Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b18 vs h22?

Old 12-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18 vs h22?

AT some point when I finally do a swap, I think one of these guys might be the ticket.

I want something that has power with just motor, something that I can build as I go...

thoughts?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 vs h22? (95civhb)

ok, this has been disgussed a million and one times. If your just dropping the motor in and leaving it be go with the H. IMO the B is a better desighned and built engine that can be more reliable and bolt on modifications like IM/ intake/header or turbo will require less modification when installed into a civic.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b18 vs h22? (dohcdelsol93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> IMO the B is a better desighned and built engine that can be more reliable and bolt on modifications like IM/ intake/header or turbo will require less modification when installed into a civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

j000 crazy. Look at h-series, only thing is that it is easier to install.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> IMO the B is a better desighned and built engine that can be more reliable and bolt on modifications like IM/ intake/header or turbo will require less modification when installed into a civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh jeez
Old 12-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b18 vs h22? (skunked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh jeez </TD></TR></TABLE>
no ****....

how many times do we have to say this????

d&gt;H
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, this has been disgussed a million and one times. If your just dropping the motor in and leaving it be go with the H. IMO the B is a better desighned and built engine that can be more reliable and bolt on modifications like IM/ intake/header or turbo will require less modification when installed into a civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

One question. What type of bolt on modifications require a motor to be built? I really hope that you're kidding. It's bad advice like this that makes people on H-T sound like idiots. If you want to sound funny or through the guy for a loop tell him to do an H bottom end with a K head and a D tranny. Now that's the swap of the century.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 vs h22? (Specail Ed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Specail Ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

One question. What type of bolt on modifications require a motor to be built? I really hope that you're kidding. It's bad advice like this that makes people on H-T sound like idiots. If you want to sound funny or through the guy for a loop tell him to do an H bottom end with a K head and a D tranny. Now that's the swap of the century.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I was stating that honda did a better job building and desighning the B series than the H series. If left stock and the both engines are run and taken care of exactly the same the b series will last longer nine times out of ten. I've seen B's & D's with over 200,000 miles running strong and most H's I've seen maybe @ the 100,000 to 150,000 mile mark when they bite it.
When it comes to aftermarket bolt ons like I/H/E the the h series doesn't have the same room nor was it ever desighned to go into a civic engine bay so many times even a simple bolt on will reqire modification. Whether it's to make a header fit tighter so it doesn't hang below the oil pan and connect properly with the exhaust or making a CAI fit through the hole infront of your wheel well.
With the B series you will not face these problems.
further more a "built engine" has nothing to do with bolt-on's. How you got that idea I am at a total loss, i'm guessing it could possibly be from poor public education or eating paint chips as a child. I was refering to the desighn of the engine block and all it's rotating assembly when I said that the B was built better than the H. The B has a much better rod stroke ratio, period and let's not go into hormonic balance.
IMO if your going to mod an engine in a civic, stick with the B, sure the H has more h/p and torque stock but the B is a superior engine when comparing longetivity, more reliable and better selection of transmissions, and easier bolt ons. Again this is only my opnion.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Again this is only my opnion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely and in left field may I add (IMEO).

One quick question for you.....have you ever owned an H hybrid?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:52 AM

Old 12-27-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no after research and working on others I decided to stay away from the H hybrid
Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no after research and working on others I decided to stay away from the H hybrid</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why because you heard that it was like 300lbs heavier or it causes horriable understeer? Everybody here knows what happens when you assume.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no after research and working on others I decided to stay away from the H hybrid</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I figured.

I have owned both and the H is hands downs better. Try and bore your B as big as the H22 is stock
Old 12-27-2005, 08:21 AM

I HAVE owned both and swapped both for many customers and turbo'd both. Both swaps are similar in difficulty, bottom line is to take your time on your swap and do it right. Dont be cheap.

