Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid / Engine Swaps (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/)
-   -   B20 into 94 Civic cx (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/b20-into-94-civic-cx-3318504/)

Toat13 04-16-2018 11:02 PM

B20 into 94 Civic cx

Hey, so, got a few questions. Now, before y'all start yelling at me, yes, i have looked around, and I have learned a lot from the forums. However, even still, I have a few "situation" specific questions that I would like clarification on, as I am not 100% certain on the answer. Anyhow, onto the questions...
As the title says, b20 into 94 civic hatch cx. Seen several lists of parts for what I need, Obd1 harness, stock engine mounts, and a few other things. What I'm not certain about, is, does any of the needed items change if I instead get the b20z. Slightly more expensive, but a few people sorta-kinda said that with the b20z (along with more hp) less parts are needed, ie intake manifold. If so, what does the different part list look like for the b20z? Next questions (only two left), on hmotors there is a 3rd option for motor, a p8r head, i believe. I found very little info on this engine, and would like to know you guys' opinion on it. Would it change anything, really? Finally, tranny. Looking at the ls tranny rn for the swap. Big complaint I see with the engine is the gears are too long, that their car is too slow. While for them that may be so, my car currently has a stock 70hp engine, a tranny with the longest f-ing gears I've ever seen in my life, etc etc. The tranny will work fine for me, right? It won't actually be slow, at least compared to what I'm used to?
For anyone who's made it this far, my long term plan for the engine would be to put a b16 head on the engine one day, which is why i initially stayed away from the b20z. more money for heads that I won't even be using in the long run. Again, looking for your opinion in the matter.
If anyone has done this swap and knows 100% what I need, feel free to pm me with what exactly you used. I'm an information sponge rn, so just hit me with it!

Toat13 04-22-2018 11:08 PM

Re: B20 into 94 Civic cx

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but again, any additional advice would be and is appreciated!

NVturbo 04-24-2018 02:28 AM

B20/VTEC has been done since the late 90s. My honest advice, do your research because the way it sounds, it's way over your head at this point.

Chrisfrom1986 04-24-2018 02:55 AM

Make sure the block you get uses the same drivers side mount, 2 bolt vs 3 bolt. They can be easily swapped if not. You reuse your engine harness, the only issue you might have is the o2 sensor if your car originally came with a 1 wire o2 and you'll probably need an extension harness for it even if it is a 4 wire o2 depending on what header you use. Further down you'll need a cat that goes under the car instead of on the exhaust manifold and the matching midpipe since the cx is now too long and is super small diameter. I pulled a b16 out of my dx hatch and dropped in a b20z2 with the b16 trans. It runs through the gears quick on a stock obd1 p75 ecu. I think I paid about $125 for it at the junkyard out of a crv with dented fender.