Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b18c type r build

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c type r build

Ok i have my moter i bought from hmotors for $4785 shipped it came with a lsd s80 tranny and a ecu and axels its a complete swap kit with motor mounts and harnesses i wanna do some engine work before my uncle helps me drop it in my goal is 250whp all motor the reason im doing this is my mother and father both are ford fans and they do track time as a family my mother mustang in a new 2015 gt her time last weekend was 13.73 1/4 dads has a 2009 larant 6.3 turbo his time is 14.27 1/4 mine is 17.84 1/4 .... i know mine sucks. Im trying to be able to beat my family and keep them from always ragging on hondas. Can someone help with this build maybe a few pointers i have $3000 left in cash for this build that i have saved up and idk were to start there is so much i can do but i want the most out of my DD. Im not asking to be spoon fed im just confused about internals of the engine. I know how to change timeing belts alternator and alot of other stuff but i know nothing about pistons and heads so yeah. Im 25 years old btw not a kid trying to race every dick and jane and this is gonna be my DD. Sorry if i sound stupid or like a idiot i have read on other builds but i have yet to find one that produces great hp/trk out of a b18c type R. I know stock its 190hp. So i only need 60 more to go.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c type r build

250 Hp all motor is gonna be rough without a massive budget. That motor is a great start and I'm sure someone on here can tell you better than me but you can get to the 13 second mark with that motor and a good intake, exhaust, tires, and a tune. Hp is great but don't forget about putting it to the ground. Tires and suspension are just as important. I would focus on getting it around the 200 Hp level to the wheels. But thats just me!?!? Honestly man a 200 hp N/A engine is a blast to drive.... and a 250 Hp N/A motor wouldn't be nice for a daily driver.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'mgoing to take your advice on that lol i just want to beat the rents and i honestly dont know what 200hp would be like in a honda i have had d15z1 and a b16 thats it. I kept hearing about the b18c and so i saved up my money and called up H motors and negotiated on my B 18 C they actually came down on the price which really did surprise me originally wanted $4,999 which I thought was ridiculous I could get a kseries for that price lol but they went down and i have it in my garage now i dont wanna crack it open intil im ready to put the new parts in.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also if you just bought a used motor what would you do to make it more reliable so you know its not gonna crap out on you? Im just gonna buy a nice set of headers,intake,a ecu, and a fuel upgrade kit. For now thats $3000 but i wanna make this reliable
Old 03-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most guys recommend doing a proper tune up before you put the motor in. Water pump and belt while its easy to get at..... plugs and wires.... any seals that you want to do while the getting is easy. How many miles are on the motor? Its probably at least 15 years old so just give her a good run through before you do the install. Good luck with your install though! I am caught in a dilemma with my EM1... I have the original motor and trans but dont know whether to keep it original and boost or go with a B18C and keep it N/A?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was in the same dilemma a few months ago I was wanting to boost but then my friends b16 shot a piston then that's when I decided to do a b18c all motor i dont want the engine craping out on me and im gonna do a full rebuild and gaskets and mayby a 4.7 final drive for my tranny and stage 3 clutch with lighter flywheel while im down there i know i could get a b16 and boost it like my friend did but i dont want the problems down the line i wonder if his turbo setup can fit a b18c?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Idk the miles i bought it from hmotors online
Old 03-23-2015, 01:39 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, from a reliability standpoint, at a MINIMUM, you'll want to replace:

- Timing belt
- Water pump
- Tensioner pulley
- Front crank seal
- Spark plugs
- Distributor cap and rotor

For performance, you basically got the wrong motor to "build". If you wanted to "build" a motor, you might as well have started with a GSR motor, because you paid for all Type R everything, cams, pistons, rods, crank, etc. If you are planning on replacing that stuff then you should sell the Type R motor to someone else and buy a GSR to rebuild.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what your saying this motor is already built? So then i really dont have to do much to it then? What about boost? just change the fuel injectors, intake and I should be set for 10 pounds of boost? or would you recommend me boring out the block to a 2.0 sleaving it? then putting boost on it?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:36 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990delsol
So what your saying this motor is already built? So then i really dont have to do much to it then? What about boost? just change the fuel injectors, intake and I should be set for 10 pounds of boost? or would you recommend me boring out the block to a 2.0 sleaving it? then putting boost on it?
You have a LOT of reading and research to do, man. What I'm saying is basically, you paid extra money for Type R stuff, so you'd really be losing money by changing it all out. And "10 lbs" of boost is just a term that people who don't know anything about turbos throw around, and I'm not saying that to down you, lots of people say it. But 10 PSI from a small turbo is a HUUGE difference from 10 PSI from a larger turbo. Secondly, the Type R motor is really not a good candidate for turbo since it's already at a higher than normal compression ratio.

