Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q

Old 03-26-2003, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q

Im looking at Skunk2 (which has the same basic casting as the TypeR manifold correct?) and the JG Edelbrock unit. Which of the TWO is better for a N/A CRVTEC setup?

Anyone got a link to a DYNO on adding just an intake manifold? I know Skunk2 claims 8-15 HP on N/A motors, but with driveline loss im guessing I will only see 4-5 hp @ the wheels?

Here will be the basic setup (To change once I start asking some questions about a few products)

B16 (1rst gen) head
USDM B20 block
Custom CAI
Larger throttle body (Eriks, spoon, other suggestions?)
Skunk2 Intake manifold
Skunk2 Cams & Cam gears
Wiseco higher compression pistons & Eagle rods
4-1 header
No cat & 2.5" exhaust
Old 03-26-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (iH8BiTeRz)

For N/A I would go with the Skunk2 or the ITR, if it was turbo, then I would suggest the JG.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (All Motor Rex)

From what I can find, the JG creates the power way up in the RPM band right? (like 7k - 10k) Correct?

This is some place my baby will never get to see
Old 03-26-2003, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (iH8BiTeRz)

yes, better for the track but on the street a b16 extrude honed will do VERY well at the lower most commonly seen rpms...there was a dyno shootout in HCI magazine like last year that proved it but without even the extrude hone job
Old 03-26-2003, 06:18 PM
New User

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (Ruby Civic)

For NA the honda type R is much better than the skunk 2 IM. I will trust the honda engineer's over the skunk 2's. Most of skunk 2's products are iffy The jg is the worse of the 3 by far. My vote is for the type R
Old 03-27-2003, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (Allstar)

here is a b20/vtec N/A dyno of a type r and the JG

http://www.ef-1.com/modules.php?name...viewtopic&t=18
Old 03-27-2003, 10:15 AM

Which line is which? LOL
Old 03-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For NA the honda type R is much better than the skunk 2 IM. I will trust the honda engineer's over the skunk 2's. Most of skunk 2's products are iffy The jg is the worse of the 3 by far. My vote is for the type R
Back to reality...the skunk2 is an exact casting of the JDM ITR Intake Manifold, with the only changes being to the mounting holes. Also, they are setup to use IACV from GSR or ITR.

Suprdave
Old 03-27-2003, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (Suprdave)

Yeah I thought it was the same casting too!
Old 03-27-2003, 06:14 PM
New User

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (Suprdave)

Back to reality...the skunk2 is an exact casting of the JDM ITR Intake Manifold, with the only changes being to the mounting holes. Also, they are setup to use IACV from GSR or ITR.

Suprdave
Sorry but I don't care what skunk 2 says, the type R is better.

Edit/ So if its an exact casting than it will perform exatly the same right?

[Modified by Allstar, 7:17 PM 3/27/2003]
Old 03-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Show me a Dyno Chart where the ITR Outperforms the Skunk2 on exact same mods...
Old 03-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly, and one horsepower differences don't count. They are the same thing, the one that you can get for the best price, get that one.

Anyone see larry's ported skunk2 manifold pics on the new site?
Old 03-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (riceboy)

Anyone see larry's ported skunk2 manifold pics on the new site?
*Has One* Might be for sale if I get the right offer, it's polished exterior too...

Suprdave
Old 03-29-2003, 06:43 PM

B16 manifold extrude honed has been dyno proven on CRVTEC to make more power than almost all manifolds on the market...

Don't buy into the hype.. Skink 2 and the rest are hype and are only good for VERY high rev cars that put out 200whp +..

Flame away--- these are facts..
Old 03-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (Drag_On)

B16 manifold extrude honed has been dyno proven on CRVTEC to make more power than almost all manifolds on the market...

Don't buy into the hype.. Skink 2 and the rest are hype and are only good for VERY high rev cars that put out 200whp +..

Flame away--- these are facts..
They are hype, yet they make a difference with 200whp+...you contradict yourself. So basically they are hype if your build a puss-*** motor?

