's likely broken/bent valves, but I don't think that's it because you're not seeing blue smoke. If the oil's literally dripping out it shouldn't be too hard to see where it's coming from.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car smoking, what is the cause? (raene)

sounds like a head gasket. start the car and hand throttle it or have someone else step on the gas and you should be able to see where the smoke and/or oil are coming from and also do a compression test, that will let you know and it only takes a few minutes.

[Modified by doc804, 9:30 AM 5/26/2002]
Old 05-26-2002, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Car smoking, what is the cause? (doc804)

I know where the smoke is coming from in the engine bay. It coming from right around the o2 sensor on the header. The oil is driping off of the itermediate shaft. I think my oil like is leaking a bit now. I didn't think it was cause it looked clean, but I checked them last night, and there was a bit of oil on the bottom of them.

I also think the Vtec solenoid seal (where the solenoid bolts to the head) is leaking. That may be where the oil I though was comming from the head gasket is coming from.

As for the smoke coming out of my exhaust, I am not sure what its from. My engine isnt burning oil(I don't think) cause of the plugs being so dry. the other day when I noticed it start smoking I took it to a import mechanic and he said it was just smoking cause its running so rich with the mugen chip Im running. He smelled the smoke and watched it for a while, and said it didn't look to bad. I think it just feels like ALOT more to me because of all the smoke coming from the oil burning on my header.