Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b17 swap into 90 Std. Civic, weird sensor on back of block

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b17 swap into 90 Std. Civic, weird sensor on back of block

please check my post in the integra forum to see what i'm talking about, i don't want to spam the same post to multiple forums:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=612169
Old 09-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: b17 swap into 90 Std. Civic, weird sensor on back of block (YumVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YumVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">please check my post in the integra forum to see what i'm talking about, i don't want to spam the same post to multiple forums:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=612169</TD></TR></TABLE>

Already been answered. Its your coolant temp sensor that controls the fan on those engines. Might not be used on your rig, The sensor is not used on my B17 in my 93 hatch.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b17 swap into 90 Std. Civic, weird sensor on back of block (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Already been answered. Its your coolant temp sensor that controls the fan on those engines. Might not be used on your rig, The sensor is not used on my B17 in my 93 hatch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good to know that on your b17 you don't use that sensor. so it just sits there? what ECU and engine harness are you running?
Old 09-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b17 swap into 90 Std. Civic, weird sensor on back of block (YumVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YumVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

good to know that on your b17 you don't use that sensor. so it just sits there? what ECU and engine harness are you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

On the EG you don't need it. The fan is controlled by the sensor on the head. The old sensor just sits in the back of the block. I am using a 93 Si SOHC harness that I modded to work with the DOHC. I have two ecus. One P61 that I use for smog, and the other is a Mugen chipped P28.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b17 swap into 90 Std. Civic, weird sensor on back of block (Hybrid93Eg)

so you don't throw any codes with the P61 without that sensor hooked up?

here are some pics of what i'm talking about:

This is what i'm talking about. The first picture is of the knock sensor (one wire). The second and third pics are of the oil pressure sensor with the weird green sensor next to it. The 4th pic is of the brown ECT sensor up by the radiator hoses. oh man, what to do...?
Old 09-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YumVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you don't throw any codes with the P61 without that sensor hooked up?

here are some pics of what i'm talking about:

This is what i'm talking about. The first picture is of the knock sensor (one wire). The second and third pics are of the oil pressure sensor with the weird green sensor next to it. The 4th pic is of the brown ECT sensor up by the radiator hoses. oh man, what to do...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Trust me, I know what each of those sensors are . No, no codes at all with the P61 or the P28. Runs fine. I just hooked up the sensor on the neck of the upper radiator hose and it works just fine. The sensor in the back is used on the GEN 2 tegs to toggle on/off the radiator fan. Thats all. On the EG, the fan switch is controlled by the sensor on the tstat housing.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for your input. I have an EF. and when i swapped in a d16y7 temporarily i hooked the fan control switch wires to the sensor on the thermostat housing (there was no sensor on the back of the y7), the fan did not ever come on properly, so I had to just hook the wires up to eachother so the fan was permanently on when the car was turned on.

in my situation do you recommend I hook those fan control wires from the EF harness to the back of the block (green plug) or to the ECT (brown plug)?? My gut is telling me to hook them up to the back of the block, because that's where they were hooked up originally on the d15b that was in the car when i got it and the fan turned on and worked fine.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YumVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for your input. I have an EF. and when i swapped in a d16y7 temporarily i hooked the fan control switch wires to the sensor on the thermostat housing (there was no sensor on the back of the y7), the fan did not ever come on properly, so I had to just hook the wires up to eachother so the fan was permanently on when the car was turned on.

