Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Motor For My Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:52 PM
American Extremist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Motor For My Hatch

Hey Guys I Was Wondering What Motor Is The Best Bang For My Buck. I Got A 95 Hatch Primered (Project Car) And I Dont Wanna Internally Build It Cuz I Want It As Reliable As Possible And I Really Dont Wanna Spend Alot

1. B18C1 GSR SWAP

2. B18C-R 96 Spec

3. H22A (Accord Euro R)

THANKS!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:02 AM

People will say H22A is impractical just because it's a lot of work to swap, supposedly. (I've never done it.)

A GSR/B18C1 can be found relatively cheaply, less than $3k for everything and is a pretty popular swap choice.

I don't know anything about B18C-R. So my vote goes to #1, the B18C1. *waits for more replies*
Old 06-23-2008, 04:03 AM
My car breaks a lot!

Default Re: (Davus)

2.2>1.8
Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Best Motor For My Hatch (U.S. Soldier)

whats your budget?
remember for the h swap you will need a mount kit.

and isnt the accord euro r an f20b?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best Motor For My Hatch (boostedcivicsir)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/878010

and the euro r is the f20b not an h22a
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by U.S. Soldier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Guys I Was Wondering What Motor Is The Best Bang For My Buck. I Got A 95 Hatch Primered (Project Car) And I Dont Wanna Internally Build It Cuz I Want It As Reliable As Possible And I Really Dont Wanna Spend Alot

1. B18C1 GSR SWAP &lt;~~ overpriced..

2. B18C-R 96 Spec &lt;~~~ over-rated...

3. H22A (Accord Euro R) &lt;~~~ waste of time...

THANKS!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not just get a D15B or Z6 i/h/e, nice clutch, some decent suspension upgrades and a nice lil tune...??? What's more cost saving and reliable than that..???

You say you don't want to spend a lot, well you have to let us know what's "a lot"..??? I have friends who say that as well but are drivin fully built k20/k24 turbo hatch's, than i also have friends sayin that who are rockin single cams and just spendin their money on look superrrrrrrrr clean... You gotta remember, you have a hatch "like me" so our cars are super light already when compared to our big brother/sister cars, so makin about 140-150hp should have u handin beatdowns to SI's and GSR's anyways... You say u just want a reliable daily driver, i'd say stick with single cam and save ur money for gas or something lol...
Old 06-23-2008, 06:42 AM

B16b cheaper than the b18c5. Just my opinion for ya
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 AM
American Extremist

Default Re: Best Motor For My Hatch (turbojdmhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbojdmhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/878010

and the euro r is the f20b not an h22a</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/s...30019

tahts what i was talking about<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats your budget?
remember for the h swap you will need a mount kit.

and isnt the accord euro r an f20b?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i really dont have a budget, but i bought the hatch for 1500 and i wanna completly build it, paint suspension, interior, etc. for 10,000 or obviouslyl less

THANKS!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

This is easily one of the most wide open, debatable topics possible.

I'd say look into an H2B set up or a K swap since you've got 10K to play with.

I would look through stickied topics in the Hybrid and 92-00 civic forums. Read up on all of it.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 AM
American Extremist

could i do a K20, paint the whole car with some to little body work, coilovers and just stuff like that for 10k?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (U.S. Soldier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by U.S. Soldier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could i do a K20, paint the whole car with some to little body work, coilovers and just stuff like that for 10k?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably not unless you get awesome prices for all the parts and the swap, and do all the swap work yourself.

...but an H2B would leave plenty left over.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
American Extremist

im kinda leading towards a GSR Swapa, anybody have one that can share what they think of them in hatches?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 PM

GSR hatches are decent man, but you gotta think about it... You could build a B16 since ur feindin the dual cam over-rated crowd and be just as fast as a gsr swap.... Building is more fun IMO
Old 06-23-2008, 07:32 PM
American Extremist

very true man, for some reason i didnt think of that, appreicate it
Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by U.S. Soldier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very true man, for some reason i didnt think of that, appreicate it </TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;~~~~~ no homo
Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 PM
American Extremist

Default Re: (1CaMw0nDeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1CaMw0nDeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

&lt;~~~~~ no homo </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, i think a B16 is the best choice, now that i think of it, decent power with a cheap price tag
Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Former Moderator

I've owned a B16A2, B18C1, B18B, and B18C5 and of all of them the B16A is absolutely gutless. If you're building for boost that's fine, but until you boost it it's not an amazing swap. I did a mild N/a D16A6 non-VTEC SOHC build that was faster than i/h/e B16A swaps that cost $1,500-$1,800 more.

