Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B16B EM1 swap

Old 07-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B16B EM1 swap

I'm thinking about doing a B16B swap into a EM1 chassis. Is there like a differences between the B16A2 and B16B (besides the performance spec) in terms of wiring harness, tranny, etc...? Or is it one of those direct bolt in type of swap. From the look of it, the two engines look nearly identical.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B16B EM1 swap

You're going to run into harness issues. You'll have no tach if you use the b16b ecu with an adapter, and you won't be able to scan the car for codes, jdm ecu's dont use the OBD2 plug. I just swapped a 2000 JDM B18C ITR into my 2000 EM1 and ran into some stuff. I have to pass emissions so I'm trying to make the car think it's a b16a2 lol. Do you have to pass emissions or anything? You can use your current axles if you plan on using your stock hubs. Motor mounts should be the same. What ECU do you plan on running?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:14 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Fr3sh
You're going to run into harness issues. You'll have no tach if you use the b16b ecu with an adapter, and you won't be able to scan the car for codes, jdm ecu's dont use the OBD2 plug. I just swapped a 2000 JDM B18C ITR into my 2000 EM1 and ran into some stuff. I have to pass emissions so I'm trying to make the car think it's a b16a2 lol. Do you have to pass emissions or anything? You can use your current axles if you plan on using your stock hubs. Motor mounts should be the same. What ECU do you plan on running?
You should have taken the route to make the car think the JDM ITR motor is a USDM ITR motor with a B18C5 ECU. I wonder if your tachometer issues were related to the fact that OBD2 motors have their crank position sensors located on the oil pump instead of the distributor...

Start reading here if you are concerned about emissions testing... google can also offer more recent articles as well.
How To Smog your Honda Swap - My Pro Street
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...gines-2905764/

You will be able to use 99% of the items from your B16A2 on the B16B long block. Fitment wise, you will be fine. You can use your EM1 harness but certain plugs may/will not be used (such as the VTEC oil pressure switch). However, if you need it to be emissions legal you will need to swap over a number of things to the B16B motor in order for it [B16A2 ECU] to "run" the B16B and communicate with your OBD2 port.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Fr3sh
I'm planning to use the current B16A2 ECU. No, i don't have to pass any emissions test. When you say no tach, do you mean as in no reading from the tachometer? So how do i scan for codes if there's no OBD2 plug? I supposed i can use the current ECU i supposed, if it's okay that is.

Originally Posted by ShinsenTuner
You should have taken the route to make the car think the JDM ITR motor is a USDM ITR motor with a B18C5 ECU. I wonder if your tachometer issues were related to the fact that OBD2 motors have their crank position sensors located on the oil pump instead of the distributor...

Start reading here if you are concerned about emissions testing... google can also offer more recent articles as well.

You will be able to use 99% of the items from your B16A2 on the B16B long block. Fitment wise, you will be fine. You can use your EM1 harness but certain plugs may/will not be used (such as the VTEC oil pressure switch). However, if you need it to be emissions legal you will need to swap over a number of things to the B16B motor in order for it [B16A2 ECU] to "run" the B16B and communicate with your OBD2 port.
99% swap compatibility sounds good. What all else need to make the swap go smoothly again? I seriously don't wanna run into major issues 1/4 down the road ya know.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShinsenTuner

I wanted to run a b18c5 ecu, problem is finding one, and the price for them. They are going for an atrocious $375. I've dumped 8 g's in my car (basically a half *** resto) and I need to save a bit. I'm gonna ditch the b16a2 ecu after i pass emissions.

Originally Posted by Type 56
I'm planning to use the current B16A2 ECU. No, i don't have to pass any emissions test. When you say no tach, do you mean as in no reading from the tachometer? So how do i scan for codes if there's no OBD2 plug? I supposed i can use the current ECU i supposed, if it's okay that is.

99% swap compatibility sounds good. What all else need to make the swap go smoothly again? I seriously don't wanna run into major issues 1/4 down the road ya know.
You will have to do the flash code retrieval, Jumper the scs connector and count the flashes. There are some posts on here but am not looking too hard lol.