Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto EWH into manual car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto EWH into manual car?

I searched, and posted in the tuck thread, with no results. I picked up an extra engine harness for a pretty good price to do a tuck on, turns out that it's an auto harness. The car is a 96 (OBD2A) dx manual. I'm wondering if I will be able to:

1) Plug the harness into my car, the green plug at the ecu side, and the gray end plug that goes to the gauges/interior harness, and run my car with no problems?

2) Can I simply depin/cut out all unnecessary plugs associated with an auto (as I won't be needing them) essentially turning the harness into a manual? Or are the auto plugs pinning into important things that will cause something not to work right?

I realize that an auto harness has a fourth ecu plug, which is the main difference but if this is left unplugged, an auto harness can run a manual ecu in an auto chassis (auto to manual conversions) so I'm wondering if an auto harness can work in a manual chassis. If anyone has any experience with this, the help would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Auto EWH into manual car?

yes you can, the extra plug doesn't need to be used. the main difference will be the three wire iacv, where you will need to do the 2wire iacv conversion. i believe that's only on the dx model because the ex uses 2wire but i may be wrong. i have an auto harness in my 96 ek now with no problem. only difference was the iacv and the reverse lights. and well, since my engine is obd1 i had to swap the dizzy plug, alternator plug, and injector plugs. other than that it's perfect, no check engine lights.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, thanks for the reply man. So did you choose to keep the auto plugs apart of the harness or did you delete them? I'm thinking about deleting them. Also, your dx is a manual chassis correct? I was already aware that I would need to switch to a two wire IACH, however I didn't actually think about the reverse lights being different. The plug on my auto harness for the reverse lights plugs into the switch on the tranny fine, but I'll have to actually look and see if there are the same amount of wires/if they line up. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shimakid12
Nice, thanks for the reply man. So did you choose to keep the auto plugs apart of the harness or did you delete them? I'm thinking about deleting them. Also, your dx is a manual chassis correct? I was already aware that I would need to switch to a two wire IACH, however I didn't actually think about the reverse lights being different. The plug on my auto harness for the reverse lights plugs into the switch on the tranny fine, but I'll have to actually look and see if there are the same amount of wires/if they line up. Thanks.
yea my chassis is a dx coupe manual without powersteering and ac, although i added AC. I removed the wiring for the automatic transmission. I didn't see a reverse plug on the ewh because i thought it that worked from the automatic shifter. i also went with an obd1 jumper harness, but i think an obd2 ecu would have worked but thrown codes because i didn't have a crank sensor and some other obd2 sensors on this engine.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by perseverance
yea my chassis is a dx coupe manual without powersteering and ac, although i added AC. I removed the wiring for the automatic transmission. I didn't see a reverse plug on the ewh because i thought it that worked from the automatic shifter. i also went with an obd1 jumper harness, but i think an obd2 ecu would have worked but thrown codes because i didn't have a crank sensor and some other obd2 sensors on this engine.
Interesting, and reassuring. I guess I'm going to start de-pinning the auto affliated plugs from the harness as they aren't needed. I may be wrong, and I'm going to have to double check, but I could have sworn that I took the reverse switch plug from the auto harness and plugged it into my tranny to make sure that it snapped in. What you're saying makes sense though (it recieving a signal off of the shifter). It's been a long time so it may of been the wrong harness I'm thinking of. Oh well, either way you've been super helpful.