Suprdave
Old 03-30-2003, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one horsepower differences don't count.
.1 horsepower should count. More is more.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:26 AM
New User

I don't have a dyno chart sorry. When I was building my motor I put alot of thought and research into what intake manifold to use for my pr3 head. My engine builder Dan Paramore highly recommeded a type R over the skunk. I will take Dan's word and experience with top end flow over yours, skunk 2's corporate marketing and any dyno chart. I also believe that dyno charts can be used easily to inflate the HP of a crappy product. I also found it interesting that Erick Aguilar's motor has a gsr intake manifold and not a skunk 2.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (Drag_On)

Looks like ill be needing the Skunk2 then
Old 03-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put alot of thought and research into what intake manifold to use for my pr3 head.
Dewd, are you an idiot? The main reason that Skunk2 came out with a manifold is because the ITR Manifold wont fit up to a GSR Head. That's the main reason they sell them. The reason Dan P recommended a ITR is because it's the exact same thing as the skunk2, therefore furthering my point. You sir, should close your mouth...This is a perfect example of internet regurgitation that plagues this board.

Suprdave
Old 03-30-2003, 03:03 PM
New User

I put alot of thought and research into what intake manifold to use for my pr3 head.

Dewd, are you an idiot? The main reason that Skunk2 came out with a manifold is because the ITR Manifold wont fit up to a GSR Head. That's the main reason they sell them. The reason Dan P recommended a ITR is because it's the exact same thing as the skunk2, therefore furthering my point. You sir, should close your mouth...This is a perfect example of internet regurgitation that plagues this board.

Suprdave
WTF are you saying. If its exactly the same then it will make exactly the same power on a dyno. It doesn't make exactly the same power on the dyno therefor its not exactly the same. Your logic is horrible and your arguement is not valid

Super dave recommends the skunk 2 but Ericks racing runs the factory gsr intake manifold, and he has the fastest ffwd car in the world. You be the judge.

super dave = super terd

[Modified by Allstar, 4:05 PM 3/30/2003]
Old 03-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The name calling is cool and all...

Anyways:

First of all, you never presented a dyno sheet. 2nd, the only way to properly compare the 2 would be back to back dyno runs with the same correction factor and zero tuning change. 3rd, You can't possibly compare a factory intake manifold to a 'all-out race engine's manifold'. Word round the campfire is Joe Alainz has 100+hrs of flowbench time on that particular manifold. That's like comparing my ported Skunk2 to your stock itr and saying how much better it is. Apple to Orange pal, and like I said...your an idiot. Superdave isn't my sn fucko.

Suprdave - no 'e'
Old 03-30-2003, 03:52 PM
New User

The campfire is not a reliable source for info superdave, and do you think skunk 2 put any R & D into there intake manifold????

"The reason Dan P recommended a ITR is because it's the exact same thing as the skunk2, therefore furthering my point"

Your point is bullshit, everyone can see it and I hate to break it to ya but Dan P did not recommend the type R over the skunk 2 because there "exactly" the same, there not, that statement is funny.

Well, the only point I can gather from all your statements is that the skunk 2 is exactly the same as the type R. This would apply if the creator of the thread had a gsr head but he doesn't, he has a pr3. If the skunk 2 and Type R are exatly the same then why are your recommending the skunk 2 to him.

My point is, Dan P and Erick A. have alot more accomplishments and experience in racing than you or me therefore I am going to say that their opinion is a more crediable source than yours.

Get off the skunk 2 bandwagon superdave
Old 03-30-2003, 04:05 PM

Thanks for hijacking guys...

[Modified by iH8BiTeRz, 1:06 AM 3/31/2003]
Old 03-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dewd, all your talking is alot of steam...

I'm sure dave would show you his 'racing accomplishments' anytime, for the right ammount of money. I doubt you'd sit with him though.

Old 03-30-2003, 04:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q (Monk-)

We are just debating, its all fun and games.

I still don't see his point, sorry, maybe its a Chicago thing?
I've been racing for awhile myself, its to bad we live so far away.

I've seen skunk 2 IM's that won't fit onto the head and require dremel work, that is high quality! Theres also a good thread on team-integra.net that skunk 2 cam gears are not marked correctly. I've owned both intake manifolds and am presenting my opinion which is backed up by reliable and more accomplished racers than "suprdave" .

[Modified by Allstar, 5:20 PM 3/30/2003]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Intake Manifold for N/A - CRVTEC? And other tuning Q