Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can someone explain these transmissions to me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can someone explain these transmissions to me?

i know there are hydraulic transmissions and non hydraulic transmissions (are they call "non-hydraulic" or what)...?...

i think mine is a hydraulic tranny. 2000 h22a4 w/ stock tranny on it. hydraulic rite?

what about the older ludes? 92-95? where these trannys hydro? or what?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can someone explain these transmissions to me? (hondaZvic)

nobody knows?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i belive h22 trannys are cable not hydro
Old 10-02-2003, 09:07 AM

Default Re: can someone explain these transmissions to me? (drvfast)

H22 uses the good old cable tranny !
Old 10-02-2003, 09:12 AM

Default Re: can someone explain these transmissions to me? (TwoRedEGgs)

On my OBD1 H22, the tranny is hydraulic... Thus the hydraulic line and slave cylinder on the front of the tranny!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can someone explain these transmissions to me? (SleeprCivic)

ok.. if there is that metal line and a slave cylinder in front of the tranny, than that means it is a hydraulic? i thought that metal line and slave cylinder were for the clutch? what do the cable tranny's look like?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok.. if there is that metal line and a slave cylinder in front of the tranny, than that means it is a hydraulic? i thought that metal line and slave cylinder were for the clutch? what do the cable tranny's look like?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, for Honda's there are 2 types of transmissions, whether it be B-series or D-series engine.

Honda cable tranny's stem from vehicles built from the early CVCC (70's) all the way up to now for some Honda vehicles (h22 engine). For civic & integra specific vehicles, civic cable tranny's ended in 1991 & integra's cable trans ended in 1993.

Honda hydro B & D series tranny's made their debut in 1992 here in the US; found in all 92+ civics & 94+ integra's and other vehicles too, but we don't care about other models now do we?

Hydro tranny's do have a metal hardline going feeding into the clutch slave cylinder found on the front side of the transmission.

Cable tranny's have an actual cable leading from the firewall, over the engine, and down to actuator arm located in the front of the tranny.

Either tranny types use different mounts as well.

I have pictures of this, just not handy at this time.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can someone explain these transmissions to me? (Katman)

thanks katman.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cable tranny's have an actual cable leading from the firewall, over the engine, and down to actuator arm located in the front of the tranny.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the actual cable on these, this is not the shifter cables is it?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks katman.

the actual cable on these, this is not the shifter cables is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

shifter cable? uhh..its just a cable that stems from the clutch pedal and down to the actuator arm on the frontside of the transmission.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok.. i havent seen one before. what about say.. an 88 civic dx 5spd. would this be cable tranny? or hydro?

just curious, i just bought this car today for $300.00 great deal. gotta roll bar in it and some tokico/sprint shocks and springs on all 4 corners. and frame is straight. even has some good rubber.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh never mind.. its a cable tranny. i learned from ur post ealier.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:22 PM

I think people are getting confused the SHIFTER cables with the HYDRAULIC clutch line.

hondaZvic, your tranny is hydraulic tranny (h22 that is) - meaning you use hydraulic pressure for the clutch slave cylinder.

as for the cables.....that is for the shifter only on F and H series. Where as B and D series use rod shifters.

as for the DX you got, that is a Rod shifter, and a cable type clutch tranny.

hope that cleared it up
Old 10-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can someone explain these transmissions to me? (poison)

okie dokie. i got it now. thanks.

now... hahaha 1 more. i gotta d16y8 w/(rod shifter, hydraulic tranny, rite?) what is needed to put this engine in the 88 civic dx? as far as making the tranny work? cuz if im getting all this rite, the dx doesnt have a metal fluid line for the clutch/slave cylinder. rite?
Old 10-03-2003, 09:32 AM

Yes, that sounds correct. It looks like you'll either need a hydro conversion kit or somehow use the cable actuator. I'm not sure of the details on either. Ha, I guess I helped alot... I'm sure people have done this. Or, you could probably use the stock tranny from the car on the new engine, am I right??
Old 10-03-2003, 10:27 AM

Default Re: can someone explain these transmissions to me? (SleeprCivic)

1 is cable 1 is hydro how hard is that?
Old 10-03-2003, 11:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okie dokie. i got it now. thanks.

now... hahaha 1 more. i gotta d16y8 w/(rod shifter, hydraulic tranny, rite?) what is needed to put this engine in the 88 civic dx? as far as making the tranny work? cuz if im getting all this rite, the dx doesnt have a metal fluid line for the clutch/slave cylinder. rite?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use the Y8 tranny, however, you have to get the HASport kit. Or you can use the stock DX tranny with the Y8.

