Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b18c5 eg swap question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c5 eg swap question?

Sup,
I just picked up my B18c5 and i am really excited to get her in but i have some questions maybe you guys can help me out with. I am using a b16 tranny so i have the mount for that but what mounts do i need to buy as far as honda factory mounts and what mounts can i use off my eg? i also know i cant use the stock obd2 itr ecu so i will get a p28 or p30 but what about the wiring is it just a matter of getting an Ex wiring harness and plug it up? I heard that the distributor is different so i have to rewire that also but i just need all the info if anyone can help me out id appreicate it. I cant find any sites or forums that have a straight forward swap guide like for the b16 or anything so any info would be great thanx alot peace steve.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:53 PM
Trial User

Default Re: b18c5 eg swap question? (jdm junkee)

First off if you did a search on here you'd find your answer, but Im feeling nice tonight so I wont make you do the work.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm junkee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am using a b16 tranny so i have the mount for that but what mounts do i need to buy as far as honda factory mounts and what mounts can i use off my eg?</TD></TR></TABLE>
You can retain all of your EG mounts, but you will need to use a B series upper tranny mount.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm junkee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i also know i cant use the stock obd2 itr ecu so i will get a p28 or p30 but what about the wiring is it just a matter of getting an Ex wiring harness and plug it up?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Why cant you use the stock ITR ecu???? Get an OBD2-OBD1 jumper harness and you can. Or you can get an OBD1 p28, but make sure the person doing the work knows that it needs to be setup for a 1.8L motor.

As for the dizzy, if you use a ITR harness you wont have a problem. On the other hand, if you are using your EG harness (not recommended), then yes you will need to swap dizzy plugs and rewire. OBD1=2 plug dizzy OBD2=1 plug dizzy. Just get yourself on ITR engine harness, no problems with it plugging into anything. OBD2 engine harnesses plug right into OBD1 shock tower plugs, no problem.

There you go. Need more help? IM me at ek9gsrhybrid.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: b18c5 eg swap question? (TODAeg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can retain all of your EG mounts, but you will need to use a B series upper tranny mount.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

this info is partially wrong.
You cannot reuse all SOHC EG mounts on a B-series engine. You can only reuse the top tranny mount. In conjunction with this, jdm junkee, you will need to get these mounts from any 5speed 94-01 integra (if your B18C5 didn't come with any mounts):
- front tranny mount
- A/C bracket
- rear engine bracket ("L" shaped)
- timing-belt side mount (3-post liquid filled aluminum mount)

If you're B18C5 is a true US ITR engine, and if it comes equipped with an engine harness, you can fully use it in your EG and I highly suggest to. Its 100% backwards compatible w/OBD1 wiring/vehicles. Using this harness will allow you to use the OBD2 engine electronics (injectors, distributor, alternator, etc) and make the wireing side of the swap way way easier on your conscience. I suggest using your P28 ecu as well.....and having it reprogrammed to DOHC VTEC spec (hit me up if you need this service )
Old 12-31-2003, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: b18c5 eg swap question? (jdm junkee)

Which year and model are you going to be installing the C5 into? If it's a 92 (any model) then using the USDM ITR harness (or any with the VTEC wiring embedded) will be plug and play with minimal extra wiring. If it's a 93+ nonVTEC model then you will have some additional wiring to do. If the C5 is complete with all of it's OBD2 components, I would definitely get an OBD2 ITR or GSR engine harness to make it all plug and play.
As Katman mentioned, it would be easiest to use a chipped P28 ECU so there's no need for an ECU adapter harness or any of that. If you want to or must go OBD2 (for emissions or whatever reason) then I would try to get an OBD2 JDM P73 if possible, which will eliminate some extra wiring.
If you are looking for a good write-up for a B series swap into an EG, then check this out: B18C1 into EG Swap
Old 12-31-2003, 05:59 AM

good post fellas!
Old 01-01-2004, 03:49 PM

best bet is to get an LSD in the b16 tranny before installin, it will be waste of such a nice motor