in my situation do you recommend I hook those fan control wires from the EF harness to the back of the block (green plug) or to the ECT (brown plug)?? My gut is telling me to hook them up to the back of the block, because that's where they were hooked up originally on the d15b that was in the car when i got it and the fan turned on and worked fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In your case, run off the back of the block. This should get your fan working correctly.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am using a 93 Si SOHC harness that I modded to work with the DOHC. I have two ecus. One P61 that I use for smog, and the other is a Mugen chipped P28.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hybrid93Eg, do you use all the same wiring and sensors when switching form the P61 to the P28? I heard the P28 doesnt use the KS, is this true? And how much better does it run with the P28?
And how'd you mod the 93 SOHC harness? What was entailed?
And how hard was it? Can a wiring idiot like me do it?
Althought, mine is a DPFI OBD0 EF harness. This is the main thing holding up my B17 swap. I'm not comfortable hacking up my harnesses yet. So I'm trying learn all I can before I do.LOL
Old 09-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b17 swap into 90 Std. Civic, weird sensor on back of block (4crx4me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4crx4me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hybrid93Eg, do you use all the same wiring and sensors when switching form the P61 to the P28? I heard the P28 doesnt use the KS, is this true? And how much better does it run with the P28?
Althought, mine is a DPFI OBD0 EF harness. This is the main thing holding up my B17 swap. I'm not comfortable hacking up my harnesses yet. So I'm trying learn all I can before I do.LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

No changes need to be made to swith ECU's as they are both OBD-1 ECU's. The P28 does not support knock so it just ignores the knock sensor. The car runs 10x's better with the chipped P28 as far as power is concerned. I have seen gains as much as 10-15ftlbs of torque to the wheels on the dyno when swapping in the Mugen chip. The only problem is this chip isn't tuned and runs very rich, so mileage goes down the drain. The main reason I am running this chip is to bump the limiter up as I am running ITR valvetrain.

Modifying the harness isn't that hard. I extended the O2 connector so I could move it to the end of the downpipe, added the two wires for Vtec and then also added the knock sensor wire. Its not hard at all, but you do need to know a small amount about soldering and how to trace wires. I really couldn't say if you could do it or not. Like I said, its not that hard for me, but I have lots of electrical and mechanical experience.... If you were local, I would come help you out. But your a bit of a ways away
Old 09-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b17 swap into 90 Std. Civic, weird sensor on back of block (4crx4me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4crx4me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Althought, mine is a DPFI OBD0 EF harness. This is the main thing holding up my B17 swap. I'm not comfortable hacking up my harnesses yet. So I'm trying learn all I can before I do.LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

b17 swap into a DPFI 4g civic isn't hard. that's what i'm doing right now. i've got my harness all modified, and i've got my obd0 --&gt; obd1 jumper made. i'm finishing my VTEC/Knock/4-wire O2 sub harness tonight. let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The sensor in the back is used on the GEN 2 tegs to toggle on/off the radiator fan. Thats all. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hybrid93Eg is correct.
Except it's input is "Oil temp above 226 dg F" As per '93 Integra Helms.
Not "coolant temp" as some have posted. It's signal is sent to the fan timer. NOT The ECU. Only A/C equipped 2G tegs have a fan timer.
Don't ask me why, ask honda. LOL
HTH
Old 09-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hybrid93Eg is correct.
Except it's input is "Oil temp above 226 dg F" As per '93 Integra Helms.
Not "coolant temp" as some have posted. It's signal is sent to the fan timer. NOT The ECU. Only A/C equipped 2G tegs have a fan timer.
Don't ask me why, ask honda. LOL
HTH</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn it. Thats right. I should have remembered. I took mine out because I was going to plug the hole and recalled it was in an oil passage, not coolant. Oh well. Can't recall everything.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn it. Thats right. I should have remembered. I took mine out because I was going to plug the hole and recalled it was in an oil passage, not coolant. Oh well. Can't recall everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hybrid93Eg, I was just thinkin, if it's an oil temp switch what about replacing it with a oil temp sender and putting in an oil temp gauge?
Since EF's and EG's for that matter don't have a fan timer?
Good idea, or what? do you think it would work?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hybrid93Eg, I was just thinkin, if it's an oil temp switch what about replacing it with a oil temp sender and putting in an oil temp gauge?
Since EF's and EG's for that matter don't have a fan timer?
Good idea, or what? do you think it would work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds to me like it would work. Assuming your sending unit would thread into the hole without any trouble.