I would personally convert to multi-point, and run the D16A6 intake manifold, fuel injectrs, with the Y8 distributor (you will have to wire for that), and add VTEC/Knock sensor.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can someone explain these transmissions to me? (poison)

d16a6? what is that? the dx has a d15 in it and a carburetor
Old 10-08-2003, 12:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">d16a6? what is that? the dx has a d15 in it and a carburetor</TD></TR></TABLE>
The D16a6 is the stock U.S. SOHC no-vtec 1.6L "SI" engine that came with the 88-91 Civic/CRX's.

The 88-91 "DX" engines used a Dual Point Fuel injection system. Basically, it was an electronic carburetor you could say.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">d16a6? what is that? the dx has a d15 in it and a carburetor</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's an 88 Civic DX, it should have a D15B2 and DPFI (Dual-point fuel injection), not a carburetor. It looks similar to one (like an air cleaner on top) but it's actually an upright throttle body with 1 main and 1 auxiliary fuel injectors.
The D16A6 parts that Poison and others are referring to are from the 88-91 Civic/CRX Si. They use MPFI (Multi-port) which is the same as the 92+ Civic's - 4 fuel injectors.
If you plan to install the Y8 motor, it's easiest to use the PM6 (D16A6) ECU, injectors, and distributor then run a VAFC or MSD switch to control the VTEC. This isn't the best way to do it (P28 with OBD1 conversion would be ideal) but it gets the job done.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can someone explain these transmissions to me? (VTECVillain)

awww ic now.. ya thats what it looks like. an upright throttle body.

well i have the stock ecu from my 99 ex. (obd2.2 i believe) would this not work? i have everything from engine, ecu, injectors, axles, u name it its there... i took everything straight off the car.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you plan to install the Y8 motor, it's easiest to use the PM6 (D16A6) ECU, injectors, and distributor then run a VAFC or MSD switch to control the VTEC. This isn't the best way to do it (P28 with OBD1 conversion would be ideal) but it gets the job done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

...actually there's an alternate route that one can take on this; and thats by running an 89-91 B16A PR3 ecu, but reprogrammed w/disabled sensors (and modified fuel/timing maps) to power a SOHC VTEC engine in an EF vehicle. This will eliminate the need to run an RPM activator switch and a single fuel/timing map that PM6 ecu's are limited to.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...actually there's an alternate route that one can take on this; and thats by running an 89-91 B16A PR3 ecu, but reprogrammed w/disabled sensors (and modified fuel/timing maps) to power a SOHC VTEC engine in an EF vehicle. This will eliminate the need to run an RPM activator switch and a single fuel/timing map that PM6 ecu's are limited to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very cool. I always wondered if it were possible to disable the knock sensor, 2nd O2 and such on the PR3. Good deal, I'll have to keep that in mind as an available option as well. I know you're good with ECU's so do you do this reprogramming, I would imagine so?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok since those ecu options will work PR3 and PM6, can i use the P2P ecu i have? if not, why?
Old 10-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I know you're good with ECU's so do you do this reprogramming, I would imagine so?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep...i sure do

hondaZvic,

You probably would not want to use a P2P/OBD2 ecu you have because it will not plug n' play into an EF civic/crx. You'd need a jumper harness converter to make it work in your car....then you have to repin and rewire certain ignition parts and then get OBD2 ignition parts.....becomes a hassle. That's the whole point of using either a PM6 or a reprogrammed PR3 ecu, because of its plug n' play capability. The P2P ecu will not be plug n' play.