Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto tranny upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto tranny upgrade?

Just a question for those of you that feel inclined to answer...don't be afraid
I just came across a guy who just did an engine transpant into his crx...a JDM 99-00 civic SiR engine...it came with an auto tranny...well he put the engine in just lately so the tranny is sitting on the garage floor...it's mine for 150 canadian. From what I hear the gearing is shorter...means a higher rpm at highway speed(wonder if it is that much higher~right now 3200rpm)...but faster shifts...ie faster car
I can get the install done for free so that is not a problem. I may just also get a level ten shift kit installed in it(have to pay for that) and possibly get a new torque convertor with a higher stall...

so there is my story....please comment...is this in my best interest? Just want to be a bit faster that's all and try and compete with those pesky 5spd's... or at least be not far behind my brothers

Old 05-14-2002, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto tranny upgrade? (Space Boy)

Sell your car and buy a manual.
j/k Thats what I did though.

Actually, when I had the auto I also considered a torque converter with a higher stall. Shorter gearing in the tranny will give you better acceleration though, regardless of anything else you do. I say go for it.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto tranny upgrade? (B16CRX)

I do think I am going to do it, just have to make sure everything will be cool on the install...pretty sure it's just a bolt on thing...no modification needed? Like will everything fit...ie axles and stuff...I don't want to try and do and realize that I have to mod things...I want to be ready
Old 05-15-2002, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto tranny upgrade? (Space Boy)

Uh, I didn't know automatics had shorter gearings that their 5-speed manual counterparts? I thought all Honda AT's are 4-speed? That would dictate longer gearings... Anyone?