Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18C Clarification, I Did Research, Just Need Clarification.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 B18C Clarification, I Did Research, Just Need Clarification.

A friend was moving and he gave me a deal on his car, and I couldn’t pass it up. I primarily bought the car for the motor. I will be installing this into a OBD1 1990 Integra DA. I am new to the ITR game and so I came here to get some kind of clarification on some of the information I have researched. Please let me know if the information that I have is wrong, and if any other parts can be used.

Block is stamped B18C, Head is stamped PR3 = JDM Type R Motor

Engine came with USDM B16 cable transmission, P28 Mugen chipped ECU

1. With the information provided, can I assume that my motor is a JDM Type R Motor? Many people say to check tranny, but obviously I do not have the right tranny. Others have said that if the block is stamped B18C and head is stamped PR3 I have JDM ITR.

2. Oil pan is in bad shape, and timing belt/water pump ect need to be done. I have read that any USDM GSR/ITR oil pan, timing belt/water pump and other parts are interchangeable? If not, what parts are not interchangeable?

3. I have gotten mixed reviews on what the correct ECU I should be using. I will be keeping it NA. Many have said that the P28 Mugen Chipped should work fine. Others say that I should be running the JDM ITR ecu so that I won’t get CEL because JDM ITR motors have less sensors that UDSM ITR motors do. When they say to use the JDM ITR ecu, no one offers the ecu number like (p28/p72 ect). If I do my the JDM ITR ecu, is this the right number I’m looking for (P73-003)

is P73-003 the best ECU that I should be running with this set up that does not require tuning?

My other question is if I do decide to tune this car, will the P28 be an ideal ECU to use? Since the JDM ITR ECU is OBD2 I would assume that it is not ideal for tuning. I read that the P28 although a single cam ECU, it is great for all tuning applications?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C Clarification, I Did Research, Just Need Clarification.

Ok so yes most gsr parts are interchangeable with the itr. Yes your p28 will be fine. But you need to do a compression test first, and check a few things to make sure it's not just a JDM gsr with a b16 head. It should be around 11.0:1 compression. Check to see if it has a p73 intake mani and not a p30 or pr3. From there if your working with an itr then run your obd1 p28 and all obd1 vtec parts and you should be fine. Good luck on your build..
Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by R-geek-c5
Ok so yes most gsr parts are interchangeable with the itr. Yes your p28 will be fine. But you need to do a compression test first, and check a few things to make sure it's not just a JDM gsr with a b16 head. It should be around 11.0:1 compression. Check to see if it has a p73 intake mani and not a p30 or pr3. From there if your working with an itr then run your obd1 p28 and all obd1 vtec parts and you should be fine. Good luck on your build..
A compression test doesn't really tell you if it has 11:1 compression. You can kind of infer that information via the numbers you get.....but different compression testers do produce different results. It's primarily used for consistency measurement.

OP...why does your friend not know what motor he has? If he's telling you it is a JDM ITR motor, is there a reason you don't believe him? A B18C block and PR3-3 head is a good indication that it is a ITR motor. But it could very well be a SIR-G (GSR) swap with an ITR head. Hard to know without opening it up and looking for the correct internals.

You may be fine with the current ECU. You might be fine with the JDM ITR ECU on your OBD0 chassis....but you might have a CEL for a few missing sensors on the chassis. Your best bet is to get an OBD 1 ECU with an ITR base map.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also look for the green stamp on the head, the ink on the valve train and the markings on the cams.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i doubt somebody would put a gsr manifold on an itr head, but if the head says pr3 and you have a jdm b18c block than im only left to assume its an ITR
Old 08-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A GSR manifold won't bolt up to an ITR head. So yes....nobody would do that.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by R-geek-c5
Thank you for the info, I will check the IM today. Did a compression test yesterday to see if the motor was good. 240 across the board!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
A compression test doesn't really tell you if it has 11:1 compression. You can kind of infer that information via the numbers you get.....but different compression testers do produce different results. It's primarily used for consistency measurement.

OP...why does your friend not know what motor he has? If he's telling you it is a JDM ITR motor, is there a reason you don't believe him? A B18C block and PR3-3 head is a good indication that it is a ITR motor. But it could very well be a SIR-G (GSR) swap with an ITR head. Hard to know without opening it up and looking for the correct internals.

You may be fine with the current ECU. You might be fine with the JDM ITR ECU on your OBD0 chassis....but you might have a CEL for a few missing sensors on the chassis. Your best bet is to get an OBD 1 ECU with an ITR base map.

The reason why I don't believe my friend is for one, he bought the motor before I met him. Second, he is a "buyer" not a "builder." It's not that I think he is lying, he just doesn't know anything about his build. Bought his motor from eBay, has no paperwork, and a shop that closed down years ago did all the work.

I on the other hand is a builder, that is why I am trying to do as much research as I can so that my swap goes as smooth as possible.

Thank you for all the helpful info
Old 08-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since the p28 is not a virgin, and contains a Mugen chip that supposedly does nothing, how do I go about either removing the chip or putting an ITR basemap on it like stated above?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DA808CHOPSHOP
Since the p28 is not a virgin, and contains a Mugen chip that supposedly does nothing, how do I go about either removing the chip or putting an ITR basemap on it like stated above?

Thanks
Here you go. Make sure you give him a complete list of what you have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B16-B18-B18C...-/180692956956
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If swapping out chip is not your thing. send him your ecu and let him do the work for you.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CW-ITR
If swapping out chip is not your thing. send him your ecu and let him do the work for you.
Thank you very much for the link, this will be very helpful to many people!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious

Yes sir, your right about the compression testers all being different, but it won't be hard to determine if it's an itr opposed to a gsr with a pr3 head with any tester because the gsr pr3 combo will yeald such low numbers. Added up it would be close to 9.8:1.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DA808CHOPSHOP
Thank you for the info, I will check the IM today. Did a compression test yesterday to see if the motor was good. 240 across the board!
Glad to help. And from those numbers it sounds safe to say your most likely working with an itr. As long as everything else checks out. Or it could be the other setup with a little internal work. Ether way sounds like a healthy engine, so have fun with it.