Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b16 in 95 EG Si,, smokes like a hog, blows mad oil, ????

Old 09-30-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 in 95 EG Si,, smokes like a hog, blows mad oil, ????

OK, im posting for a freind becuase he is too depressed and i want him to be able to go to track with me next week.
Alright, check this out. i sold him a mint b16 swap from a 2k SI , dipshit pulled the cam gears, and didnt mark the belt, put the stock gears back on blind, turns out it was off a few teeth on the exhaust cam.
He realizes its not running right becuase of that, i get the **** back on properly and everything is fine, car pulled hard, ran great,, then 200 miles later, it started smoking like a pig and blowin raw oil all the way through his exhaust system.
he pulled plugs,, #1 cyl had tons of oil in it, he pulled cyl #1's valves and on the exhaust side's valves was tons of oil at the base of the vlave stem...
he had to of bent the valves on the exhaust side #1 cyl when the timing belt was improoerly reinstalled. there was no signs of damage on the piston tops, and prior to pulling anything apart, he did a comp. test and it was 210 across the board.
--my diagnosis, he bent the valves,,, then the valve guides went bad over the 200 miles and caused mad oil leakage into the combustion chamber

ANYHOW, instead of getting all new valves, guides, seals, ETC.
he gets this mysterius GSR head, skunk2 mani, has porting, double springs, and maybe aftermarket valves, he used his b16 cams. So maybe this one is good? WRONG,
fired it up, ran fine for 5mins,, then came the mad smoke again, same thing as before, #1 cyl doused with oil. It also, when idling has some wierd as whining noise to it,, sounds like a scary movie under his hood or some ****.
---- havnt talked to him since,, hes been sulking in his room or some ****, haha
hes using a OBD2 GSR harness on a kenji p28, I/H/ stock exhaust.
one thing i forgot to ask him is if he cleaned the old exhaust out from all the oil with the b16 head

If anyone has anything that can lead us to the probable cuase,,, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
-james
Old 09-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b16 in 95 EG Si,, smokes like a hog, blows mad oil, ???? (SofaKing)

have a leakdown test preformed, sounds like that "mint" 2000si motor has bad rings.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:15 PM

Default Re: b16 in 95 EG Si,, smokes like a hog, blows mad oil, ???? (Kamin)

yeah, i told him to do that,, but the thing is, only on the exhuast valves did it have major oil deposits on the base of the valve stem... valve opens for exhaust and oil pisses out due to the bad valve guide, and its only on the exhaust side. Its wierd. could be bad rings on the #1, but i hope we actually figure this **** out.
yO-!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Re: b16 in 95 EG Si,, smokes like a hog, blows mad oil, ???? (SofaKing)

YO! I'm the sulking depressed dood who has this ailing B16. I used a brand spanking new head gasket each time I pulled the head (like 4 times now, it's getting mad expensive). The timing belt seems fine, I didn't stretch it or anything to put it on, it went on just like it did with the B16 head. It's all stuff that could have been wrong, but these two particular things are ok.
Here's what I think. When I originally pulled the belt, the exhaust cam was only advanced 1 tooth, so I assumed (bad thing to do) that I bent a valve, blah, blah, blah. Well here is my new diagnosis. Since there was only raw oil on the #1 plug and exhaust valves, and it's a totally different head/valves/springs/head gasket, it's got to be something with the rings. What I'm doing is this. I've got a new set of rings on the way, along with a new gasket. I'm going to pull the #1 piston tomorrow and take a look at the rings. Either they are fried, or somehow they shifted and the gaps have lined up just enough to let oil through. Any input on this??? If they are bad, I am obviously going to replace all the rings and bolt that sucker back up and see what happens. Thanks for the input cavakilla. I'll keep ya's updated. HOLLA!

Thanks for the help Jimbo.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:14 AM

Default Re: b16 in 95 EG Si,, smokes like a hog, blows mad oil, ???? (94CivSi)

It's been a while since I've been on, cuz I've been working on my car too much. I just pulled the head and oil pan, getting ready to replace rings. After I pulled the head off, I was looking at the cylinder walls, making sure I didn't need to hone it out. Well, I found a huge horizontal gouge out of the #1 cylinder wall, way to big to hone out. I checked everying before I put it back together the first time, and didn't look at it until now . Low and behold, I NEED A NEW BLOCK. I had plans of a winter project too. . Well, if anyone out there in the northern Illinois area knows of a bare b16a2 or GSR complete bottom end, please hit this thread. I've got a couple of my buddies on the lookout too (Sofaking). I guess there will be no track this thursday. DAMN!!

clark
Old 10-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b16 in 95 EG Si,, smokes like a hog, blows mad oil, ???? (94CivSi)

yeppers. i called it.

that sucks man.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:34 AM

Default Re: b16 in 95 EG Si,, smokes like a hog, blows mad oil, ???? (Kamin)

Yeah, it sux. I'm pissed I didn't catch it sooner, could have saved time and $$$. Keep your eyes open for b16 stuff for me. Thanks.

clark