Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD CRX del Sol - CRV driveline swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AWD CRX del Sol - CRV driveline swap

Thanks mate, as is yours!

Started playing with new stuff for a change...

Not so sure about this one though. The injector ports don't quite line up and I'm not sure I want to port the head to match...

Its worse without the funky plastic thing that thinks its a phenolic spacer.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe use a phenolic spacer and port it at an angle for a smoother transition?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, think I might do just that. Got a few more pressing matters to attend to though...

http://www.rallydata.com/Entries_Col...yListSetUp.cfm

4 weeks! Crunch time. Still need to fab up a skid plate, reinforce the oil pan, paint the car, install a hydraulic hand brake and mount up two extinguishers...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that an event where you'd run a co-driver/navigator?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is =3 Still hunting one down though. I had a few people interested until they found out how much it would cost. Fire suit, helmet, head and neck restraint, co-drivers' lisence...

The event's page: http://www.northnevadarally.com/
Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

North Nevada Rally needs your help! They're low on volunteers and could use a hand or twelve. You get free shwag and depending on how you help, you might get to drive the stages in your own car without the rumpus suit (how cool is that!? :D ). No experience needed, they'll teach you everything you need to know. It is by far the best and cheapest way to get into rally. Hang out with the teams, check out the cars, talk to really cool rally folk and hear a bunch of stories.

Its near Lovelock, NV Friday then moves up near Gerlach, NV for Saturday.

NNR's volunteer page: http://www.northnevadarally.com/volunteers.php

I volunteered last year. Drove out on most of Saturday's actual stages in my van, at better than 40mph, to get to my work station. Was my job to watch the road that came down at the hairpin. Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCFBCUSSxSs
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Work in progress, still need to cut and weld up the sides and add a few braces. 4 weeks to race day!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RallySol
That weld looks fantastic. Don't you just love it when you get the heat, speed and gas flow just right?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks bud! It is a beautiful thing when that happens, yes

Three weeks to go. To-Do list is getting shorter. Hope I have time for paint, would be nice to pretty the car up for its debut.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

facebook: IMS Rally Team

Also:
Originally Posted by SpecialStage
Just wow. Was one hell of an experience. Yup we finished *yeay* and with only one serious-ish off.

Was a bit of a nervous drive out to stage 1's time control. Its a good thing the car is under powered, I couldn't get into much trouble going up the hill. Headed down was a bit of a thing. Set up a R4 off camber wrong and ended up hanging my side of the car in the scrub. Spent the rest of the night getting used to hearing notes and what exactly 3s, 4s, 5s, and 6s looked/felt like. The dust on stage 5 and 7 was crazy thick.

Saturday was a bit better, had more confidence in the car and felt better about traction and corners and all, but man was I beat from Friday. Had a lapse in concentration on stage 1 and missed the call for a L4?something into a R3. Locked up the fronts, plowed straight off and slid up a burm. Stuffed it into first and managed to drive it back on stage without much issue. Car was making some rubbing noises for the half mile or so to the finish. Found the driver's fender liner had been shoved back into the tire. Pulled it out and tucked it back into place after the finish time control and headed off to the next stage. Not sure if I had broken anything else, I took it pretty easy and finished 44 seconds over bogey. Had a ten minute service to check the car over and patch up a bunch of holes in the chassis where dust was comming through. Ran the rest of the stages at a happy pace, fast enough to have fun but not so fast as to not drive it home. Glanced down at the speedo on one of the longer straights and we were doin' about 70. Swapped back to street tires before heading back to Fernley for the finish party where I found out we took 2nd in the Subaru All Wheels Driven ... class ... cup ... thing. Still trying to figure that one out, having a bit of a time digging up info online about it.

I'm absolutely thrilled with how well the car did with how its set up. Still on street coilovers with not a whole lot of travel. 110 wheel hp, 105 wheel tq. 50/50 power split off the start of the first stage of the day, diminishing to most likely 90/10 if not worse with every passing mile. Blued the rotors a bit though.

