Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B16A2 swap to '92 Civic - Needs advice!

Old 05-19-2004, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A2 swap to '92 Civic - Needs advice!

U P D A T E D

So far i'd figured out with the help of you guys, that i'll need the fallowing thingies to make the B16A2 swap into my EG (please warn me if i'm wrong!)

Thingies for the swap:

- Complete B16A2 swap with tranny
- I can use the B-series motor mounts
- I can use the 96-01 GSR or ITR harness to get OBD2->OBD1 wires with OBD2 plugs and OBD1 connector to the ecu (is it?)
- I can use a P30 ecu without modding
- I can use a 94+ Integra (not Type-R) shift linkage, or the linkage came with the B16A2 engine
- I have to do some work with the O2 sensor (4 wire conversion for the P30, but i have no idea what to do with the two O2 sensors - one before the cat, one after the cat. maybe using only one is a solution. dunno.)
- I have wiring diagrams for the ecu (IAT, Knock sensor, VTEC, please warn me about the bottlenecks of the procedure )
- I can use the axles coming with the B16A2
- radiator hose from a VTEC Del Sol (i'm digging hard u see )
- throttle body from the B16A2

TO DO for the check-up:

- check or replace the timing belt
- check or replace the water pump
- check or replace the dirtributor parts
- check the sparkplugs
- check the valve clearences

This is what i have so far. The info are far from sure for me, so even if you can say: 'ok, you can do that, i know' i'll be happy. Correct me please in any detail, coz i'd *really* like to do this swap. Any minor changes and suggestions worth time and $$ of corse. Don't hesitate to go into details.

Great thanks for your help and support so far!
- Asin

Original Topic starter:

Hi Everyone,

I'm kinda new here so i introduce: my name is Asin, and i'm from Hungary (Central-Eastern Europe), and i'm loooonging for a B16A2 swap for my '92 civic, so please help me out if you can.

One of my pals totaled his car (from the back till the drivewheel) and now i have the option to by his engine with tranny, ecu, harness and everything i want. I did some research, so i assume, my car has OBD1, and hydro tranny, the engine i long for (B16A2) is an OBD2 and hydro tranny as well. The recent engine is in my car is a D15B2 and as far as it is only different from D15B7 by the fuel injection, i _assume_ my car is OBD1. Am i correct?

My question is, what is the ideal solution? Get the ecu from my friend's car with the harnesses, and go OBD2 (i think if i go this way no other conversion needed, and he would sell it cheaply), or stay OBD1 with another solution (which i don't know, since my ecu is not vtec, so i will need an ecu, p28 maybe, and some harnesses).

The other question is, thet what axles should i use? Which ones fits directly to the 92' chasis with B16A2 engine?

...And guys i have to tell, it's some bloody hard work to make a swap here in hungary, coz there are very few companies shipping to this country. So noone swaps engines here. Thatswhy I would be very happy with your answer.

Thanks!
- Asin

Modified by Asin at 7:10 AM 5/21/2004

Modified by Asin at 4:56 PM 5/24/2004
Old 05-19-2004, 01:12 AM

Default Re: B16A2 swap to '92 Civic - Needs advice! (Asin)

The axles outta your buddies car will work perfect. Also your only option really is to stay obd1. You would need to use your engine harness and rewire the dist., injectors, intake air temp sensor and the alternator. Aside from that i would recomend a chpped p28 ecu or a p30 ecu. Good luck. Feel free to PM with any questions.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:36 AM

Default Re: B16A2 swap to '92 Civic - Needs advice! (jDmDxTuRd)

Thanks for the answer!!!

The 'axles part' is ok for me. Easier than thought, cool! Anyway, the OBD part is kinda hard, coz *i think* i can find a p28 or p30 ecu, but surely i have no chance to chip it in this part of the world. What do you mean by chipping? Change the rev and the vtec point? Do you know someone (corp or man) who does chipping with international shipping?

Another question: What if I use the B16A2 OBD2 harnesses with the ecu came with the B16A2. (Generally, i know this is a bad idea, coz if i want to use hondata thingies, i have to go back OBD1, so as you said, P28 or P30 would be the perfect choice.) Or with other words: what will fail/what will i loose if i use the ecu came with the B16A2? (sorry, i don't know the code.)

Thanks again!
- Asin
Old 05-19-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Re: B16A2 swap to '92 Civic - Needs advice! (jDmDxTuRd)

Gheee, i found a cool article among the archives, it sais if i use 96-01 Integra TR or GSR harness altough it's OBD2 i can directly plug it in a P28 ecu. Cool! Now i just have to find a chipped P28 for my B16A2.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually asin, i spoke to the guy that did that write up, and he said its wrong. Im actually doing the same swap, and i asked him for help. I think he said the 02 sensors do not match up. He also used a kenji ecu which according to him might no even look for the 02 sensor. This is the convo i had with him.

