Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch?

Here is what I have.....

1999 B18C5 JDM
1995 Civic SI hatch
Chipped P28 ECU

What would be the best way to wire my harness for the engine?
Do I use the stock SI harness and transfer the plugs over from the JDM harness? If so does any one have the pin outs to do that. I know I need to switch the distributor, injectors, is there anything else?

Or my second option is that I have a 1996 GSR harness that I can use. From what I understand I can plug right into my OBD1 plugs on the car and the rest of the harness is OBD2 so it should plug into the motor. The question with that is do I just cut off the extra plugs that are not used? And are there any compatibility issues? Is everything wired correctly if I just plug it in?

I want to make the swap clean so I dont want a bunch of wires and **** around.

Thanks for all of the help!

Shawn

[Modified by SoundBuys, 10:57 AM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (SoundBuys)

basically two ways u can do it that would be the easiet. one u can use the gsr harness as long as its a US spec harness. Basically everything will plug into the type r motor expect there will be no crank angle sensor on the motor because the jdm motors did not have them. also there will be no IAB box so that plug will be unused. if u are going to cut the extra plugs off make sure that u tape each end off so there is no connection. Also u will have to run an extra wire from the harness directly to the ecu becuase there is no wires on the engine bay harness for knock. besides that all plug and play. U can even keep the same injectors alternator and distributor that came with the motor. U could also rewire u SI harness by rewiring distributor, alternator, injectors, ad knock. either way will work. both will plug intop the stock car harness
Old 10-17-2002, 09:08 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (MiXeD Up CiViC)

hey i hear you man... im having basically the same problem. i just bought a JDM GSR with p72 ecu, which can be both OBD1 or OBD2, into a 98 ek9. So, i need to either see whether or not the ecu is OBD1 or 2 , even though i ordered a OBD2 motor. basically, my stock plugs should fit, but if for some reason they dont i will need to REwire my wiring harness, basically i have to make my own wiring harness in that case. if thats the case, then ill have to get a helms manual, which in your in the same field your going to have to do. as long as you have the wiring skematics then your fine, but you need to have the HONDA manual, chilton might work, but not as well at helms. If anyone can help me out with this let me know.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (MiXeD Up CiViC)

basically two ways u can do it that would be the easiet. one u can use the gsr harness as long as its a US spec harness. Basically everything will plug into the type r motor expect there will be no crank angle sensor on the motor because the jdm motors did not have them. also there will be no IAB box so that plug will be unused. if u are going to cut the extra plugs off make sure that u tape each end off so there is no connection. Also u will have to run an extra wire from the harness directly to the ecu becuase there is no wires on the engine bay harness for knock. besides that all plug and play. U can even keep the same injectors alternator and distributor that came with the motor. U could also rewire u SI harness by rewiring distributor, alternator, injectors, ad knock. either way will work. both will plug intop the stock car harness
Thanks for the help. If I am to use the GSR harness where do I wire in for the knock sensor?

Old 10-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (SoundBuys)

Run a rechipped P28 (No knock sensor needed) but you'll need a USDM vtec solenoid.

DO NOT **** WITH THE WIRING HARNESS. EVERYTHING PLUGS, I REPEAT EVERYTHING PLUGS UP. Don't cut ****, don't use a GSR harness. Use the one that comes with the swap.

You'll be fine. I had a 98 JDM motor in my car and this is what I did (Now I have a 2001 motor).
Old 10-17-2002, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (Apex i ITR)

Run a rechipped P28 (No knock sensor needed) but you'll need a USDM vtec solenoid.

DO NOT **** WITH THE WIRING HARNESS. EVERYTHING PLUGS, I REPEAT EVERYTHING PLUGS UP. Don't cut ****, don't use a GSR harness. Use the one that comes with the swap.

You'll be fine. I had a 98 JDM motor in my car and this is what I did (Now I have a 2001 motor).
So I am running a chiped P28. I understand that. If I use the JDM harness then I have to totally rewire it because it is right hand drive. Why will I need a USDM vtec solenoid?

Old 10-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have PM.

You don't need to rewire the car. The engine harness will connect to the chassis harness
Old 10-17-2002, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (Apex i ITR)

If it is a complete Harness, no need to rewire...

The Harness will be reversed, so yu might need to lengthen a few wires, etc...