The rotor hat is painted black, btw. Really pleased with the brake setup for what it is. Stock VTEC trim master cyl, one line running to the front, one line running to a bias valve before a hydro hand brake to the rears. Hawk Blue pads and power slot rotors. Felt firm and predictable, didn't notice any fade.

Thanks again to Alex for helping me get my spares and gear to the rally. I owe you a few!
Thanks to Michel for loaning me his gear, wouldn't have been out there otherwise!

A good friend from the del Sol club came out to work and had his phone handy when I came through:
http://qik.com/video/41994009

Last edited by RallySol; 03-26-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Trial User

Damn your car is legit... Stumbled on this thread from a google search.

Been thinking about my next project. Ive already done a 94 civic si, all motor. reworked d16z6. Started that project about 12 years ago. Finished and sold it about 5 years ago. Started my 01 pathfinder LE on bags, wanted it super clean nothing showing. Got a 10 switch playstation controller in my armrest that I put away when Im not messing around with the bags. Still driving that, getting all the lines and fittings replaced soon. Starting to get little leaks and annoyances. Been in for about 4 years so thats kinda expected.

Anyways about my project, been thinking about the logistics of an awd 4 door 96-00 civic. This has been going on in my head for the last couple of months and the only thing I couldnt get past was the rear hubs, Ive had a couple awd subarus for my winter cars while I had my pathfinder and did a rear disc swap on my 97 impreza L. So Ive seen and worked with an AWD setup but couldnt figure out how to get the rear axle through the rear hub. So what do you know I walked out of my house the other day and there was one of the old school civic wagons and it hit me. They came in an awd drive setup.

So I google search to see if I can get some pictures of the rear hub setup of an old school civic wagon to see the similarities between the rear control arms of the civic wagon and a 4 door civic and this thread pops up.

Sorry for the long rant but Im kinda excited to find this thread with a plethora of info and excellent pics. Definatly bookmarked and will use as a reference when I work on this project. Great to see RallySol is still active in this thread. Just fantastic. GREAT WORK. LOVE THE DELSOL.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by reeg420
Damn your car is legit... Stumbled on this thread from a google search.

Been thinking about my next project. Ive already done a 94 civic si, all motor. reworked d16z6. Started that project about 12 years ago. Finished and sold it about 5 years ago. Started my 01 pathfinder LE on bags, wanted it super clean nothing showing. Got a 10 switch playstation controller in my armrest that I put away when Im not messing around with the bags. Still driving that, getting all the lines and fittings replaced soon. Starting to get little leaks and annoyances. Been in for about 4 years so thats kinda expected.

Anyways about my project, been thinking about the logistics of an awd 4 door 96-00 civic. This has been going on in my head for the last couple of months and the only thing I couldnt get past was the rear hubs, Ive had a couple awd subarus for my winter cars while I had my pathfinder and did a rear disc swap on my 97 impreza L. So Ive seen and worked with an AWD setup but couldnt figure out how to get the rear axle through the rear hub. So what do you know I walked out of my house the other day and there was one of the old school civic wagons and it hit me. They came in an awd drive setup.

So I google search to see if I can get some pictures of the rear hub setup of an old school civic wagon to see the similarities between the rear control arms of the civic wagon and a 4 door civic and this thread pops up.

Sorry for the long rant but Im kinda excited to find this thread with a plethora of info and excellent pics. Definatly bookmarked and will use as a reference when I work on this project. Great to see RallySol is still active in this thread. Just fantastic. GREAT WORK. LOVE THE DELSOL.
That's what its here for Good luck with your build!

