Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic B Series EK (not 56k friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic B Series EK (not 56k friendly)

So when we undertook this swap we had no idea what we were in for. Unfortunately we completely under quoted for the work, at $500 for labor. Total hours spent were around 60.
The car was a 99 EK hatch, the engine was an interesting combination: It was an obd I ecu with an OBD II dizzy, However the entire engine combo was OBD I. The Ecu was a 4 Plug, Unlike the US spec automatic systems the JDM GSR Autos utilize the TCM inside the ECU. Upon Looking for a pin out for that ecu, I obviously wasn't able to find one. So we had to Plug all the harnesses together to the ecu and Reverse engineer the wiring system.
After finishing the wiring problems we had to install the engine. To make it fit we used the Manual Transmission 99 SI T bracket modified to fit the automatic. Part of the passenger side frame had to be trimmed so the transmission could sit in its proper place and a motor mount bracket had to be made from scratch on top of the transmission.
One of the biggest problems that was encountered was for a cable coming out of the transmission. the company that we bought the swap from had already sold the motor from the car they pulled the setup from so they mated it with a manual engine. The cable from the transmission connected to the wheel on the throttle body cam. Since it was a manual engine/throttle body there was to place to recieve this cable so I (quite ignorantly) assumed this was for cruise controll (I know bad assumption). After 1 burnt transmission I had to make a custom wheel, becuase the orientation was different than an LS auto.
Finally the Whole ordeal was completed, and other the driver we haven't had any problems. LOL J/K (not really).
Before you start ragging, yes, I know its pointless. And I dont want to go into why the customer did the auto. I just thought I'd post that it has been done. here are pics and vids. Sorry for the poor spelling, grammar, etc. but I'm feeling lazy.

The Victim:

The Guts:

I unfortunately don't have any pics of the wiring process on this computer, but to give you an Idea of what it was like. draw on a piece of paper a box and a crude engine then let a 2 year old draw on the paper with the pen.

The Install:

The in?:

The Mount:

Its Still an AUTO :

The videos:

Let your comments fly.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol
Old 06-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic B Series EK (sevndaythry)

nobody has any comments, damn.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** looks good. me and a friend did a jdm gsr auto swap on my old eg two years ago.. i ran 15.3 with it..
Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Automatic B Series EK (autox228)

I'll admit the auto is gay and takes away from the fun factor... but that's still a lot of work and in the end, pretty awesome... It's kind of like when my buddies argue to me that the auto Supra is faster than the manual. But then they all get quiet when I ask them which they would rather have, the auto or manual...
Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like a fun daily driver. A surprising sleeper, WITHOUT all the rice.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Automatic B Series EK (beelzebub)

Nice job. I have an auto EG and a manual DA. I like both transmission layouts. They each have their benefits and drawbacks depending on what your application is. If you want a fun daily driver, then don't knock a small turbo automatic until you've tried it. Personally I think the EG is the best choice if you want an auto because it gives you full control 1, 2, 3, 4. I've heard similar things about fitting an auto tranny into the EG chassis with having to notch out the engine bay.

If you're using an OBD1 computer than by far your best option is to use a DA auto tranny because it's not (fully) electronically controlled. I got myself a JDM B16 tranny and had it rebuilt by a good friend who was going to school at the time, but later decided that staying with a D series motor would better suit my modest application (max 200whp on a daily driver). Much cheaper and less complicated with better mileage to boot.

I encourage you to go into more detail and maybe scan that diagram just for the sake of the archives here. Sure, auto is not everyone's cup of tea. But really you can never second guess someone else's priorities.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM

lol
Old 08-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic B Series EK (not 56k friendly)

Obd2a ek auto with b18b1 auto what computer do.i use. The car has 4 plug the integra auto ecu has 3