Suprdave
Old 10-18-2002, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (Suprdave)

Ok so if everything plugs in will the wiring be correct? Also I thought the 99 JDM ITR would be OBD2. If it is OBD2 why will it plug into my OBD1 car? Does anyone have a helms manual for the ITR and the 95 SI, I would like to see the wiring for each car to make sure everything is cool.

Thanks all for your help....... this is really helping me!

Shawn
Old 10-18-2002, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't believe there is a difference between the 98-99 ITR (Japanese or otherwise). Plug wise it should work.

Anyone have any evidence to the contrary (About the 98-01 plugs being different then the 92-95 plugs on a civic). I'm going to go out on a limb and say you won't have problem.

I have access to a Integra Manual from Acura but it isn't mine. I do have a Helm's manual @ home though.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have access to a Integra Manual from Acura but it isn't mine. I do have a Helm's manual @ home though.
Would you be able to copy the wiring for both the 95 Civic SI car and the 99 ITR motor so I can make sure everything would wire correct?

Shawn
Old 10-18-2002, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I have.....

1999 B18C5 JDM
1995 Civic SI hatch
Chipped P28 ECU

What would be the best way to wire my harness for the engine?
Do I use the stock SI harness and transfer the plugs over from the JDM harness? If so does any one have the pin outs to do that. I know I need to switch the distributor, injectors, is there anything else?

Or my second option is that I have a 1996 GSR harness that I can use. From what I understand I can plug right into my OBD1 plugs on the car and the rest of the harness is OBD2 so it should plug into the motor. The question with that is do I just cut off the extra plugs that are not used? And are there any compatibility issues? Is everything wired correctly if I just plug it in?

I want to make the swap clean so I dont want a bunch of wires and **** around.

Thanks for all of the help!

Shawn

easy.
What you need is a US 96+/OBD2 integra engine harness . Either ITR or GSR is suggested and easiest to apply since it will plug and play onto all of the OBD2 electronical components on your JDM B18C engine. This harness will also plug n' play onto your EG's main harness plugs located on the passengerside shock tower, minus a few plugs, which you don't need to sweat over.
(you like my runon sentences don't ya!)

You can retain your chipped P28 ecu to power the OBD2 engine, no problem.

[Modified by Katman, 12:59 PM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-18-2002, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (Katman)

Well then I will use my GSR harness that I have. Will the JDM one work though if I make it longer so it will plug in? If I use the JDM one I can save some $$$$

Old 10-18-2002, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No need ot make it longer. It may not be the most ideal way but it'll plug right up (That's what I did to save some money).
Old 10-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then I will use my GSR harness that I have. Will the JDM one work though if I make it longer so it will plug in? If I use the JDM one I can save some $$$$
you can't use the JDM OBD2 engine harness....its for a RHD car. You'l have to find a used or new US OBD2 integra engine harness, that's your only hope if you want everything to go smoothly....plug n' play.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to ApexiITR.
He is the one who told me about using the rhd harness!

The only wire that didnt reach for me was the one from the alternator to the fuse box(I just pulled that wire out of my civic harness and used that one).

Also, if you are using a rechipped p28 ecu, you will need to get a usdm vtec solenoid with the oil pressure switch(cause the jdm itr doesnt have it).

Thanks to ApexiITR for saving me $150

Old 10-21-2002, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (Slopoke)

thanks to everyone for there help!!!!

Shawn
Old 10-21-2002, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (Slopoke)

Glad I could help.

Katman: You've never gotten the JDM wiring harness to work for you before??? Or is that you don't like having to stretch it to connecto the chassis harness.

SoundBuys: I might be able to get you the Integra. I'll see what I can dig up on the civic.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Katman: You've never gotten the JDM wiring harness to work for you before??? Or is that you don't like having to stretch it to connecto the chassis harness.
I've never tried to use a JDM engine harness before.
I've visually inspected a JDM harness; the main harnesss plugs are on the opposite side of the car when comparing to the US counterpart. It's almost all backwards. I'd rather just take the easy route and stick with a US engine harness, since I hate wiring to begin with.

Power to the people who can make a JDM engine harness work in their US vehicle though -->

[Modified by Katman, 8:27 PM 10/21/2002]
Old 10-21-2002, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to wire my JDM B18C5 in to my 95 Civic SI hatch? (Katman)

gotta save this