Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B16A1 into a '91 Civic Hatchback (DX) - n00b here

Old 01-31-2002, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A1 into a '91 Civic Hatchback (DX) - n00b here

Ok, I have a completely stock civic hatchback DX (91).

I have just recently gotten the desire to start upgrading it and learning more about it, so you will have to excuse my n00b *** (still trying to figure out all the terminoligy (sp) involved here...heh).

Basically, since I have stock, I am wanting to increase the speed/hp/ect.

I have been researching for the past week what seems like non-stop (ever since the itch to do this took hold of me...and goddamn this is a strong itch), I have figured the best way to start out is with the engine swap.

Now, I am thinking I'll want to get a B16A1 put in there. I have found part lists, and different things that I'll need to do this, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done this on a DX before, or seen it done/know something about it. I am also going to be using this as my normal driving car, so I'll want to keep the AC also (I have read that I need another bracket/mount if I want to keep this). I have a couple questions about this. What is the round-about price I am looking at for just parts? What about labor?

I dont have the tools nor the time (or know-how...yet) to do this. I went to a local engine shop (engine rebuilds/replaceing, ect), and he said that he knows a little bit about it, and it is something that he would be interested in, and so he wants me to bring some info about it. I have found some, info, but I am always looking for more, but any links or info you guys might have would be a great benifit to me. He also said the mechanical side is no problem, and the hardest part would probably be the wiring (which, with all the diagrams I have found on the web, and a few people I know, I will probably be able to do this if he doesn't want to.)

What were you guys charged for labor for this swap, or similar swaps? What is a good price range to look for? Any helpful hints that you have on this?

All the help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B16A1 into a '91 Civic Hatchback (DX) - n00b here (rage)

http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/

the best resource i've found so far. click on 4g tech
I'm in the same boat as you... except i want to do my own labor.
http://www.hondamotorsonline.com/

these guys advertise a b16a sir1 that claims to have everything needed to drop in.... i think the only thing we need to add for ours is '91 civic si hubs and we need to convert our wiring from dual point injection to multi point.

can someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

[Modified by thumpu77, 6:48 AM 2/1/2002]

[Modified by thumpu77, 6:50 AM 2/1/2002]