Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18B into a 1999 EX Coupe - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18B into a 1999 EX Coupe - Questions

After thinking about turbo'ing the D'series, I felt that I need a DOHC engine. Since I would like to boost my car in the future, I decided that the B18B would be right for me: Ideal compression and good price. I can get a 94 B18B out of my local junkyard for $600. This includes just the motor, tranny, ECU, and axles. The motor is missing a dizzy and injectors. I do not know the motor milage and condition(just heard from a friend that the motor was available).

My question is should I get this engine from the yard and re-build it with the extra money I would have saved from buying a complete swap from hmotorsonline, or should I just get the complete swap from hmotorsonline? A complete swap from hmotorsonline is around $2200(no shipping and handling included). Like I said above, in the future I would like to boost, so I would think it would be a bit better to get the 94' OBD1 engine for use with Hondata. Or would it be better to get the OBD2b engine from hmotorsonline and have everything be basically plug and play and then convert to OBD1 when i start boosting. I am very torn here because I would want a newer motor with less wear on it, but if I get the older engine, I will just be re-builting it to be as good as new. Also, another factor is that I can drop the new motor in right away if I decide to get it.

Sorry for the long post, but please share your opinions on my situation, Thanks.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B18B into a 1999 EX Coupe - Questions (Threads)

I would get the older cheaper motor, for sure.
Just build it and convert the car to obd1(as long as you dont need to worry about emissions).

To put the swap into your civic, you'll need to mix and match mounts, so there's no point in buying the complete swap, cause you'll still need to get some of the mounts from the '99-'00 SI.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Re: B18B into a 1999 EX Coupe - Questions (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get the older cheaper motor, for sure.
Just build it and convert the car to obd1(as long as you dont need to worry about emissions).

To put the swap into your civic, you'll need to mix and match mounts, so there's no point in buying the complete swap, cause you'll still need to get some of the mounts from the '99-'00 SI.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I do get the older engine I will need the following things:

- Shift Linkage (may be able to get off the car from the yard)
- Injectors (aftermaket)
- Distributor (aftermarket)
- Throttle Body
- 94-95 Del Sol A/C Bracket
- 99-00 Civic Si Rear Tranny Bracket
- 99-00 Civic Si Upper Driver Side Mounting Bracket
- 99-00 Civic Si Lower Tranny Mount
- OBD2b - OBD1 Conversion Harness
- Maybe a better OBD1 ECU then the LS ECU

Also, can you please explain on "converting the car to OBD1". What does it entail to convert the whole car to OBD1?

-and-

Is my list correct in reguards to the mounts I will need for my 99 Civic EX Coupe? Am I missing any or have one that is not needed?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:29 PM

Can anyone confirm my mount list?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B18B into a 1999 EX Coupe - Questions (Threads)

For mounts you need:
-Upper tranny mount-reuse your stock civic piece.
-rear tranny bracket (piece between the rear rubber mount and the tranny)-from a '99-'00 SI
-Upper driver side mounting bracket(goes between the mount bolted to the block and the fluid filled mount on the chassis)-from a '99-'00 SI.
-lower tranny mount and ac mount- from any '94-up B series.

If you look around, you can get the shift linkage, injectors, ecu jumper harness, and throttle body for fairly cheap.

Stock ls ecu is fine. After you turbo it, you can have the stock ecu chipped with hondata or something.

By converting to obd1, I mean modifying your stock harness to fit the obd1 motor, and then using the jumper harness to plug in the obd1 ecu.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:14 AM

Thanks for all the help Slopoke. This will be my first swap and I am very excited about it. I feel everything will go well since I know everything that I need.

Any more opinions?

Also, Why is it illegal if you put an older engine in a newer car? I know part of it is emissions and polluntants, but what else? Thanks.