With such a lofty budget it'd be a shame to have a B16A. I'm not saying the B16A isn't a great engine, because it is, but it's more for people on a tight budget.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> With such a lofty budget it'd be a shame to have a B16A. I'm not saying the B16A isn't a great engine, because it is, but it's more for people on a tight budget.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I agree with you on the quote of "not the best in the bunch" but at the same time, why spend 3x as much when the same power could be made for far less...??? I understand this guy has $10K to blow, but I guess my mind is more on helping people save money than helping people spend money...

My JDM B16A hatch back from high school was killin gsr's and I only was runnin with i/h/e & a gsr tranny, so everyones experiences are gonna vary I believe would be the more knowledgeable answer... Than once I threw a GSR head on my jdm b16 block, that killin gsr's comment was moved to a MURDERING gsr's... And I only spent 800 for the longblock b16, 350 for the gsr tranny and everything else was bought off ebay or from local autoparts stores and didnt total more than $1500 and was probably one of the cleanest swaps I ever did "out of the grand total of about 150 including many friends cars"...

Of course the displacement of a GSR, ITR, B20/Vtec ect are always gonna be higher, but so is the price... I just can't accept the fact at buying a complete gsr swap from HMOTORS for 3500..!!!! That's just insanely ugly if you ask me, but like I said prior, to each his own... Some people get more gratification off spending that extra $2k when I get more gratification saving that extra $2k and putting it more towards something to better my engine/power stance...

For Less than $5k by shopping around, you could fully build a B16 and boost it and be shittin on close to any other swap available... Look at youtube, theres several all stock b16's just sprayin like 75 shots that are runnin low 12's, and thats on OEM internals..!!! I've always been more a single cam guy, just for that simple fact... I can build a D15B or D16Z6 on that same budget and produce those same #'s and save even more money, but like I said to each his own... Some people just feel better by explaining that their motor starts with the letter B, when the only word that starts with the letter B in any build i've done has been Budget.. GL dude, and don't waste your money just because others tell you that it's the right thing to do, shop around, take your time, and choose wisely because for the 2x the amount of money you're gonna pay for some items, you could save an assload and still produce very nice numbers, and even have some money left to take out the neighborhood hottie..!!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:37 PM
American Extremist

Thats For All The Input, Looks Like I Got A LOT Of Research To Do, Im Also Going To Ask Him Cuz He Has The Most Honda Knowledge Out Of Anyone I Know!!! Thanks Guys!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a stock 87 x 90.7 Honda VTEC motor with one of the shorter B-Series trannys and call it a day. H2B.

B series is the new D series.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:36 AM

Default Re: (2point2)

If you have 10K to spend for your project I agree that you should take your time, look around and find the absolute best deals on the stuff you buy. Why not get the most out of your dollars? As for motors I would absolutely not stay with the single slam the B series are built just so much better and take a lot more abuse.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:39 AM

blah.... i still say save ur $$$ man... just cuz u have $10k to blow doesn't mean blow it on a B series cuz everyone else has one lol... I'd build a D16Z6, like fully build one, that just sit back and look at ur 786hp dyno when you're done and just admire it with a big smile...
Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (2point2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take a stock 87 x 90.7 Honda VTEC motor with one of the shorter B-Series trannys and call it a day. H2B.

B series is the new D series. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Back before the H2B set-up existed I hated H swaps because of the crappy trannies and cable shifters, but since the H2B utilizes the superios B tranny gearing and shifter I'd suggest an H2B for the alotted budget.

Hate all you want guys, but an H2B set-up can be had cheaply enough. H22A engines are what, $1,200? B tranny $400-$800.00? conversion kit $1,500? there are opther misc. pieces involved, but the point is that for less than a GS-R swap you can have an easy 190whp/150ft-lbs. of torque from an i/h/e H22A (some have made more lol) and it would destroy any B series with the same mods.

I love the SOHC too, but you'd have to run more boosy just to be level with a boosted B, etc. etc. unless he already has a D16Z6 he'd be wasting money finding one just to build it, and the price of SOHC VTEC engines has shot up in the past year or so.

Also my remarks about the B16A are based on personal experiences and also those of working in a Honda/Acura shop and having driven tons of different set-ups. Beating like-modded B18C1 swaps with a B16A is NOT common unless the drivers of the other cars all suck. I won't say that someone has't beaten GS-Rs with his B16A, but then again I've beaten B16As with a stockish D16Z6 before too. I still wouldn't say "get a D16Z6 - it's faster than a B16A!" though.

Generally speaking the B18C1 will out power a same-modded B16A by roughly 10-15whp and murder it on torque (20-25ft-lbs. more) and the power across the entire rpm range of the 1.8L cannot be compared to the peaky, high strung B16A.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Back before the H2B set-up existed I hated H swaps because of the crappy trannies and cable shifters, but since the H2B utilizes the superios B tranny gearing and shifter I'd suggest an H2B for the alotted budget.