What you want to do is look at your budget and set an ATTAINABLE HP goal. You have $3000. What you need to do now is google the ever-living **** out of building a solid naturally aspirated B18. You are starting with a good motor for minor bolt-ons, a good DYNO PROVEN header, intake manifold, throttle body, velocity stack, and exhaust are really all you need, but unless you completely rebuild the motor with aftermarket parts (thus completely negating all the money you already spent on the Type R engine) you're going to be lucky to break 200 WHEEL horsepower.

If you want to boost it, then sell that B18C5 with the quickness and buy a B18B (Integra LS) motor, throw some ARP head studs and rod bolts on it, get a LEGIT turbo kit from somewhere like go-autoworks.com and you should be good for 250-300hp reliably.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats fine im just gonna put the b18c in my 1995 civic and buy a b18b and go from there lol thank you fuys for the advice i got alot of research to do i guess god this engine sh8 is alot of work lol thats fine im gonna try and try again i wish there was a good engine shop in georgia that knows hondas
Old 03-25-2015, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey i have 1 question what about a b18c1 is that a good turbo motor? My friend wants to trade his for mine and he is gonna give me his motor plus $2000 cash ot has a blown head though but has alot of aftermarket parts and its ported and sleeved with crowers stroker kit its really a 2.0 l any advice?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Google is your friend buddy, you can also look up on this forum in the tech section. First off the hp difference between c1 at cR1 is not much (cR1 has more torque). The only real difference is its a jap engine and probably has low miles, second with the cR1 you need to either buy swap axles to 32mm or change out your front brakes to 36mm off an itr. The cool part about changing to 36mm is the five lug and you can get the rear 5 lug disc. You didn't get a full swap because of that reason, BUT they are that expensive, main reason is that the engines come with low miles because by law they have to swap them out after 30 or 40k miles. As for the blown engine trade, depending how bad it is, your going to end up loosing out. You don't need much to hit the 200 hp already. AND as far as trying to beat mommy and daddy, the mustang probably weights 3000 pounds, del sols are half that weight (do the math). And no matter what, long runs they will smoke you, unless you are running TRACK not 1/4 miles.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey ibhate to sound like a ***** but your wrong about the jap motor thing. Motor seller want you to think that the jap motors are changed every 30k-40k that myth is a huge lie markets want you to bleave look it up our cali smog is harder to pass than japs smog test. Also the complete swap i bought came with axels and ecu and everything i already have it done in my delsol and no check engine light or anything and btw i sold that car for 6k and bought a 350z sorry i do love honda but for the money it cost to beat a stang u could have just bought 1 and looked way better lol and yes im happy with my 350z. Maybe when honda finaly releases there turbos next year i might buy 1 but for now honda is dead to me. Lock thread!
Old 07-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

P.s. del sols are 2187lbs full tank stangs are 3392lbs the chance a del sol will beat a stang w.o. going turbo is slim. But my 350z can. Also add a vortec charger and im beating vetts. And w.e. else is on the streets also rwd rocks.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I never said anything about them changing it because of smog, my buddy said that cost of maintaining vehicles past a certain year is ridiculous (he lived in Okinawa for ever). As far as weight differences, its good you used google, but that's still 1000 lbs less. And congrats on your vett killer, please let us know how that goes.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah maintaince in japan is $$$$ but most people in japan work on there own cars and thanks its going great. But i just wanted you to know that the myth of low milage engines is b.s. plus ask your friend they may have low milage on them cars but they dog the hell out of them the one i bough had a bent rod and spun bearing it was hell but it only had 65,000 on na so yeah i miss honda and there light bodys but i wish they would make a rwd that has more engine room its hard to work in there engine bays plus i would love to do a ls1 swap in a s2000 but not anough room in engine bay for the drop. Btw i know me and my freind have tryed it. 8" more and all us honda owners could have 470hp 400tq v8 raw na power
Old 07-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Then buy your self an rx7, ls1 fits like a glove. I wanted him to hook me up with type r integra (apparently they don't get the perks of transporting it over here, that's a myth), I know he had an r32 that he bought for 5 grand. Sold it for those reasons. I guess they don't register it after a while and they are doomed if caught by the po po.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah right hand drive is hard to insure in usa a rx7 cost alot in georgia i couldnt fond 1 for under 14k so i bought a 350z and i might do the ls swap in that i had a teg type r along time ago it was yellow i wrecked it like a dumbass . All then new hondas dont get me excited like the old ones do idk if im the only one that feels that way but it seems lile all these new cars are starting to all look the same. Lol i almost bought a miata yesterday wife smacked me lol hey he wanted 2k for a 85kmile miata lol but yeah and if i buy a skyline im going for a r35 and a alpha 9 upgrade lol yeah iv seen a alpha 9 r35 that thing was a beast
Old 07-25-2015, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there you go 5.0 in the Miata, big time sleeper.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lmfao yeah didnt think of that. but a ls1 is 5.7 lol no replacement for displacement