Been doing a bit of thinking about NNR and what bits I have laying around. I've put off the motor for too long, the car needs more power and it needs it yesterday. So I get to thinking about what I've got stashed away here and there. There's the PR3 head and GSR intake I've been poking around at in the garage. Over in storage I have a spare motor; a B18B with PR3 pistons and a block gaurd (I didn't do it, bought it that way). 180-ish NA ponies maybe? Hell, even 160 would be 40 more than I have now. Pull the B20B and put it aside to sleeve and boost later.

*edit* Hmm, seems I'm mistaken. Its a B18A1 I have... wonder how different the bottom end is to the B18B...

Last edited by RallySol; 07-22-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn,, I have to give you credit to an incredible build, i found this threads as I am doing research for my next project.

great job
Old 07-26-2011, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is an incredible build. mad props to you!

i haven't read all the pages yet, but did you by chance happen to keep pictures as you went thru the cutting and fabrication process? did you keep measurements or anything else? i was thinking of doing this and stumbled on your thread. any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: read all the pages and found out minimal sharing. gotcha. still a sick project. i'm jealous

Last edited by barrett_5; 07-26-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks and good luck with your projects!

Originally Posted by barrett_5
read all the pages and found out minimal sharing
I'm not sure what thread you read, nor what measurements you're looking for. All the fabrication is very straight forward, there is no guess work. All the components are already located where they need to be save for the rear diff, dictated by the propeller and axle shafts, and the rear cross member which is dictated by the rear lower control arms.

This thread is about showing that it is possible, which parts are available, which parts are compatible, and what you can expect for reliability and maintenance long term.

If you want specifics handed to you, you can drop your car off and a couple grand with me and I'll handle it. You can measure everything after its done.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just finished reading the entire thread. started mid july. Iv always hated del sols for being fwd but this is one hell of a car. keep up the good work.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RallySol
Maybe good news for those looking to go K awd using the wagon rear end, Majestic shows that the 08 Element and the 00 CRV share what they call "CARRIER SUB-ASSY., RR. DIFFERENTIAL". The part numbers listed, 41010-P6R-345, are the same.

That would be #3
That's fine but, my only question (at this moment) is the location of the transfer case on the k-series.

Because this is what I'm wanting to do. If I have to route the driveshaft and exhaust opposite from how it's run on the wagons and your car, the wagon cv shafts aren't going to work do to the fact the the rear differential is going to be located more towards the left side of the vehicle. I've already got the wagon rear diff and trailing arms. I'm working on getting a driveshaft, but not sure if I should get the wagon rear cv axles or not.

PS: Your Sol is looking pretty nice, especially since it's a one off vehicle. :up:
Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by moebiius
that is really nice!!!! any build threads on this wagovan? please share!!!
x2 I'd like to know as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went from a del sol to a Subaru WRX. Looking back on it now, though... If I could have had my del sol as AWD, I might have never gotten rid of it lol.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am about to buy a 97 del sol that i'm wanting to do the awd conversion to, I live in Alabama where we have plenty of junkyards available. I have read through about 11 pages of yalls posts but what im concerned about is I know the del sol has a decent sized tunnel but do you have to make it larger for the awd set up?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have also heard of people around here using newer mustang rear-ends to handle more power since they are independant suspension im gonna research that a little bit more though
Old 08-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Who has a pair of 88-91 AWD wago rear trailing arms??!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is just pure awesomeness I actually went tru all 29 pages. I just recently purchased a Sol so i am new to this little car and have so many questions to ask about it. but ill take em to PM some time
Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 88ED8
Who has a pair of 88-91 AWD wago rear trailing arms??!
I do, I do!

Name:  tarmtwo.jpg
Views: 4694
Size:  13.1 KB

Thanks for documenting the build RallySol. Its a huge inspiration to people who want to be a little bit more ambitious.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAFDARK
I do, I do!

Nice, for sale? I need two (2) pairs of wago trailing arms to put in two CRXs we working on over here in the shop!
Having a hard time sourcing AWD Wago traing arms.

Quick Reply: AWD CRX del Sol - CRV driveline swap