By the way, bolt in your H and go enjoy your 13sec car....
Old 12-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 vs h22? (BigBlock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigBlock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
By the way, bolt in your H and go enjoy your 13sec car....</TD></TR></TABLE>

werd...
Old 12-27-2005, 09:15 AM
WestSPEC

out of the box H is the way to go...
if ur gonna leave it stock go H..
Old 12-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlazedD)

my decision to go B instead of H was not assumed nor was based on the heavier weight. The H weighs maybe 50lbs more, you can loose that with a flywheel and some aftermarket pulleys. My decision was based on the reliablilty of the engine and the avaliabilty of aftermarked mods and the ease of their installation. The choice of transmissions made that decision even easier. I personally do not want 2.2L under the hood of a 2,400 lbs car. If anything I want to reduce the low end torque without sacrificing mid range torque and top end HP in a light weight FWD turbo charged car that is going to be a daily driver and run street tires.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How you got that idea I am at a total loss, i'm guessing it could possibly be from poor public education or eating paint chips as a child. I was refering to the desighn of the engine block and all it's rotating assembly when I said that the B was built better than the H. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My poor public education? You live in SC. Don't you guys rank last in public education? And there's no H in design captain intelligence.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 vs h22? (Specail Ed)

sorry, I have to type my posts quickly at work and don't usually have time to proof read. SC does rank near if not last in public schools but I never said that I went to one. I'm not really known for my intelligence, it's my ability to point out the obvious that usually makes me stand out.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> it's my ability to point out the obvious that usually makes me stand out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll point the obvious as well.
My stock 2.2L put down another 5whp and 25wtq over my built 1.8L

If you want to talk specifics I'm all ears.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so you have a stk H22 that put out better #'s than the B18. That's great. I'm not sure of your set up but with a stock bore, weisco h.comp pistons, mild head work and ctr/itr/whatever h.p. cams and hondata you could make more with the B. Big deal it's all about how much money your willing to throw at it. I could make a 74 pinto out run your built honda and mine if I wanted.
This is about the design of the engine, not the variables of what I can do with the engine to make one put out better #'s than the other.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my decision to go B instead of H was not assumed nor was based on the heavier weight. The H weighs maybe 50lbs more, you can loose that with a flywheel and some aftermarket pulleys. My decision was based on the reliablilty of the engine and the avaliabilty of aftermarked mods and the ease of their installation. The choice of transmissions made that decision even easier. I personally do not want 2.2L under the hood of a 2,400 lbs car. If anything I want to reduce the low end torque without sacrificing mid range torque and top end HP in a light weight FWD turbo charged car that is going to be a daily driver and run street tires.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is all fine and dandy. I just dont see any reliability issues with a h22. I have a H22a1 in my 99 civic that put down 192whp and 163wtq. I drive it every day and love it. Are you trying to say that you dont see 92-96 preludes running around your area cuz there are a ton of them here on my side of the mountains.
If I were you I would probably just drop this topic because for every reason you could possiably have for not putting an H in a car there will be 3 good reason to install it.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so you have a stk H22 that put out better #'s than the B18. That's great. I'm not sure of your set up but with a stock bore, weisco h.comp pistons, mild head work and ctr/itr/whatever h.p. cams and hondata you could make more with the B. Big deal it's all about how much money your willing to throw at it. I could make a 74 pinto out run your built honda and mine if I wanted.
This is about the design of the engine, not the variables of what I can do with the engine to make one put out better #'s than the other.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't even bring up money. I paid $500 for a longblock that made 199/164 with bone stock US internals. H's will always make more than B's just becasue of the better head along with a bigger shortblock.

What's wrong with the design? I really want to hear this.......
Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is about the design of the engine, not the variables of what I can do with the engine to make one put out better #'s than the other.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How is it a better design? You better start coughing up physics.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If left stock and the both engines are run and taken care of exactly the same the b series will last longer nine times out of ten. I've seen B's & D's with over 200,000 miles running strong and most H's I've seen maybe @ the 100,000 to 150,000 mile mark when they bite it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks like you have not been around Hondas a lot. Condering that D-series and B-series out number h-series about 4 times, maybe that could be a factor?

BTW, every b-seires with the same mods as a h-series (vtec models), the h-series have killed the b-series in peak numbers and powerband.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 vs h22? (Turbogixxer)

sometimes im down for these debates... but lately it seems like we are just throwing rocks at a brick wall right in front of us... its pointless....

no offense to the OP, but i think anyone comparing the b18 to the h22 needs to just use the search button (located in the top right corner of the screen)
Old 12-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 vs h22? (Turbogixxer)

i went to school in sc got my learn on fo twenny dollaz!

i've ridden in both B and H swaps.... and i'm going for H just because of the low end... but thats the accord guy in me...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: b18 vs h22?