Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cable Transmission into EK Civic Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable Transmission into EK Civic Question

Me and a friend are swapping a 93 integra motor/trans into a 98 civic ex. the engine is a b18a1 and the trans a YS1 CABLE.

We have almost everything figured out, except 1 thing. How do we make use of the cable transmission in a car that was meant to use hydraulic?

I know their is conversion kits to do this but we are trying to save weight and not use any hydraulic system, we want it purely CABLE.

Would we need a different pedal assembly to support the clutch cable? If so which one would we use? a 90-93 integra assembly or would a old civic/crx one work? I suppose it would hav to be custom fabricated to fit into the civic?

Please let me know if you know anyone who has done this before. or if you know how to do it.

Thanks,
b18eric
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cable Transmission into EK Civic Question (b18eric)

buy a hydro.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbociv910 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buy a hydro. </TD></TR></TABLE>
he doesnt want it to be hydraulic and we already have the cable trans...im asking how it can be done im not asking for opinions
Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18eric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he doesnt want it to be hydraulic and we already have the cable trans...im asking how it can be done im not asking for opinions</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know you're not looking for opinions, but what your trying to do is pointless, hasport makes an adapter kit, but it still uses the hydraulic setup, it just converts it at the transmission, you also need a hasport or custom fabricated mount. now since you already have the tranny thats an ok way to go, but to try to convert the car to cable to save something like 2 pounds, if that is beyond me.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Cable Transmission into EK Civic Question (94EG8)

Does anyone else know what needs to be done to do this??
Old 09-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i use to have a cable to hydro kit i bought from jdmshit.com...i dont see it on their site anymore so i guess u gotta search around for other companies that sells them
Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you may be interested in this Hasport mount thats designed for B-series Cable tranny's into EK chassis:
http://hasport.com/shop/produc...id=43

Give Hasport call as well and ask if they have a hydro-cable conversion kit in the works..
Old 09-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Default Re: (Katman)

The engine and trans are all mounted. We used Innovate mounts. they are good quality id say as good as hasport but a little cheaper.

but once again, we are aren't trying to convert it from cable to hydraulic. we are trying to convert the CAR from hydraulic to cable. we don't want any hydraulic system used, just a cable from the transmission to the clutch pedal. My question is how do you attach the cable to the clutch pedal on the civic since its hydraulic? do u need a different pedal assembly or what?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18eric)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18eric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The engine and trans are all mounted. We used Innovate mounts. they are good quality id say as good as hasport but a little cheaper.

excellent

but once again, we are aren't trying to convert it from cable to hydraulic. we are trying to convert the CAR from hydraulic to cable. we don't want any hydraulic system used, just a cable from the transmission to the clutch pedal. My question is how do you attach the cable to the clutch pedal on the civic since its hydraulic? do u need a different pedal assembly or what?

oh my bad. I guess i sped read past this piece of info about totally converting to cable 100% bypassing the hydro system. Why would you want to do that? when you can keep the hydro clutch intact and just run the conversion kit directly at the hydraulic slave cylinder?

Come to think of it, and this is a shot in the dark, I guess you can easily bypass the hydro clutch by pulling off the clutch slave cylinder then replacing the whole EK clutch pedal with a clutch pedal & cable from a 92-93 DA? That is, if the DA clutch bolts into an EK chassis.

You wouldn't have to totally delete the hydro clutch system either, just the clutch slave and pedal.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Re: (Katman)

Thats what I am wondering if it needs a whole pedal assembly swap or could the civic one be modified? My guess would be the 92-93 DA pedals wont fit directly and would have to be modified to bolt into the civic chassis. So that is what we're looking at unless someone has another suggestion. basicaly we like the feel of a cable clutch more and we want to use it in the civic, and plus it will cost less cuz we won't have to buy any converters or anything. I am not sure if someone has done this before or not but i'm curious how they did it.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18eric)

I'm pretty sure this isn't a common conversion hybriders try. They just conform to the hydro clutch system and enjoy.

but if anything, I would just compare a DA & the EK clutch pedal assy and modify the EK pedal assy (welding work probably required) and match the DA pedal cable mounting configuration..
Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 PM

Does anyone know anyone who has done this before?

Do you think just welding something onto the civics clutch pedal to hold the clutch cable would work?? Or would you actualy need a DA pedal assembly?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i'm pretty sure you would need DA pedals.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cable Transmission into EK Civic Question

I'm doing the same swap... Except mine is going into a 97 Integra Ls sedan.
did u find a solution?
I have the DA still and can just swap pedals but I know I'd have to remove both steering wheels to remove the assemblies and I'm still not sure if they will work... Would save alot of time if u happened to figure this issue out.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:06 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Cable Transmission into EK Civic Question

Originally Posted by Cayden Rosario
I'm doing the same swap... Except mine is going into a 97 Integra Ls sedan.
did u find a solution?
I have the DA still and can just swap pedals but I know I'd have to remove both steering wheels to remove the assemblies and I'm still not sure if they will work... Would save alot of time if u happened to figure this issue out.
did you figure out a solution or did you go hydro? i’m doing same swap mine is b16a ys1 cable trans. i haven’t found any hydro to cable kits it’s all cable to hydro,i was thinking of fabricating something to make it work
Do you know what transmission bracket i would need for an ek ys1 the bracket on top of transmission not t bracket?