Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Hybrid Dreaming

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Batpool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default California Hybrid Dreaming

Ok so I did a quick search (really quick, I might have missed something) and I didn't find anything that answered my questions.

As all of you know, California has probably the toughest smog laws in the nation, and I have heard a few horror stories about swaps that have made it unable for the owner to register the car, essentially nullifying all work done to the car because it is no longer legal for street use.

I have a 98 Civic Ex sedan, and I want to switch out the d16y8 for something with a bit more punch that can handle a good boosting later on down the line, like an LS/Vtec or even just a straight up B18C1 (though I am a noob, so if anyone has better suggestions I have a very open mind).

Taking into account that I live in California and this car is daily driven (and therefore must still be able to be registered), what options do I have for creating a hybrid and what can I do to minimize the chance of having my car registered as off-road use only?

Two other things to keep in mind before answering:
1. I do not have a lot of money or technical know-how, so switching engines back and forth is not an option (but if that is the only thing I can do, I will have to learn).
2. I can't go out of state and register it and go back, because I'd rather do this as close to legally as possible.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Batpool

Any help?

Even a "Search harder NOOB" would be appreciated...
Old 09-16-2006, 08:13 AM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (SilentEdge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by search &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

» Search Results

Your search for swap smog returned 56 results.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-16-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (slomofo)

I would get an integra ls swap and turbo it down the line. You cannot pass state ref with an ls/vtec the engine must also be same obd as the car,(obd-2 for you). The integra ls swap will set you back around $1,000. Put that engine in, state ref. the car and put a carb legal turbo kit on it
Old 09-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Batpool

Thanks both of you, I ran the search and found all the topics...

2fast, so the ls/vtec will not pas the bar? I've read the b18c1 would pass, but I don't know exactly what I need to do. I assume it has to be the same year, but after that I don't know what else.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (SilentEdge)

LS/VTEC and B20 motors will not fly in cali. As far as engine years, you can go as new as you can afford, but you cannot backdate an engine older than your chassis.

Example - 92 Civic - you can go with any engine 92 and up. Nothin pre-92, not that you would want too, but again example - B16A would not pass in a 92 up car.

Additionally, you can either update the OBD system to the newer engine, or you can backdate a newer engine to your chassis OBD. There is a lot involved in this, so do some research. I don't have a lot of info as far as that goes.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are pretty limited with the 98ex.. The 1998 b18c1 is the last year of OBDIIA for the intetgras.. You could do a USDM type R would give you a nice little boost in power.. The swap will run you around $4500+ for a usdm motor.. A b16 out of a 99 SI is also another good option.. The powerband is really close to your D series motor though.. It gives you a little bit more above 5500 rpm but not much..

If you want the most bang for your buck IMHO boost your y8.. I have a 98 hatch that I just swapped a b18c1 into for smog purposes.. Before that it was boosted for the last 2 years and I put 40,000+ miles on it without a hitch.. 200+whp and 185wtq @ 10psi..... It was my daily driver.. Get a good tune and its all good.. Greddy makes a smog legal kit for your car that will give you more power than any bar legal swaps.. Edelbrock also has a smog legal kit for your car that is pretty nice... Both have CARB EO numbers...

There isn't a b series swap that is going to give you 200whp for $3000 total...

Check out the sticky's at the top of the page there are a couple of good articles on swapping as well.. Stay the same year as your car and it will be a breeze..

For BAR certification all of the ref stations don't seem to be on the same page.. As stated previously the motor has to be the same or newer than your car.. Some refs were allowing it as long as it is the same generation as your car.. Your car is a 98 so a 96-98 GSR motor would work sometimes ... Other places would tell you that the 96 and 97 motor couldn't be used because it is older than your car.. Even though it is the same OBD as your current motor... Just stay the same year or newer within the same obd and you'll be all good....

If money isn't an issue I'd do a K20.. Rcrew racing in Brisbane just got one refereed... It looks like they cut out the back of the eg to fit the rsx fuel tank and all of the accessories... That is a swap that would be capable of 200whp with just KPRO....
Old 09-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Batpool

Default Re: (fishnfst)

Thank you fishnfst, that is exactly what I was looking for. So let me see if I have it correct:

Same year or newer will be much easier to pass.
No franks.
Best bang for the buck would be to keep the d and boost it.

So since I can't ask you about the boosted d in this thread, I'll send you a pm. Thank you again for your help.