Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b16a2 into 91 CRX??? reply only if you wanna' help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default b16a2 into 91 CRX??? reply only if you wanna' help...

Before any remarks i did 3 SEARCHES and nothing came up!

Okay this is the story, my friend totaled his '00 SI and i'm buying the "car" from the jy.(hit on the passenger's side)
I have a 91 crx with a ZC motor that i swapped myself. it was actually really easy, so the "hard labor" of dropping the motor won't be that hard. Anyways, i'm buying the motor mounts(i'm not rewelding...) I want to get the LS cable tranny(all b-series tranny all interchangeable?) so i won't have to deal with the hydro/cable crap!

Now, if i get the acura tranny, i'll need the brake hubs also for the axles right?
Because there's no way the CRX's axles will fit the tranny, or the acura axles fit the CRX's hubs...(correct me if i'm wrong)

Now the wiring i can find someone to do that for me, but will i be able to use the HF's harness or just get the one from the SI's. And last: shift linkage(will it be the SI, the Acura or the one thats there right now?)

Again sorry if it has been asked before, but the search was not giving me anything i could work with!!!

THANKS for the help!

Old 01-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b16a2 into 91 CRX??? reply only if you wanna' help... (joey1320)

you're getting yourself into a pretty complicated swap.

- the axles from the Si may work if you use the Si half shaft. to be safe match up axles/half-shaft with the tranny you use (ie. 90-93 Integra LS tranny with 90-93 Integra LS axles, intermediate shaft)

- you will need a custom linkage, hasport sells one that you can use, or you can cut and re-weld the Si linkage the proper length

- you will need b-series mount kit, again hasport makes a good one

- wiring will be not very fun because you are putting an obd2 motor into an obd0 car. you will need to get some obd0 injectors (maybe the ones off your ZC?), and an obd0 distributor, and a PR3 or PW0 obd0 b16a ECU. use your HF harness on the motor and splice in the sensor plugs from the Si harness when the HF ones don't plug up. get a hasport vtec harness to make adding vtec to your harness more simple.

there's a lot more, but that's a start...
Old 01-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a2 into 91 CRX??? reply only if you wanna' help... (YumVTEC)

okay i'm not keeping the SI's tranny(hydro) so i'm definitely getting an 90-93 LS tranny(cable). So if i use that tranny, could i use the acura's front suspension(the calipers/hub) so that i can use the acura's axles???

the shift linkage is actually not that big of a deal, the cutting and welding of it won't be hard, i just wanted to know if any of the ones i mentioned would fit properly with out cutting...

Now about the injector? you said i would have to change them for them to work fine??? i really don't get that part, if anybody can explain...

I'll send hasport an email, hopefully they can guide me along the way, since i'll be buying the mounts from them!!!
thanks for the help!
Old 01-01-2003, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay i'm not keeping the SI's tranny(hydro) so i'm definitely getting an 90-93 LS tranny(cable). So if i use that tranny, could i use the acura's front suspension(the calipers/hub) so that i can use the acura's axles???
you must've changed your hubs/brakes when you did your ZC swap unless you kept your HF tranny. if they are your HF hubs then yes, you will need to change them. yes, the integra hubs/brakes will bolt up in the front and rear.

the shift linkage is actually not that big of a deal, the cutting and welding of it won't be hard, i just wanted to know if any of the ones i mentioned would fit properly with out cutting...
There aren't any that will fit.

Now about the injector? you said i would have to change them for them to work fine??? i really don't get that part, if anybody can explain...
The way the ECU talks to the injectors in a MPFI 4g civic (88-91) is through a resistor box. If you use the obd2 injectors, then your obd0 computer won't be able to control them properly and you could fry them or the ECU. you could convert your car to run an obd1 ecu and eliminate the resistor box, then you wouldn't need to get obd0 injectors/distrib/ecu. I am putting a 92 b17a in my wife's 90 Std. Hatch and we will be converting to OBD1.

I'll send hasport an email, hopefully they can guide me along the way, since i'll be buying the mounts from them!!!
thanks for the help!
Good plan.
[/QUOTE]
Old 01-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup what he said..

And look into HCP they make good mounts and adjustable linkage, both of which I used in my swap (see sig). A lot of peolpe complain about the linkage, but if you set it up right it's fine.

Good luck
Old 01-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b16a2 into 91 CRX??? reply only if you wanna' help... (1st-hybrid)

this is going to be out of left field but this is what i would do

sell the b16a2 swap for about 2500$

buy a first gen b16 with LSD for about 1500$ and spend the rest on mods for it.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a2 into 91 CRX??? reply only if you wanna' help... (Kamin)

exactly what he said.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a2 into 91 CRX??? reply only if you wanna' help... (Kamin)

this is going to be out of left field but this is what i would do

sell the b16a2 swap for about 2500$

buy a first gen b16 with LSD for about 1500$ and spend the rest on mods for it.
Good point. That swap will easily fetch $2000-2500. Not worth the hassle to convert everything to obd0 when you could just sell it and buy a swap that's already obd0.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There aren't any that will fit.

The way the ECU talks to the injectors in a MPFI 4g civic (88-91) is through a resistor box. If you use the obd2 injectors, then your obd0 computer won't be able to control them properly and you could fry them or the ECU. you could convert your car to run an obd1 ecu and eliminate the resistor box, then you wouldn't need to get obd0 injectors/distrib/ecu. I am putting a 92 b17a in my wife's 90 Std. Hatch and we will be converting to OBD1.
Actually, Most of the time hasports linkage is a SiR linkage.

On the injectors, he can keep the OBd2 injectors, swap clips, and remove the resistor box. If you run the OBD0 injectors, than you will need the resistor box. If you run the OBd1/2 injectors, solder the 5 wires together that go into the resistor box and remove the box.

Old 01-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, is this car going to be boosted? If not, I wouldnt get the LS trans. Either get the YS1 GSR trans or a S1 or Y1 or something that is closer geared.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a2 into 91 CRX??? reply only if you wanna' help... (Blown90hatcH)

i haven't decided yat what to do. my brother has a 92 hatchback so he might want to buy the motor. but i can sell it to him for 2000$ cuz' he knows how much i paid, since he was there with me.
i was also going to get a turbo from a dsm(whole kit) for 350$, but ny friend is not sure if he wants to sell now...
So i might go with the ZC, get the Eagle rods that i found for 350$, get some JE pistons and install the ZEX kit that i got at the garage...

Too many options... i'm glad taxes are coming soon!!!!

Does anybody got feedbacks on the Eagle rods/JE pistons... Or should i go with SRP/Wiseco or some other brand?