Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is a b16a swap worth it?

Old 11-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a b16a swap worth it?

alright im getting to the point where im needing to swap out my stock d-series for a much awaited b-series. im thinkin a b16a swap cuz its cheap and will be good for my first swap. learning/driving. i know i could handle a gsr/r swap no prob i just dont know if its worth the 3500-5k....also i think that a b16 will be slow at first but part of the fun will be building it up....i just dont want to rush, get a b16, realize its a slow piece, and a $ pit, then end up swappin it out for a c1/c5. im on a budget cus im rollin out to japan in a week or so and i just wrecked so $ is low. also im a student so cash flow is extra weak. my Eg with any swap, will be my daily driver/ autox/street. thanx
_______
Old 11-25-2003, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: is a b16a swap worth it? (HUBB)

I've known a few people who bought a B16A with very high expectations and were disappointed. It really all boils down to 2 things: what are your goals and how much money do you have to spend? Stock for stock the B18C is of course better than a B16A. Is it worth about $1500-2500 or so more? Well that's debatable, but to the people that went B18C I'm sure most will agree.
Now if you have intentions of building, say a LSVTEC, CRVTEC, etc. then the B16A would be a good choice because you are getting all the expensive stuff that's hard to get in separate forms at once: tranny, VTEC head + VTEC ECU. If you want to go all motor and stay with a 1.6L block, well that's gonna be a hard road traveled.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is a b16a swap worth it? (VTECVillain)

i just want to build a fast EG that willbe an all around "racer". autox, street, occasional HPDE. im not made of $ so this is a car built on a budget. I already have handles.....im lacking speed. I just dont want to save 5k get a b18c5 and never use it for what its worth....on the flip i dont want to get a b16a and be dissapointed and be kickin my self for not bein patient.....this will be my first hybrid/vtec car so.......i dont know.....
Old 11-25-2003, 09:44 AM

In the end will you be spending 5k anyway on the B16 to build it up? Maybe the C5 is worth the wait. Then there's the H22, but you haven't mentioned it so you're probably not interested. Its a decent amount more to do right anyway.

But you should have a plan of attack and stick to it because its cheaper in the end. Have you been in an EG/B16 ?? Get a ride or a drive if you can or in a car with as close to the same power/weight ratio. I drove a 2000 Si when I was plannin my swap and it didnt have what I was lookin for. I decided to try the H22 and am very happy.

I know we aren't all made out of money, so keep expectations in your budget... Which is???

So do it right and save for a bigger motor than a B16. Thats what it sounds like to me.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, another question for ya is: what kind of car are you putting it in? the difference between, let's say, a 99 ek hatch and a 92 eg hatch can be astounding. even within the eg lineup, there are differences to keep in mind. differences as large as 3-400 lbs can be found between a eg vx/cx/dx hathc and a ex 2/4 door. a b16 in a cx hatch equals 160 hp in a near 2000 lb car.

decide what the hell it is you are trying to build, and the answer will come to you by itself. an all out fast streetcar? B18C. an cheap affordable, quick beater type of thing? B16 will fulfill your needs adequately.

for the price diff. between teh two setups, you can make a b16 perform just as well as a stock B18C. the question in the end is: how much money do you plan to ultimately put towards speed? if 4 k is your ceiling, a b16 turbo setup can be yours. but that same 4 k might not get you very far in a B18c.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95stangkillah)

w3rd....u guys came clean in those replies...thankyou....my buddy has a stock 2000 Si and i have driven it many times....it seems sorta slow for what it is. im thinkin since my dx EG is gutted, im 120lbs, along with 15 in slips ill be faster with intake, headers, and exhaust. im almost sure ill be satisfied. im still thowin other ideas around but for now im pretty stoked on gettin a b16 swap.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HUBB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just want to build a fast EG that willbe an all around "racer". autox, street, occasional HPDE. im not made of $ so this is a car built on a budget. I already have handles.....im lacking speed. I just dont want to save 5k get a b18c5 and never use it for what its worth....on the flip i dont want to get a b16a and be dissapointed and be kickin my self for not bein patient.....this will be my first hybrid/vtec car so.......i dont know..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i know what you mean, but i mean damn...i love my b18c...totally worth the money IMO