(10:10 PM 5/17/2004) B18C5-EH2: Read my reply here:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=550976

Also there's some differences with the VX engine harness...let me find that info

(10:17 PM 5/17/2004) teamsol: If you run that re-chipped P28 and the 96-01 Integra harness then the swap is almost 100% plug and play. Hell in your Civic VX it will be 100% plug and play if you find a GS-R or Type R harness. Not one single wire will need to be ran this way. My 1992 CX (prewired for VTEC like your VX is, because all 1992 Civics were wired for VTEC regardless of trim) didn't require one single wire at all with my 1998 B18C5 swap because I used a re-chipped P28 and the Integra engine harness. this is what you stated, so all i would need is a gsr or itr wiring harness and i can run the kenji ecu right? my car should still be obd1 and thats how it would show up at emissions? and as far as my obd2 alternator, distr, and injectors, it should all work out with that kenji ecu? and all the wiring i need to do, is to extend the iavc wires correct? thanks again
-Damian

(10:22 PM 5/17/2004) B18C5-EH2: There is supposed to be a few pins different on the VX chassi harness, but it's very simple. I'll have to look that up about 6:30ET tonight when I get home from work.

(10:23 PM 5/17/2004) B18C5-EH2: hit me back then and I'll get you the link. This was found out after I posted all of that. The difference has to do with the o2 sensor pins on the chassis harness. Only thing is that I've heard the Kenji ECU doesn't even read the o2 sensor anyways! This is something that you can ask Kenji, the guy who does the ECU. He will know for sure.

this guy is way cool and is willing to help anyone ofcouse his name is B18C5-EH2, im going to speak with him later today to get some pointers from him. Hope this helps
Old 05-19-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: B16A2 swap to '92 Civic - Needs advice! (teamsol)

Uhh-umm, it was the topic i saw the info. Useful one, indeed.

Anyway, thanks for the valuable info! But to make things clear: what is wrong? the harness (i think four wires from the O2 sensor), or the programming of the ecu?

I am thinking of getting the pre-chiped ecu and harnesses from place racing. In case jdmshit.com offers international transfer.

I'm still unsure about the motor mounts. Should i use the old ones (ok, CAN I use the old ones, or the ones coming with the B16A2), or i have to buy new ones? Where? Which one?

Ok, another question. Does anyone know the "Harness For B16A W/Gray Plugs" made by PlaceRacing (sn: PLA-WIRE12 or PLA-WIRE11)? What is it for? Is this a harness instead of the 96-01 ITR or GSR harness?

What else will i need for the swap? Shift Linkage For B16A maybe? Any suggestions?

Anyway, if i happen to do this swap ever, i'll make a how-to. Not because i'm good in this, but because i collect things to other buddies. (for eg. What will i need for a B16A2 swap in my '92 civic?)

Thanks for your help guys so far, i'm waiting for your suggestions.

bye
- Asin
Old 05-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i dont know the answer to all your questions since i myself are asking some of the similar question. As for the linkage goes, you will need b-series linkage and axles. As for the wiring harness i know that the 02 wires need to be rewired. For the best info ask him
Old 05-20-2004, 02:30 AM

Default Re: B16A2 swap to '92 Civic - Needs advice! (teamsol)

UP, up, on the waay! I still need info!

So far i'd figured out with the help of you guys, that i'll need the fallowing thingies to make the B16A2 swap into my EG (please warn me if i'm wrong!)

Thingies for the swap:

- Complete B16A2 swap with tranny
- I can use the B-series motor mounts
- I can use the 96-01 GSR or ITR harness to get OBD2->OBD1 wires with OBD2 plugs and OBD1 connector to the ecu (is it?)
- I can use a P30 ecu without modding
- I can use a 94+ Integra (not Type-R) shift linkage, or the linkage came with the B16A2 engine
- I have to do some work with the O2 sensor (4 wire conversion for the P30, but i have no idea what to do with the two O2 sensors - one before the cat, one after the cat. maybe using only one is a solution. dunno.)
- I have wiring diagrams for the ecu (IAT, Knock sensor, VTEC, please warn me about the bottlenecks of the procedure )
- I can use the axles coming with the B16A2
- radiator hose from a VTEC Del Sol (i'm digging hard u see )
- throttle body from the B16A2

TO DO for the check-up:

- check or replace the timing belt
- check or replace the water pump
- check or replace the dirtributor parts
- check the sparkplugs
- check the valve clearences

This is what i have so far. The info are far from sure for me, so even if you can say: 'ok, you can do that, i know' i'll be happy. Correct me please in any detail, coz i'd *really* like to do this swap. Any minor changes and suggestions worth time and $$ of corse. Don't hesitate to go into details.

Great thanks for your help and support so far!
- Asin

Modified by Asin at 7:08 AM 5/21/2004
Old 05-20-2004, 10:01 AM

up, up, up!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:31 PM

get a p28 or p30 and go and look up uberdata and chip the ecu yourself. for a little more than buying a chipped ecu where all they do is dump more fuel & advance the timing. bc without tuning it and getting the right a/f mixture the engine will never run what it should be.

this post says that you can chip your vx ecu..

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=870366
Old 05-20-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: B16A2 swap to '92 Civic - Needs advice! (eg92b16a2)

That's cool! thanks for the info! Any other suggestions?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:15 AM

Please!
Old 05-24-2004, 06:56 AM

Please!