Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b18 into non-honda, please take a look, I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18 into non-honda, please take a look, I need help!

Right, I am in the uk, and I have decided to abandon my hybid conversion of my (GM) Vauxhall Nova/Opel corsa. looks a bit like this:
HTML: [img]'http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/b/billingturbo.jpg'[/img]

vBulletin:

Hyperlink: http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/r.p...o.jpg

I'd replaced the 1.6l motor for a 2.0l 16 valve turbo(204bhp), also a GM engine.
Now don't get me wrong, it was fast, 14.2 quarter mile @ 105mph and 160 mph top end, but I want to be running 11's and under. That will need 4oowhp and there are some reasons why its not feasable:

price of engine components - rods, pistons
Lack of aftermarket parts - inlet/exhaust manifolds.
Would need a standalone - more$ - high tuning cost
Gearbox options very limted - for strength/ratio's

So this got me thinking and one day my friend with an eg6 civic with itr motor, said why not use a b18c and turbo that, the parts are freely available and work out a lot cheaper even with shipping.

Basically, everyday on h-t I see dyno posts for stock bottom end b18's with over 350 whp and a few with hondata running over 500 whp.
While I will have around $8000 to start with, that will not get me over 350 whp from my engine and all the while it would be a (calculated) guessing game when choosing injectors, turbo's, compression ratio.

I don't like r&d I have a good idea of what is needed to turbo a honda motor, and what works, the proof is on honda-tech.

So my point is, will it work? is it worth doing?

I know I will need axles , mounts, and gearlinkage sorting out but the thing is the potential for tuning is pretty much unlimited if I use a Honda motor.

The car is stripped at the moment and the strut's are removed and the front end was going to be semi tube/spaceframed anyway during the rebuild, I don't think space is a problem as the other engine is bigger than say a b18, It was cable tranny, but the engine sat with the gearbox on the other side of the car to honda's.

Will it be worth it?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:30 AM

Default Re: b18 into non-honda, please take a look, I need help! (Can't afford a Honda)

god damn uploader! can anybody help me out with the pics?
Old 12-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: b18 into non-honda, please take a look, I need help! (Can't afford a Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Can't afford a Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So this got me thinking and one day my friend with an eg6 civic with itr motor, said why not use a b18c and turbo that, the parts are freely available and work out a lot cheaper even with shipping. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The $ that you would have in fabricating the motor/tranny and electronics to fit and work properly would no doubt be more than the $ it would take to build and/or work with what you have.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't like r&d I have a good idea of what is needed to turbo a honda motor, and what works, the proof is on honda-tech.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's because 99.9999% of the cars on here are Honda/Acura's with those setups that either bolt in or have readily available mounts and/or parts that make it work. You're wanting to do something drastic, something that if it has been done is not "common." That's cool but realistically if you don't like R+D, a project like this isn't going to get far.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will it be worth it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

To be possibly the first and only one to have this setup? YES

To put all the time and $ into getting it right? MAYBE

Since you had to ask this question? NO
Old 12-08-2003, 06:15 AM

Default Re: b18 into non-honda, please take a look, I need help! (VTECVillain)

If it makes a difference, and you were wondering what's the point, the car weighs under 2000lbs at the moment and I am making/have made all the panels -doors, fenders, trunk from carbon fibre. I have my own business doing carbon parts and my car will be the demonstrator vehicle, showing how important going light-weight is.

I would rather spend the $ on a honda engine as I know I can get 10's for sure, and I feel like I am kinda guessing with my other engine.

The car is being taken to Hauser racing in the U.K. who make the majority of the top fuel dragsters, so the mounts and all that **** can be taken care of by them.

Anyone know where I can upload the pictures to?