Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building up an engine, piece by piece

Old 02-21-2003, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building up an engine, piece by piece

I've been running into a little bit of trouble purchasing block pieces. I'd like to purchase a block, resleeve it, than pick up a crank, micropolish/service it, and go with aftermarket rods/pistons. $$$ wise, this will probably take time which is why I'd like to buy it piece by piece.
It's just kinda hard finding a bare block, or a block with JUST the crank. I'm looking for a 1.8liter, a B18c1, a b18c5, or a b18c. (Will be resleeving this to 2.0 ) anyone reccomend any shops, i've read as much as i can about places that have complete swaps, but rarely bare blocks, or cranks.

Also, keeping it N/A : What crank would you prefer? the c1? vs. the c5 ?
-a
Old 02-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building up an engine, piece by piece (Beave0101)

bare blocks.. cranks.. usually are in the classified sections. Just ask around.. I'm sure LOTS AND LOTS of people have then. They just dont advertise.. but if you ask I'm sure they'll respond. Get references so you dont get ripped off too..
Old 02-22-2003, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Building up an engine, piece by piece (CRX_VTEC)

I would HIGHLY recommend against this! Save your money and pick up a complete "rebuildable" engine.

Think about this; if you pick up a bare b18c block and it doesn't come with the piston oil squirter, you will probably have to buy it latter from the dealer. At a real high cost! That is just one example that comes to mind quickly. All of the little stuff that you will need will add up quickly.

I totally under stand what you are trying to do (build it as you get the money), but I have to question if it's really cost effective in the long run.

Wes Vann
Old 02-22-2003, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Building up an engine, piece by piece (Wes V)

youcan get a complete block relatively inexpensive i mean prolly under a grand and work off that and strip down the parts you dont need
Old 02-22-2003, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Building up an engine, piece by piece (Wes V)

I agree with Wes V....I pieced to gether my old ls/vtec and it was a pain trying to find everything. You'll probably have to buy new brackets, electrical pieces from honda or a auto part store. It's not fun looking for something, finding it, then finding out that you need something else to make your motor work.

I highly suggest you buy a complete(and I mean complete)longblock at least. Would consider a full swap over that though.

Get a full swap, throw it in the car, then buy a spare motor to work on while you're still driving around with the swap. When you're done, change everything over form teh swap and sell the rest if you have to

[Modified by Paul_Vang, 11:54 AM 2/22/2003]