Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b20 swapped Corvair!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default b20 swapped Corvair!

i am already ***** deep in a honda b20 turbo swap on my 1966 Chevy Corvair, and by ***** deep i mean it runs and drives pretty well

here is the car

here is an older engine bay shot

Some background specs
- Stock JDM high compression b20, Bell-housing made to fit Corvair Trans-axel
-MegaSquirt 1 ecu, with Ford EDIS ignition
-14point7 Sparten Wideband
- T25 Turbocharger from saab 9000, currently set to 6psi during the cars shake down period
-550cc fuel injectors
-air to water intercooler
-Disk brakes made from 12 inch corvette rotors, Saab calipers, and ford Master cylinder
-suspension lowered 2.25 inchs, custom valved shocks, fully nylon bushings, with adjustable rear control arms.
-roll cage,
-hydraulic clutch conversion
-Cable throttle conversion (on Corvairs, this is a big thing)
- Saab 9-5 Alternator

a little bit more background on me
I've been tuning saabs for a number of years, and run MikeDtuning.com. this is a personal toy car ive been working on for the last 4 years, and has been my MegaSquirt learning car. After blowing up two air cooled motors, (due to excessive heat) i decided to take a different route. and am very happy i did, the honda motor makes much more power!

I am also on here to hopefully help me find parts, Mostly small things

Currently, i need an Idle Air Valve plug pigtail. it should fit a 99-00 CRV

It would also be nice to pull from the honda knowledge base for tuning, i am ok at hitting targets for tuning, just am unsure at the points these motors seam the most happy.

Mike D
Old 03-18-2015, 04:32 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: b20 swapped Corvair!

I can't believe there aren't any comments yet. That is some bad *** hybrid my fellow fabricator! Well done indeed. I remember these cars from my youth, we scrapped most of them for real hot rods. Your twist with the B series is dead on for the HP required to make that fun. Congrats.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the support, this motor is loads better than the air cooled lump i pulled out.

it also goes a long way to work with 1960s gear ratios, on the old motor revving at 3k rpms while doing 70mph seamed like torture, with this motor 3k rpms is right in the sweet spot.

when i was putting it together i built it in a way that had torque in mind, so i opted for a full mass flywheel, and a smaller turbocharger. I am very happy with the result. the turbo spins up at 1200 rpms, and gives the motor great low end grunt, and a lot of area under the curve when looking at the power band. its nice having the power to get the rear end around a corner!!

when i was planning it out, a honda motor seamed like the only logical option due to the Counter Clockwise rotation. This saved me lots of time and energy because it let me use the stock trans Its also a bonus that they are light, and easy to keep cool.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:12 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just love the old school meets new school hybrids. This has a lot of room for future mods and a cleaner presentation but you have all the benefits of driving and modifying as you go. That is a plus to stay interested in a big project as it moves along.
When in cali I saw a few custom Corvairs that I had to get some pics of. The one is a pure stock very well detailed and the other is a rally car with a fully built small block chevy and a four speed. That car could really cook! There were several trophies that didn't get in the shot this car won. Hope you like them and good luck with the future upgrades.
Attached Images    
Old 10-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its probably time from some much needed updates here, so here is a big one!

I've been driving the **** out of it this summer, Its a lot of fun, the T25 turbo from a saab 9000 is a great fit, and still has lots of room to grow. it also spools very fast, making great low end torque. This allows you to do pretty terrific powerslides.

I also dynoed it last week, On 6 psi, at a mustang dyno it made 183whp, and 167 wtq. Given this is only 6 psi i am very happy with the results, im sure anuther 4-5 psi will really make it scary!

Here is it running on the dyno!

Dyno Graph, since the run i have gotten the rich spot ironed out, and torque to level off a little more on the upper end

and a local VW meet called Staggered

At a local beech

Last edited by MikeDTuning; 10-23-2015 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-23-2015, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More pics of the bay?
Old 10-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here ya go!

It surprises me how little the honda world cares about this.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's pretty freakin awsome, sick fab work
Old 10-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty cool
Old 10-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

You definitely have a unique swap done there... you would likely get more positive responses if the install was cleaner, and the engine made MORE power. I am not knocking here, just responding to your surprise in the lack of feedback.

I am a fan of thinking outside the box. Keep it up.

Incidentally, I am both a Honda fan and a Chevy fan... and I totally dig your '91-92 16" Camaro wheels on there !!!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill clean it up this winter, When you are the first person to do something you need to accept that debugging will need to happen. In reality if i made everything "clean" the first time, i would have to rip it down 10 times, and put it back together equally as many, And for all i know, parts i used to make it look "clean" would not work in the long run anyways.

the numbers will go up, 6psi is nothing. these turbos ran 12psi on a 2.3 liter motor stock, and usually go to 16 before they start making hot air. At 12 psi i would expect to be in the low-mid 200's
Old 11-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, i finally turned the wick up, its running 11 psi right now, and much. much faster,, i think its time to hit the dyno again!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

That's the spirit !!! Make sure you have a really efficient heat exchange core for your air-to-water inter-cooler along with a high volume electric pump there and then tune it up !!! 11psi should be no problem with cool intake air and a quality tune. Love to see your new dyno graphs.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PSI doesnt break things, torque does.

the inter cooler is very efficient, and the injectors are still not cycleing more than 55% at WOT and 6500 rpms. i am running 550cc injectors,

i am hopefully going to hit the dyno again this week for an hour, and get the tune dialed in. i suspect 220-240whp and about the same in torque will be the end result
Old 12-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is a quick video i shot in mexico opening it up,, i feel comfortable calling it "quick"

Actully, i think the power delivery, and total amount it perfect for the street, where it is fun, and you can really grow with it, but not be scared of it. it also happens at a low enough RPM where it is making lots of "area under the curve"

Running though second and 3rd gear (remember, its a 4spd) clutch slipping going into third

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-30-2016, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So after a winter of work, and cleaning things up, i finally got a chance to re-dyno it, It made 218whp, and 233ft/lbs There is a rich spot above 5k rpms causing a torque drop, that has since been dialed out, i would expect hp, and torque to be about level now.

The improvements made over the winter? New turbo, its is now a Mitsubishi Tdo4 15t. (great turbo) it flows about 30% more than the old unit, and spools up just as fast, It also keeps EGTs lower

i also cleaned up under the engine bay a lot, made new lines for the turbo, relocated the rad to the back seat, and got guages working inside the car (like tach, oil pres, and coolent temp)

Car is coming along, and still driving! i hope to be at a honda meet some time this summer
Old 07-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! Glad i found somebody doing the same thing. Your car sounds great man props all the way. I've heard of v8 swaps and I seen 4 cylinder swaps down the grapevine so I went ahead and bought a b20 also because of the reverse rotation already being there. Any advice? And you can use the original transmission from the corvair?
Old 08-01-2016, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Erlandhay000
Hey! Glad i found somebody doing the same thing. Your car sounds great man props all the way. I've heard of v8 swaps and I seen 4 cylinder swaps down the grapevine so I went ahead and bought a b20 also because of the reverse rotation already being there. Any advice? And you can use the original transmission from the corvair?
yes you can use the original transmission, and yes i have tons of advice from things i screwed up the first time

Feel free to email me
ScreamingSPG@gmail.com