Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18C Into 99 EK Civic - Some answers if you could ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C Into 99 EK Civic - Some answers if you could ?

Hey folks,

It's possible I could be getting hold of a wrecked ITR (rear end damage, off side damage) from which I can poach an engine and all the necessary bits to drop this into my B16 Civic.

Just a few quick questions, I have had a search but to be honest non of the posts really cover what I'm looking for.

1) Does the engine bolt in to the existing engine mounts ? I have heard it will however I'd really like clarification on this.

2) The ITR is a '99 model, so what sort of wiring will need to be done in terms of OBD ? I understand the ECU will need to go but how much wiring should be involved ?

3) Will I be able to retain air con with the new engine ? Also, what radiators are recommended for this sort of swap ?

4) Would it be possible to turbo the engine at a later date ? If I was to use a kit, would I be able to use one designed for the ITR or would I be better building my own ?

Im sorry for so many questions, maybe this can be added to one of the FAQ's or something, any help would be great, my torque crippled B16 is starting to drive me potty in stop start traffic, and this seems like an ideal opportunity !

Cheers,

- Prob
Old 08-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C Into 99 EK Civic - Some answers if you could ? (Problemo)

Come on folks, I've just spent the last half hour searching and can't find anything else. Someone must know something.

- Prob
Old 08-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Problemo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1) Does the engine bolt in to the existing engine mounts ? I have heard it will however I'd really like clarification on this.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
i believe its a combination of si and gsr mounts. not sure.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Problemo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2) The ITR is a '99 model, so what sort of wiring will need to be done in terms of OBD ? I understand the ECU will need to go but how much wiring should be involved ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
not much extra wiring.. fairly easy.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Problemo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3) Will I be able to retain air con with the new engine ? Also, what radiators are recommended for this sort of swap ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes u can keep the a/c. ur stock radiator will work fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Problemo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4) Would it be possible to turbo the engine at a later date ? If I was to use a kit, would I be able to use one designed for the ITR or would I be better building my own ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes its possible to turbo it later. y wouldnt it be?
if u used a kit.. u have to keep in mind.. kits are made for specific engines in specific cars. u can buy one, but u might need some custom work. however, u want to swap a B series engine int a car that already has a B series engine.. soo it may work. with/ lil or no modification.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B18C Into 99 EK Civic - Some answers if you could ? (hondaZvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe its a combination of si and gsr mounts. not sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll need an SI rear tranny and upper engine mount (the one that the timing belt goes around)

You'll also need a 94+ Integra front tranny mount and front engine mount.....unless you want to keep your AC, then you need the Del Sol front engine mount (if I'm not mistaken)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not much extra wiring.. fairly easy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depending on what trim your car is, you'll need to add the two wires for Vtec (unless you have an EX) and the wire for the knock sensor.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C Into 99 EK Civic - Some answers if you could ? (deSigi)

Excellant, well I already have a 99 Si so I can steal the bits off of that. Also since I have already got vtec I assume I wouldnt have to run any additional wires ?

Interesting, this swap looks more and more promising

Any other additional information ? problems ? things to look out for ? General sort of stuff to do with this swap ?

Thanks for your responses folks, very interesting reading !.

- Prob
Old 08-05-2004, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The following links should give you all the information you need:

http://www.phear7imports.net/trey/6gen/

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=558245
Old 08-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C Into 99 EK Civic - Some answers if you could ? (96BlackHB)

Genius !

Thank you so much for the link, this is exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for ! At least I now know of some of the potential problems. Luckily like I say i have the 99 Si so a lot of work should already be done for me.

Thanks once more for your posts.

Any more for any more, you know where I am, hopefully I shall have a write up of my own coming soon !

- Prob
Old 08-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem, I'm here to help.

I am confused. You have a 99 Si w/ a B16 and are getting a 99 ITR? Are these both Canadian cars (no 99 ITR is USA, and I believe Canadian Civic Si=USA Civic EX(both D series), and Canadian Civic SiR=USA Civic Si(both B series))?

As far as your specific questions in your first post:

1. You will use all of your current mounts (If you currently have a B series in your car). I don't think any others will be necessary.

2. All the wiring info can be found in the EK wiring thread from above:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=558245

I don't know if the ecu will work for 2 reasons:
a. It may have an immoblizer which has extra wiring and needs a coded key. Not sure if you can use an ecu like this without all the immoblizer stuff.
b. The ecu plugs may not match, don't know if a 99 itr(none in USA) is OBD2a or OBD2b. I would guess it would plug in (both OBD2b).

3. If you have B series now, just reuse your AC(mount & condensor) and radiator, no need to change. If you have D series, see http://www.phear7imports.net/trey/6gen/ for AC and get a dual core radiator (Civic Si/SiR, Del Sol VTEC, or 96-00 EK with auto tranny)

4. Turbo is possible, make sure it is TUNED properly and not seeing a lot of boost on a stock bottom end. If you need a kit, get one for Civic Si/SiR. I hear putting together your own kit is cheaper, but more work (cutting, mounting, etc.).

Feel free to IM or post a topic if you need any help. Godspeed.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C Into 99 EK Civic - Some answers if you could ? (96BlackHB)

Not as confused as me, I come from the UK where Your 99 Civic Si is actually our Civic VTi. The ITR is still the ITR no matter where you come from.

I am yet to establish as to what OBD I have, I really do need to find out. I also have an imobiliser on the key so I will need to have the new ECU reprogrammed by honda to use my exsisting key (not difficult, but maybe expensive !) so I get to keep a Category 2 immobiliser at least.

My guess was the same as yours, both cars *should* be OBD2b (I hope) if not I can always convert it.

Thanks for answering some of those questions, my main queries were the mounts but like you say I should be able to use my existing ones (I will probably end up getting stiffer ones if possible) and of course the wiring problems. I know a guy who can get round the imobiliser anyhow so I may have it removed while Im testing my setup.

As for the turbo, tuning is not a problem, getting insured on it is Thanks for the tips man, I shall prolly hook you up at some point when I begin the swap. Have you done this swap yourself ? Sounds like one of the easier ones but then thats coz a majority of the hard stuff is in place.

Thanks once more,

- Prob