Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best route to hit 12's with b18c in hatchback cx

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best route to hit 12's with b18c in hatchback cx

Im new to the civic world and I'm hooked. Did my first swap on a 94 hatchy cx 9months ago. Bought a b18c from j-spec and did the swap myself. So far the motor is basically stock, it's night And day compared to the stocker but I'm looking for a little more. I would like to see the car in the mid twelves, just not sure what the best route is. Have searched alot on he Internet and it seems that a turbo is easiest and cheapest way(not trying to be cheap just best route for what I want) was hoping for some advice. it seems auto works makes a good product. Am I going in the right direction?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Best route to hit 12's with b18c in hatchback cx

All motor is the expensive way to go slow
Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

better cams/gears, and intake manifold, then boost. thats about the only thing you can do w/o taking the motor apart
Old 06-14-2012, 11:37 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A turbo system, when done right, is BY NO MEANS cheap. It's just cheaper than trying to do it all-motor.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YeAh I know its not going to be cheap. I'm ordering parts in chunks just prepping the car for the extra power I'm going to be adding to it. Is it worth it to put in a lightened flywheel even if I turbo it. And is a s300 really needed for what I'm trying to achieve. I like full race but feel autoworks best suits what Im looking for. And mentioned Above new cams. What should I look for? Thanxs. HATERS ARE YOUR MOTIVATORS!!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM
The Grumpiest

How are you ordering parts when you don't even know what you need? Is an EMS (S300, Neptune) necessary? Oboy. Do some more reading. Lots of it.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
How are you ordering parts when you don't even know what you need? Is an EMS (S300, Neptune) necessary? Oboy. Do some more reading. Lots of it.
I need to upgrade the clutch from stock right? And how how about that stock fuel pump? I research more than you think. My question was not what I need but what best suited what I was trying to achieve. I did this complete swap with no help except from forums. I don't want to overkill an item if I don't need it. Hence will a lightened flywheel even make a difference and will an s200 suit my needs better than an s300. Yeah I can probably piece together a kit for cheaper but whats your opinion on auotworks. I wouldn't ask these questions if I didn't value your feedback
Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im going n/a in a b18c (gsr). so far ive spent 2800 on pistons, rods, bearings, valves, guides, dual springs, retainers, cams gears, cam shafts, arp head studs kits. i still need to build, then the tuning and machine im estimating around $1000. and i should be done after that.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but then again, i went with all brand names. nothing from ebay or replicas...so that should give you a little idea costly what your looking at for n/a
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Trial&Error
I need to upgrade the clutch from stock right? And how how about that stock fuel pump? I research more than you think. My question was not what I need but what best suited what I was trying to achieve. I did this complete swap with no help except from forums. I don't want to overkill an item if I don't need it. Hence will a lightened flywheel even make a difference and will an s200 suit my needs better than an s300. Yeah I can probably piece together a kit for cheaper but whats your opinion on auotworks. I wouldn't ask these questions if I didn't value your feedback
Put up your parts list. Whether you have the actual parts or not.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know exactly what you mean money wise and thats ok. I think I have 6k so far in this swap. Susp, bushings, disc all around, trac bar, and so much more just ready to take it to the 12's that's all nothing more. Wouldn't mind going into the block but for what I want but I don't think it's needed.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:13 PM
The Grumpiest

https://www.google.com/search?q=gett...ient=firefox-a
Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Put up your parts list. Whether you have the actual parts or not.
Im not saying I've ordered all the parts yet but I'm in the process hence my questions? And I just received drop engineering mounts, my new AC brack b/c summers are hot at the beach, my braided lines for the calipers, im hitting all aspects i can to build a solid car all around, would like to order clutch and fuel pump this weekend. Tempest racing will do the tuning work. Don't be a grump just asked if a lightened street flywheel really makes a difference in a turbo and is an autoworks kit worth it. No need to buy something i won't take full potential of. And I don't feel I have to prove anything to you but thanks for heckling me
Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To answer your original question, yes a turbo system will be the easiest way to get you into the 12's. You don't need to build the engine as long as it's sound and cared for. Go-Autoworks makes really good stuff. There are tons of people using their stuff. A simple turbo set-up, properly tuned (this is the key to balancing power and longevity), a proper 3" exhaust (i.e. Thermal Research and Development or a custom mandrel bent system), Hondata S300 (more options to play with vs 200) and you'll see 12's. Your stock fuel system is fine, but a Walbro 255 pump will be a good upgrade. Get a nice clutch (CM fx300, CC stage 3) and you're set!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Trial&Error
Im not saying I've ordered all the parts yet but I'm in the process hence my questions? And I just received drop engineering mounts, my new AC brack b/c summers are hot at the beach, my braided lines for the calipers, im hitting all aspects i can to build a solid car all around, would like to order clutch and fuel pump this weekend. Tempest racing will do the tuning work. Don't be a grump just asked if a lightened street flywheel really makes a difference in a turbo and is an autoworks kit worth it. No need to buy something i won't take full potential of. And I don't feel I have to prove anything to you but thanks for heckling me
boost on a b series is gonna be extremely hard to have...maybe not able unless you do a full correct tuck but even that may not be enough. D series for sure you can have ac with turbo but not being swapped...intercooler and turbo manifold will be in the way of it.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChaseIntegra
To answer your original question, yes a turbo system will be the easiest way to get you into the 12's. You don't need to build the engine as long as it's sound and cared for. Go-Autoworks makes really good stuff. There are tons of people using their stuff. A simple turbo set-up, properly tuned (this is the key to balancing power and longevity), a proper 3" exhaust (i.e. Thermal Research and Development or a custom mandrel bent system), Hondata S300 (more options to play with vs 200) and you'll see 12's. Your stock fuel system is fine, but a Walbro 255 pump will be a good upgrade. Get a nice clutch (CM fx300, CC stage 3) and you're set!

Thanks. I needed somebody to hammer home what I was already thinking, and a good tune is something I don't plan on being skimpy with. Closest place to me that most people have great responses to is tempest racing in southern Maryland, its a three hour hike, thank god I have a good friend with a roll back. And I run nothing but royal purple. Is a set of cams and gears really needed?