Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b18b into 90 CRX

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18b into 90 CRX

What would you guys expect to pay to get an LS engine dropped into a g2 CRX? It's for my GF, so she wouldn't want to let me try it myself . Thanks
Old 07-01-2001, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b18b into 90 CRX (Strng1dah)

I don't know about the labor, but it should cost about 800 for the swap motor. ECU, axles, everything. That, and another 4-5 hundred for a mount kit w/ shift linkage.
Old 07-01-2001, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b18b into 90 CRX (Strng1dah)

the complete swap will be about $1800-$2500, depending. if she is going to want the swap quickly and cheap, just do the b18b1(94-95). when you get a package for the 94-95 ls, you will also get the ls tranny, which should be considered...the ls tranny is the one for combo with a turbo(longer gears). this tranny will allow the driver to take full advantage of boost and spool as to where a si or gsr tranny(short gears). the short geared tranny will have you going through the gears too fast and not let the turbo boost to long because it will rev too fast. keep in mind for an all motor setup, you will want the si, gsr or type-r. with these trannys, and a torquier motor like the stock block ls or crv, the car will accelerate much faster than the ls. if she wants a good base to build with, try and get the crv longblock but with the ls intake manifold. the exhaust manifold won't really matter for the stock compression (stock ls manifold will work just as good as a $350 header, put that money into something more beneficial to the drivers wants/needs. in addition to the changeover, you will need a b-series motor mount kit. new will be about $500, or you can search the web(try e-bay) and you may get lucky for whatever you are looking for. if you aren't mechanical in any way, look to spend about $1000 for laboring the swap. that is the insane going rate. i would never give anybody any money to touch my cars brains, heart, and guts. research, research, and research...i have never got down and dirty with my car, but after i did a lot of reading, i basically took my whole car(93 hatch) apart when i did my swap and put it back together with a b18b1 drivetrain. i learned a lot and it was easy and i saved $1000. guess what i bought with the labor money...a complete, basically new, greddy gsr "11 intercooled turbo kit for a tiny bit over a grand! and if you know how to "unbolt things and bolt them back together, you can also put a turbo on. i guess since this is not your car but your girlfriends, she won't trust you to mess with it and possibly fudge it up(doubt it). find a friend or someone willing to help you and your girlfriend out who has done a swap before. you would be surprised at how many ppeople do their own swaps, because it is soooo rewarding and people will dig that you do your own work. check the hybrid site for some info for swaps. in anycase, have fun with it!
Old 07-02-2001, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b18b into 90 CRX (loturbohybrideg)

oh I could definitely do it, but it doesnt matter any way. SHe decided to just let us rebuild the d series in there right now. So it wont get a Bseries until I get it in a few years.