Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Cars with swaps or turbo. Emissions ? and CARB/ BAR ? Curious to see whats up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 09:05 PM
AGS
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Cars with swaps or turbo. Emissions ? and CARB/ BAR ? Curious to see whats up?

OK, Im in WI and MI where emissions is not a factor to me. However, my career path might very well take me to California in 2 years. I have a 99 DX w/ an 00 LS motor running OBD2B (yes, i built it for my possible move in 2 years).

I see a lot of cars out there (for sale) mostly that have turbo kits (homemade and pieced together) and I see motor swaps that do not meet the requirements to pass CA emissions visual and maybe not the operating portion.

Do these people or, a lot of people have...
1. a "hookup"
2. take things off to pass and then put them back in everytime
3. or do some build the car till they need to go in and get tested and the sell the car knowing it will not pass?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Re: CA Cars with swaps or turbo. Emissions ? and CARB/ BAR ? Curious to see whats up? (1999silverh

yup, basically there's a lot of laws here that haven't gotten around to the rest of the country yet. when there's a swap, theres certain guidelines before it'll pass and get BAR'd. the safest way is to have it bar'd...then you can go in and smog it with stock equipment or carb legal mods. its really a pain...or the other route is to pay some benjamins..and have it pass with a hook up...

and now with some recent changes..some people are getting notifications to go to TEST only shops..which are even more tightly governed by the state..so hookups are even harder...but it IS possible...just a matter of how much you wanna pay!

good luck!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:10 PM
AGS
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CA Cars with swaps or turbo. Emissions ? and CARB/ BAR ? Curious to see whats up? (1999silverh

true, thanks for the info...im not all that worried about my hatch but, it is a "marked" car (if you will) swapped, lowered, etc...the usual profiling could be applied.... what i may want to do in the future if why it wouldnt hurt researching now.