Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball bearings fell out of engine hoist!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 04:48 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball bearings fell out of engine hoist!?

Not sure which forum to post this question, but here goes

Earlier tonight, I picked up a new engine hoist from Pep Boys
It's their 2-ton Torin "Big-Red" engine hoist
Anyways, the package was new/sealed and it looked fine so I bought it ($119 on sale)

When I got home, I unloaded the box from my car and laid the box down on its side on my driveway. I noticed a pile of very small ball bearings (approx 200-300 of them, about the size of a head of a pin) and some brown dirt created a small pile as well. The box had ripped a little bit where one of the heavier pieces of metal had poked through the cardboard.

I carefully opened the box and removed all the components, one by one. Everything appeared intact and I couldn't figure out why they packed all these little ball bearings and dirt in there. .....

I inspected the hydraulic pump - looked fine.
I looked at the ball bearings for the caster wheels, and they were a much larger size than the little ones that spilled out onto my driveway and they were all there.

... any ideas?
Just wondering if any of you with a new hoist have unpacked and seen this before.
I hope everything is ok with my hoist. It's a heavy mother (!) so I'd prefer not to lug it back to where I bought it (30 min drive)

* update - 2 pics I took with my d-camera

Modified by TAG at 6:49 PM 11/21/2004