Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18c1 into a 92 civic VX

Old 01-31-2002, 04:53 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18c1 into a 92 civic VX

My Supra is going to be in the shop for a while and when it gets done it will be a little more than what i will want to drive in rain and such. I have a 92 civic VX and I also have a 97 Complet Gsr swap with axles, motor, tranny, and ECU and I was wondering what is invovled in the swap. I have looked at http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/ and I didnt get much info from that though. I have allready done a search and what I have gotten from my searches is that the motor will bolt in with no problems. My question is what needs to be done for wiring? Will my alxles from the 97 Gsr work for the axels? Can I just purchase a prewired kit from hasport? What else needs to be changed. I need to put together some info soon because I have a month to get this swap done before the supra is gone to the shop. thanks for the help and if all you are going to respond is that I need to search than please dont respond.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:51 AM
New User

Default Re: B18c1 into a 92 civic VX (10sec.civic)

please somebody has to know something about this swap. thanks
Old 02-01-2002, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok here you go
Axles: the GSR axles are just what you need, you can use any B-series axles with that swap.
Wiring: Use a OBDI GSR ECU and OBDI wiring harness. since you have a VX you shouldn't run into any problems b/c you already have VTEC. the only thing that you have to do really is make that OBDI to match your car since that motor is a 97(OBDII)
Old 02-01-2002, 07:11 AM

Hey:

I am in the middle of my first swap, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think you are going to have issues with the OBDII engine in an OBD I car. Call a couple of the engine swap places and see what they say. Maybe somebody can program your ecu to work??? I don't know how to get that to work.

All the mounts should line up, and I think the axles will be fine too. There is a pictorial step-by-step at http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b18cswap/swap.html
This pictorial skips a couple of important things (like the rear engine mount), but it is helpful.

Its a good idea to have a manual for the car you are swapping into, and the car that the engine came out of. Haynes is okay, everybody here recommends the Helms (although WTF is up with that not having an index?).

Good Luck

Steve
Old 02-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: B18c1 into a 92 civic VX (LXguy)

Okay, I've got a 1998 (OBDII) ITR swap in my 1992 Civic. The engine harness PLUGS in, so there is NO need to rewire ANYTHING like the distributor or use diff. injectors like some may say.

Simply buy an OBDI 1994-1995 P72 GS-R ECU and plug it in. That will cure any OBD Q's you might have.

Finally, you will need to wire up the secondary butterfly switch and then the knock sensor.

Check the Hybrid Honda Resourse page for the wiring diagrams and pin locations for those 2 items that need to be wired up.

Later.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B18c1 into a 92 civic VX (B18C5-EH2)

I have a 99 B18C1 in my 92 VX. It was an easy swap to do and the wiring is really easy because the VTEC wiring is already there. What you should do is get a 94-95 OBDI B18C1 ecu to make it simple. You can use your stock VX motor harness and then add the extra sensor wires. You'll need to wire up the Knock Sensor, Secondary Butterfiles and O2 Sensor. I did everything myself and documented the whole swap from start to finish. If you need anything let me know and I'll try to help you out.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:20 PM
New User

Default Re: B18c1 into a 92 civic VX

I would like to thank everybody for the help. I have given the swap some thought and I was wondering if I could just transfer over all of the Gsr wiring into the civic and swap the entire Gsr dash and everything in? Can you guys tell me how this will work? Thanks for all of the help. VTECVillain I would appreciate it if you would give me what info. you have. If I can find a 94-95 ECU I may go that route.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:41 AM

I was wondering if I could just transfer over all of the Gsr wiring into the civic and swap the entire Gsr dash and everything in?
I think it will work and look much cleaner, but with all the works involve!! it's not worth it......getting an ODB I GSR ecu and add a couple of wires is the way to go man.

good luck
Old 02-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking of the dash swap myself but after seeing what is involved and all, it's really not worth it. I am going to do a gauge cluster swap and use the GS-R cluster only. Making the dash fit the car is hard and the doors won't close against the stock door panels. The GS-R door panels won't fit so you have to chop up the stock ones to allow the doors to close
The wiring on the other hand isn't as bad as a lot of people think there are only a few changes to get everything in the dash working properly. There was a post on here a while back that explains it all in fairly good detail. I found it in a search the other day so it's still here somewhere.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

those guys r pretty much right on. the exception being that the injector harness will not fit the OBD2 cars. they have different (injector) plugs. heres what i did in the past on OBD2 (motors)- OBD1 (cars). buy a 96-98 GSR engine harness, it will plug directly into ur civic harness and the motor itself. u will also need a OBD1 ECU. there is 1 wire on the civic harness that u will need to move. its on 1 of the 3 plugs on the passenger side. problem is i dont remember which one. it just needs to b relocated to another spot. same plug if i remember correctly though.