Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18C Reasurrance!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C Reasurrance!

Hey fellow H-T members.
I've been a little idle on the site lately (exams/school). I needed some reassurance that I've got my info right. I'm doing an engine swap, now i know what your thinking...but go with me on this one.

I chose the B18c1, aka. GSR
B18c1

Here's what i need some back up on.

I chose it over the B16, solely on displacement, i intend to turbo the car at a later date. The typre-R was just too expensive and it seems that the advantages it has over the GSR are things that i would replace anyway (ex. stronger components such as rods, higher compression).

I'm not particularly concerned about whether the swap will fit and what i'll have to do to get it in, I know it works with few bumps. Its just the engine cost 3200+300(LSD)+500(install). And i'm a poor college kid. I'd hate to get of on the wrong foot.

If anyone has any positive feed back, pro's con's I might hit further down the road , i'm all up for it. Remember, my end result is a tubo'd hatch/crx runing mid 12's with radials/slicks
Old 12-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C Reasurrance! (issues4)

your logic is good, but you're flawed when you mentioned higher compression. you want lower compression when you're dealing with turbo. high compression and turbo doesnt mix, thats why most people with ITR motors go N/A instead of turbo. also gsr is way better turboed than a b16 turbo.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C Reasurrance! (pennies_hatchie)

Oh, thanks.

I'll assume it because turbo's relye on exhaust fumes, and even though your getting a better bang in the cylinder, your not releasing enough fumes to fuel the turbo.

Let me ask, do you have any reccomendations to whether you should resleeve, replace rods/pistons/valves/cams before or after you would install a turbo? It seems to me either or would work fine, depending on your budget. Obviously if turbo first you'd just have to run lower boost.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually the reason why turbo and high compression is a bad combo is that high compression already puts stress on the engine. Turbo relies on putting more air in each stroke of the engine, so this would increase the pressure in the cylinders even more. This leads to complications such as detonation, and stuff could break if boost is too high.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by issues4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If anyone has any positive feed back, pro's con's I might hit further down the road , i'm all up for it. Remember, my end result is a tubo'd hatch/crx runing mid 12's with radials/slicks </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can easily achieve this goal. There are many daily driven GSR turbo's hatches hitting mid to low 12's. I've both experienced and seen quite a few internally stock GSR motors, running a conservative 7-10 psi turning those numbers. You've set a fairly easy reachable goal.
The only true problem you would have later down the road is the craving for more boost. It's inevitable, just remember everything has it's limits. You can always build for boost though.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:19 AM

You can hit those 12's easily in your cr-x with a completely stock block b18c1 turbo. Talk to my friend DOHCarp on here about his full interior, big stereo, daily driven, low 12 second running 88 cr-x. He and his twin brother run 100% stock honda blocks (well his brother rocks totally stock lsvtec turbo EG hatch at 11.9!) and drive them everyday with no problems. It's pretty scary what even honda stock engines with turbos can do.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C Reasurrance! (hondahans)

Thats some crazy stuff. Is that with radials? or slicks? couldn't be on reg. street tires...?

Up until i started searching around I didn't think there were that many 12's and below civics out there. Apparently everyone and their grandmother has one (that excludes me).
Old 12-11-2003, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B18C Reasurrance! (SilverCIVIC96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilverCIVIC96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually the reason why turbo and high compression is a bad combo is that high compression already puts stress on the engine. Turbo relies on putting more air in each stroke of the engine, so this would increase the pressure in the cylinders even more. This leads to complications such as detonation, and stuff could break if boost is too high. </TD></TR></TABLE>

BREAK IS RIGHT. I formed a whole in my wastegate line on my b16 turbo and fried her pretty bad. Ill have to post some pics sometime of the pistons. It just goes to show that turbo cars that arent originally turbo are MESSY.