Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B16 Head GSR Block Tranny Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 Head GSR Block Tranny Trouble

So i just finished the build, b16 head b18c1 block and a b16 tranny, changed the clutch, and now 4th gear is grinding. Its not like a little grind, then it goes into gear.Its a heavy grind and it wont even go in until the rpms drop to about 2 or 3 thousand. Every other gear goes in pretty smooth.

Now i have never had trouble with the transmission before.Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Head GSR Block Tranny Trouble (Hotori Hanso)

they really need to make a tranny forum...
Old 05-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Could be the synchro rings....Or the shift fork(s) may be bent....
Old 05-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much oil did you put in the transmision? But the Manual Transmission Fluid from Honda. Change out the tranny oil, see if it helps.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Change the trans fluid and hope, but plan on cracking the trans open and replacing some parts. My guess is the complete 4th synchro set needs to go. Honda has the parts, but they're not cheap.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpaton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpaton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Change the trans fluid and hope, but plan on cracking the trans open and replacing some parts. My guess is the complete 4th synchro set needs to go. Honda has the parts, but they're not cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If i got this tranny used i would agree with you but its the one i had on my last swap and there was nothing ever wrong with it.

well im going to replace the tranny fluid with synchromesh and hope for the best.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hotori Hanso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hotori Hanso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If i got this tranny used i would agree with you but its the one i had on my last swap and there was nothing ever wrong with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your original description is basically of a 4th gear synchro failure. It could be the retainer ring, the dogs, the slider, the synchro rings themselves, or a hundred other little things. The point is, something is mechanically wrong with your transmission. It maye have been wrong before and the clutch install aggrivated it, or something new broke the first time you used it, or whatever. It doesn't matter.

Synchromesh can't fix the problem, only hide it for a little while. Even if it does work for now, at some point, you're going to end up back inside the transmission, replacing parts. It's inevitable.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpaton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpaton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Your original description is basically of a 4th gear synchro failure. It could be the retainer ring, the dogs, the slider, the synchro rings themselves, or a hundred other little things. The point is, something is mechanically wrong with your transmission. It maye have been wrong before and the clutch install aggrivated it, or something new broke the first time you used it, or whatever. It doesn't matter.

Synchromesh can't fix the problem, only hide it for a little while. Even if it does work for now, at some point, you're going to end up back inside the transmission, replacing parts. It's inevitable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

w e are all going to have to rebuild our trannys some day, i just hope i dont have to do mine now. well thanks for the posts and ill keep ya updated.