Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B series engine, K series tranny, is there an adapter plate/is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B series engine, K series tranny, is there an adapter plate/is it possible?

Pretty much what the title says, looked around, wanna know if the splines are the same or if anybody knows how to do it?... No I dont wanna swap a K series engine as well
Old 11-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B series engine, K series tranny, is there an adapter plate/is it possible? (fastrunner)

i highly doubt that it will work, block are differnet shapes
Old 11-25-2005, 06:11 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: B series engine, K series tranny, is there an adapter plate/is it possible? (fastrunner)

Gonna try and set a speed record in reverse?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya man, they're made to spin in opposite directions
Old 11-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B series engine, K series tranny, is there an adapter plate/is it possible? (JV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gonna try and set a speed record in reverse? </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 11-27-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: B series engine, K series tranny, is there an adapter plate/is it possible? (Dragline)

Never thought about the engine position *kicked in head* ! but an adapter plate could house an extra gear that would change the problem with the direction of rotation. Oh well...
Old 11-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastrunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Never thought about the engine position *kicked in head* ! but an adapter plate could house an extra gear that would change the problem with the direction of rotation. Oh well... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, give it a try and let us know if it works. I highly doubt that though.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about this too. then i was searching and found your thread.

Now here is what i was thinking...

the k series engine spins in the opposite direction of the b series engine... now instead of getting a gear box that will correct the spinning direction... i was thinking... why not just mount the engine backwards... how the k series is mounted... so the b series will be like driving in reverse if it had a b series tranny but going foward if it had a k series tranny....

this obcourse would need a custom mounts... but thats a lot better then getting a 7000$ gear box.

If i had a k series tranny i have access to a plasma cutter and could make an adapter plate no problem... i used to make them for 350v8s to mount them to porche trannys.

So what do you guys think???
Custom mounts
custom header
adapter plate
custom axles
custom spline or extender

just reverse the b series and you can have a quicker tranny depending on which k series tranny you use...

Modified by LordAphotic at 5:56 AM 12/8/2005
Old 12-08-2005, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LordAphotic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LordAphotic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was thinking about this too. then i was searching and found your thread.

Now here is what i was thinking...

the k series engine spins in the opposite direction of the b series engine... now instead of getting a gear box that will correct the spinning direction... i was thinking... why not just mount the engine backwards... how the k series is mounted... so the b series will be like driving in reverse if it had a b series tranny but going foward if it had a k series tranny....

this obcourse would need a custom mounts... but thats a lot better then getting a 7000$ gear box.

If i had a k series tranny i have access to a plasma cutter and could make an adapter plate no problem... i used to make them for 350v8s to mount them to porche trannys.

So what do you guys think???
Custom mounts
custom header
adapter plate
custom axles
custom spline or extender

just reverse the b series and you can have a quicker tranny depending on which k series tranny you use...

Modified by LordAphotic at 5:56 AM 12/8/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like your on to something here.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Except..... the flywheel is going to be on the other side, no?

Otherwise, you'd still need to keep the K tranny in reverse, wouldn't you? or am I missing something...?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fly wheel is going to be on the otherside??? i dont understand what you mean?
I am gona photochop some pictures to show everyone what i mean.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:39 PM

you could use a hig torque gear differential to reverse the rotation of the crank shaft just by welding the portion where the ring is to something solid, it would work but I think it would make the whole assembly to long for the chassis.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:26 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

This all sounds highly impractical and illogical.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Ditto

Sure. I did it twice last night.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RotiEatter)

what a waste...

mate a bad *** tranny to a not so bad *** motor... For what? So you can say you have 6 gears?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you would need different mounts and axles, which would add up to the cost of the bloody K series when all was said and done
Old 12-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (unusual71)

It would only cost you the price of the trans and the axles if you are a good welder to fab your own parts! You could use the combo you would have to switch the rod around to make sure there were no problems with the bearings!! It has been done with h series.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: (ismkv8s)

We are only talking about this for the fun of it, the first person to do an ls/vtec probaly ran into the same crap as this, but when it was all said and done, every little ****** hopped on the bandwagon.

So if you dont have a constructive idea then STFU and go home, dont post cuz everybody else said "bad idea"!
Old 12-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what a waste...

mate a bad *** tranny to a not so bad *** motor... For what? So you can say you have 6 gears? </TD></TR></TABLE>

we can argue about Bseries being inferior/superior to the Kseries but thats not the topic. u gotta admit it would be pretty cool seeing the K tranny on a Bseries
Old 12-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d0twinx)

how is it mating a bad *** tranny to a not so bad *** motor????

what if someone has a built b series already ummm lets say TURBO, and instead of jumping on the kseries bandwagon, just opts for the better tranny,

6th gear+turbo=
Old 12-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bboylito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bboylito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how is it mating a bad *** tranny to a not so bad *** motor????

what if someone has a built b series already ummm lets say TURBO, and instead of jumping on the kseries bandwagon, just opts for the better tranny,

6th gear+turbo= </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-19-2005, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Taristin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Taristin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Except..... the flywheel is going to be on the other side, no?

Otherwise, you'd still need to keep the K tranny in reverse, wouldn't you? or am I missing something...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Run the B series motor in reverse.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This all sounds highly impractical and illogical.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes sir!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bboylito)

turbo power to the 6 speed tranny from the K, and there short gearing= no traction

600hp+ K series...
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=341290

Modified by Jon V at 6:03 PM 12/19/2005
Old 12-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (skunked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Run the B series motor in reverse.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

But then you'd have to rework the motor completely...
Old 12-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Taristin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Taristin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But then you'd have to rework the motor completely...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not completely. Reverse starter, reverse cams and manifolds.....just in day's work

For a 6 speed K gearbox it's not worth it. Maybe for a G force air shifted tranny

Quick Reply: B series engine, K series tranny, is there an adapter plate/is it possible?