Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B20vtec Starts and Immediately Dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20vtec Starts and Immediately Dies

Hello all! Hoping to get some help with my b20vtec in my CRX. As you can see from the title it starts strong but then immediately dies. I will try to attach a video. Compression is 220-220-225-240, I have fuel, spark, and it is in time. Tested the resistance on the CYP, CKP, and TDC sensors and all are within spec. Grounds to thermostat, transmission, and valve cover are good. I pulled the d15 in January and it was running fine so I wouldn't think that they problem would be with the ignition switch or main relay (fuel pump primes too). I should also mention that the spark plugs were wet with fuel when I checked them; I'm guessing its because the motor dies so quickly but could be something. Just curious about what I should try next. Here are my specs: B20z2 with a GSR head, Skunk2 intake manifold and throttle body, Hondata intake manifold gasket, DSM 440 injectors, Skunk2 Pro Stage 3 cams with Skunk2 valve train (valves, springs, retainers, LMA's), Golden Eagle head gasket, 84.5mm pistons (I calculated 12.3:1 compression ratio), chipped p28 with a basemap programmed for my parts (yes, I know I will still need to get a tune). I had previously converted the car to MPFI and it ran great. Again, looking for some things to try next; any help is appreciated!

Edit: Don't know why I couldn't upload the video but here is a youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Oi...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-19-2019, 04:28 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: B20vtec Starts and Immediately Dies

Originally Posted by rplatt
Hello all! Hoping to get some help with my b20vtec in my CRX. As you can see from the title it starts strong but then immediately dies. I will try to attach a video. Compression is 220-220-225-240, I have fuel, spark, and it is in time. Tested the resistance on the CYP, CKP, and TDC sensors and all are within spec. Grounds to thermostat, transmission, and valve cover are good. I pulled the d15 in January and it was running fine so I wouldn't think that they problem would be with the ignition switch or main relay (fuel pump primes too). I should also mention that the spark plugs were wet with fuel when I checked them; I'm guessing its because the motor dies so quickly but could be something. Just curious about what I should try next. Here are my specs: B20z2 with a GSR head, Skunk2 intake manifold and throttle body, Hondata intake manifold gasket, DSM 440 injectors, Skunk2 Pro Stage 3 cams with Skunk2 valve train (valves, springs, retainers, LMA's), Golden Eagle head gasket, 84.5mm pistons (I calculated 12.3:1 compression ratio), chipped p28 with a basemap programmed for my parts (yes, I know I will still need to get a tune). I had previously converted the car to MPFI and it ran great. Again, looking for some things to try next; any help is appreciated!

Edit: Don't know why I couldn't upload the video but here is a youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Oi...ature=youtu.be

That didn't sound like a strong start...
Old 05-20-2019, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you degree the cams? Pro 3 cams with what 84.5mm pistons?
Old 05-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
Did you degree the cams? Pro 3 cams with what 84.5mm pistons?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, 84.5mm pistons and I did degree the cams. I don't think I got it perfect as it was my first time degreeing cams. I felt like I could get it close and take care of the rest during tuning but I'm starting to wonder if that was false thinking. What do you think?
Old 05-21-2019, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

What kind of separation did you end up with Intake/Exhaust?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
What kind of separation did you end up with Intake/Exhaust?
-2 on the intake side, +1 exhaust