Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can a japanesse engine get bar label to CA. vechicles

Old 11-22-2002, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a japanesse engine get bar label to CA. vechicles

i have a 99 si, i want to drop in a 99 or newer japan spec itr, can i get i to smog over with the refree? i called this 1 800 952 5210 and spoke to B.A.R. tech and they didn't they me ****, told me a bunch of bullshit and i already forget, didn't answer my question, anyone in CA. state have smog over a japan spec motor with the refree let me know how you did it and where.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:13 AM

Default Re: can a japanesse engine get bar label to CA. vechicles (n*hance*ek)

Although you may hear about individuals being able to "smog" their JDM engines, the answer in regards to passing a California Refree is NO.

The only way that you will get answers that are worth while is to go into the Referee station and talk directly to the guy there. That's what I've done and is why I say that a JDM engine will not pass.

Keep in mind that technically, you have to have an appointment to go into the station. In order to get that appointment, you have to have a car that needs to be checked. In other words, you can't get an appointment to just talk.

I live near a station and have found that if I show up dressed clean and wait quietly, they are willing to talk between working on cars.

Wes
Old 11-22-2002, 10:34 AM

Default Re: can a japanesse engine get bar label to CA. vechicles (Wes V)

damn it the nearest ref. station is like 2hrs away, so i see you already tried and ask the question. answer is "no" damn CA. smogs. Thanks for letting me know before i waste $4000
Old 11-22-2002, 08:33 PM

if one ref wont let it pass try another one.
keith
Old 11-22-2002, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, actually the rules have changed. it used to be that jdm motors were illegal no matter what. now however they are legal, pending certain restrictions:
-the jdm motor must be EXACTLY the same as a usdm counterpart (stuff like compression ratio they will never know....so don't worry about it)
-you must use all the smog equiptment, vacuum hose routing... that the jdm motor's usdm counterpart would have.

those rules are in addition to the other engine swap rules that cali has. Basically convert the motor over to usdm form: make sure you use the right ecu, the right obd, the right tranny, the right intake manifold, the right smog equiptment.... and you should be fine.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:56 PM

Default Re: can a japanesse engine get bar label to CA. vechicles (91IntegGS)

91IntegGS is right. I spoke with a smog ref. and he told me that as long "as the JDM matches the USDM counterpart it will be ok" exact words. and ive heard of people getting their JDM motors ref'd.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:46 PM

Default Re: can a japanesse engine get bar label to CA. vechicles (paragus)

correct, for those of you who did your research jdm motors are now legal. it just changed within the last year or so. anyway, like the above posts.. all smog equipment, and the correct ecu. you also need proof on paper that its the correct ecu being used, also papers showing the motor isnt stolen.. (reciepts from the place where u buy the motor?)
Old 11-24-2002, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a japanesse engine get bar label to CA. vechicles (sushibug)

yup, thats true JDM engines can now be legally bar certified here in CALi, infact there are a couple of H-T members with certified jdm engines.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:51 AM

Default Re: can a japanesse engine get bar label to CA. vechicles (zzZZzzleeperCX)

Is it possible to quote what regulation was changed that makes JDM engines legal? I don't question the possibility that it's been changed, but it would be enlightening to be able to read it. (I'm not trying to be pissy)

After looking at the BAR web site; in California, you can't even use a "49-state" engine. (although this would most likely be more relevant to cars older than those talked about on this board)

The BAR web site refers to section 3362.1 of the California Code of Regulations. That section is only one paragraph long and doesn't specifically state that you can't use a JDM engine. It's copied below;

"An automotive repair dealer shall not make any motor vehicle engine change that degrades the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system. Nor shall said dealer, in the process of rebuilding the original engine or while installing a replacement engine, effect changes that would degrade the effectiveness of the original emission control system and/or components thereof."

Dang, that's pretty vague!!!!

In my mind, unless I can see something in writing (from the California government), it still comes down to talking to the Referee that will be doing the certification to see what he will allow. All it would take would be for the Referee that you go to say that he feels that the JDM engines have a higher lift cam or higher compression, and you would be out of luck!

Wes
Old 11-24-2002, 11:27 AM

Default Re: can a japanesse engine get bar label to CA. vechicles (Wes V)

this thread is very interesting. glad to hear jdm motors can be smog legal with all the sensors and what not. but, with all this being said, does this mean the zc still cant be legal since there was no other like its kind in the us? or can i just use the 1st gen integra ecu and so on and to make it legal?