Hate all you want guys, but an H2B set-up can be had cheaply enough. H22A engines are what, $1,200? B tranny $400-$800.00? conversion kit $1,500? there are opther misc. pieces involved, but the point is that for less than a GS-R swap you can have an easy 190whp/150ft-lbs. of torque from an i/h/e H22A (some have made more lol) and it would destroy any B series with the same mods.

I love the SOHC too, but you'd have to run more boosy just to be level with a boosted B, etc. etc. unless he already has a D16Z6 he'd be wasting money finding one just to build it, and the price of SOHC VTEC engines has shot up in the past year or so.

Also my remarks about the B16A are based on personal experiences and also those of working in a Honda/Acura shop and having driven tons of different set-ups. Beating like-modded B18C1 swaps with a B16A is NOT common unless the drivers of the other cars all suck. I won't say that someone has't beaten GS-Rs with his B16A, but then again I've beaten B16As with a stockish D16Z6 before too. I still wouldn't say "get a D16Z6 - it's faster than a B16A!" though.

Generally speaking the B18C1 will out power a same-modded B16A by roughly 10-15whp and murder it on torque (20-25ft-lbs. more) and the power across the entire rpm range of the 1.8L cannot be compared to the peaky, high strung B16A.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
This seems like one of the smartest post in this thread. I say go H2b or if your not a cheap *** like me go K24, not K20. There really is no replacement for displacement so don't listen to the B16 guy, cause guarenteed if he went to the track with that b16 he would've done 15s and if he was lucky a high 14. A 2007 Nissan Maxima does 14.9 so what's the point. I realized there was no replacement for displacement when I did my bone stock B20vtec and even before I put the Vtec head on it felt faster than the GSR swap I previously owne, plus I murdered every bseries swap out there that was not built. Well even some built Bs. The reason I'm going H2b now is out of all those races I won (lost count) I lost to an H22 EG hatch, and he didn't even have a Bseries tranny. He was full H. My B20vtec did a 13.7@101 on BFG drag radials full interior 92 LX 4dr 2490 with me so with slicks and no interior I had a possible a 12.90 car, so i think it's safe to say my car wasn't slow

Modified by CRAZY-EG9 at 10:29 AM 6/26/2008
Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 AM

Default Re: (CRAZY-EG9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRAZY-EG9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This seems like one of the smartest post in this thread. I say go H2b or if your not a cheap *** like me go K24, not K20. There really is no replacement for displacement so don't listen to the B16 guy, cause guarenteed if he went to the track with that b16 he would've done 15s and if he was lucky a high 14. A 2007 Nissan Maxima does 14.9 so what's the point. I realized there was no replacement for displacement when I did my bone stock B20vtec and even before I put the Vtec head on it felt faster than the GSR swap I previously owne, plus I murdered every bseries swap out there that was not built. Well even some built Bs. The reason I'm going H2b now is out of all those races I won (lost count) I lost to an H22 EG hatch, and he didn't even have a Bseries tranny. He was full H. My B20vtec did a 13.7@101 on BFG drag radials full interior 92 LX 4dr 2490 with me so with slicks and no interior I had a possible a 12.90 car, so i think it's safe to say my car wasn't slow

Modified by CRAZY-EG9 at 10:29 AM 6/26/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'm not a B16 guy oh so knowledgeable one, I'm someone who believes in helping others save not spend, so I guess I just can't fathom spending $5k on something that's still not gonna make you any faster than a budget built single cam... Ya still with me so far, k good... You lost to an H22 EG hatch all stock, but you murdered every B series you ever raced huh...?? ::cough cough :... Ok so what do K swaps run now and days once they're completed, like $6-$8k sometimes more..??? Of course you don't care about helping someone else spend their money, you're even offering ways of helping him blow his bank account in a matter of weeks, but to me "someone who's actually willing to be honest and help others save more and still produce nice #'s" Why not buy a b16, sleeve it, build it, boostit, tune it to 25psi and call it a day...???" And still walk away with almost 1/2 of your money compared to a K24 swap..???

My boosted z6 hatch walks off on any b20/vtec i've raced, gsr hatch i've raced, h22 hatch i've raced "my brothers", and they are all semi-modded, but do I run to the dealer and buy a new 08 Evolution VIII MR edition because i lost to one at the track..??? No, i just invest more into what i've already got and keep on pushin... Like i said, when it's your budget its piece by piece, when it's someone elses is SPLURGE SPLURGE SPLURGE... Guess I was just brought up with more moral on helpin than destroyin...

Not sayin B20/Vtec's aren't fast, cuz they are... Once you build'm boost'm and tune'm... Otherwise I just say they're a huge waste of $1000's of dollars, but to each his own...

To the OP, just build what you desire and do plenty of research along the way... I live at the track dude, i've seen stock b16 swaps in ef, eg, ek hatches with small nitrous shots runnin low 13's high 12's so don't let the bench racer dude inspire you otherwise...

Quick Reply: Best Motor For My Hatch