Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18b1 Assembly/Project Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18b1 Eg swap advice ?

Hey what's up guys, first off I want to say, I'm kinda new to Hondas, I'm 20 years old and I've had my eg for about 2 years now. Had some single cam work done but nothing too fancy. I've done all my own work on my eg besides a clutch swap. the mechanics of a car are very interesting to me. Try to do as much as I can by myself to learn. Beside the fact of that; I picked myself up a running ls swap plug and play the other day (drove it before I bought it seemed pretty healthy). I am planning to go lsv/turbo. A friend of my family is mechanically inclined with his own shop. We will be dropping the motor into the car ourselves. He's a mustang guy and built that thing from Just the shell so I'm sure he knows what he is doing to a little 4 cyl. Never have experienced doing a motor swap so this will be a fun experience for me. I just have a few questions that hopefully this community can fulfill for reference toward myself;

0) any SPECIFIC way that the swap should be installed into the car? Or any way & how you can just get it in the bay?
1) which gasket should I use for the head when I put a b16 on the ls.
2) what are the correct steps to take to achieve a non problematic lsv/turbo swap the correct way. (Read 50/50 reviews on it)
3)What does obd mean?
4) how do I know what obd my engine/harness is. (i know everything's plug & play but tryijg to expand my knowledge)
5) is my computer for obd I or II (p75)
6)can I run 2 1/2' exhaust with a b18(stock)
7)difference between ls & gsr tranny

Last edited by Kg96; 04-24-2016 at 06:05 PM. Reason: mistake.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: B18b1 Assembly/Project Advice

Here's a few areas to SERIOUSLY research. Don't take them lightly, and don't expect it to spoon feed you step-by-step as though it's a YouTube video. These links are true school methodologies on how to do this properly, and have been done so, since you were about 4 years old. So, take them seriously, and don't over-question their methodology.

You're not going to get much help here in a friendly manner,so don't expect a lot of guidance. Try not to take it personally, as your questions 1-7 have been answered many times in ways that perhaps the FAQs showed, but you didn't realize it.

0-2) See "how to build reliable LS/VTEC link

3)OBD - On Board Diagnostics ---> this is level of code and emissions that the engine you have (based upon your year harness and engine) can use to run the car. The year is the key guideline.

The year chassis and engine determine the OBD level for B-series

88-91 OBD0
92-95 OBD1
96-98.5 OBD2A
98.5-2001 OBD2B

2001+ OBD# (not relevant as the B-series ended production in 2001)

4) Head to the FF-TECH SQUAD link

FF-Tech Squad.NET --> goes through all of this

How to build a reliable LSVTEC --> THis works even for just building a damn good LS

5) Depends upon year of chassis that the engine came from.

6) Run whatever you want.

7)
Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B18b1 Assembly/Project Advice

sorry for late response but Thank you very much for the links!! was looking around on so many places and didnt want to use something that someone doesn't know what they're talking about. This reassures me that I'm not gonna be taking any unnecessary short cuts that don't lead to problems in the future etc. so I will be reading those later after I get off. However I also appreciate the info a lot. I didn't even think to look at the faqs. New to forums sorry. Definitely will check out the faqs. But like I said thanks for everything. It's greatly appreciated.