Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon

He had interesting things to say about Frankenstein motors. Anyone see it? I can scan it tonite and post it on the board if you haven't. He makes some interesting points of why not to do it that I have never heard address'd anywhere when doing a CRV/LS Vtec.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (Apex i ITR)

post it
Old 07-22-2002, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (Freakn8)

post it
Old 07-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (Apex i ITR)

He had interesting things to say about Frankenstein motors. Anyone see it? I can scan it tonite and post it on the board if you haven't. He makes some interesting points of why not to do it that I have never heard address'd anywhere when doing a CRV/LS Vtec.
yep, read it.
hehe, he's a cool kat.

He explains how the LS/B20 vtec hype is growing in Japan. His point about it, is why do people want to use such a shitty crank (ie LS/B20 cranks). I mean it's obvious stuff he's talking about, those blocks aren't meant to rev higher than 8500..if that...without something going bad after a certain amount of use/abuse. Vibrations occur in higher rpms with the LS/B20 crank which doesn;t happen in DOHC VTEC cranks...especially Type-R cranks since they're counter weight balanced...
Old 07-22-2002, 06:00 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (Katman)

Alot of us have been saying this for quite some time. Now that "Mr. Spoon" says it maybe the LS/CRVtec proponents will wake up...

[Modified by JV, 10:01 PM 7/22/2002]
Old 07-22-2002, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (JV)

Alot of us have been saying this for quite some time. Now that "Mr. Spoon" says it maybe the LS/CRVtec proponents will wake up...

[Modified by JV, 10:01 PM 7/22/2002]
lol
Old 07-23-2002, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (Katman)

hahaha, I was going to make this same post... Not that i think Mr.Spoon is god or anything, but he does have alot
of intresting things to say. Even in one of the best motoring videos.

Old 07-23-2002, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (GONG SHOW)

He also said that the vibration comes from the sleeves as well on the B20 and B18. I'll scan it tonite guys sorry (Storm knocked the power out.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, i went to there site and searched for it. Got to lazy and gave up on the search, If i had a scanner here at work I could have scanned it too. But if you dont get to it, i can also try to get it scanned tonight.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (GONG SHOW)

I'll do it tonite. I don't think he's god but he is one the premier Honda engine builders straight from the motherland of Honda so I would think he has something valid to say on the issue. Wonder why some of the frankenstein guys haven't responded yet?

[Modified by Apex i ITR, 2:43 PM 7/23/2002]
Old 07-23-2002, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an LSVtec guy>>>I'm interested in seeing that posted

[Modified by SLPR, 2:30 PM 7/23/2002]
Old 07-23-2002, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha, I was going to make this same post... Not that i think Mr.Spoon is god or anything, but he does have alot
of intresting things to say. Even in one of the best motoring videos.

..heh, actually if you think about it, he IS an Automotive god. Look at the billions of people wanting Spoon products. He knows whats up though People shouldn't down play that. I'm sure if we all could understand the Japanese language, we could learn a bit or two of what he has to say in his Spoon videos..

[Modified by Katman, 3:36 PM 7/23/2002]
Old 07-23-2002, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the article.

Have to post a link because image station sux http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9.jpg.orig.jpg
Enjoy. Let the debate begin.

[Modified by Apex i ITR, 6:53 PM 7/23/2002]

[Modified by Apex i ITR, 1:36 PM 7/24/2002]

[Modified by Apex i ITR, 1:37 PM 7/24/2002]
Old 07-23-2002, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Katman I mean I know he's respected but you haveto take what a lot of manuf. say with a grain of salt because they are still business men above all else. I do agree he is probably one of the few on this planet that know everything about Honda motors (In particular the b-series motor.)
Old 07-23-2002, 06:02 PM
JV
Who?

Get rid of the .org.jpg at the end.....

Can't see it.....

[Modified by JV, 10:02 PM 7/23/2002]
Old 07-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (JV)

Here ya go...still cant reat it tho
Old 07-23-2002, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

..heh, actually if you think about it, he IS an Automotive god. Look at the billions of people wanting Spoon products. He knows whats up though People shouldn't down play that. I'm sure if we all could understand the Japanese language, we could learn a bit or two of what he has to say in his Spoon videos..

[Modified by Katman, 3:36 PM 7/23/2002]
Very true, I think i would rather build a straight LS or B20 motor with out the vtec and only rev to 7500. I feel these motors have enough torque that they dont need to have the **** revved out of them.

But also, are people really wanting spoon parts for the true purpose or just bragging rights? Some kid at the local hang out as asking me about motors and he goes and says something about wanting either a ITR or Spoon motor. I asked him if he new anything about a Spoon motor and why he wanted it?

He tells me no, but i just kept my cool and tried to help him out.. He was young, so I felt if he had help getting on the right track he would be ok...
Old 07-23-2002, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heh word..
Old 07-23-2002, 10:00 PM
New User

I can barely see that scan, so if the answer is in there, fack off. But my question is- what is the difference between a C4 and C5? We've got the C5 R motor, but he talks about like "It's alright, but the C4 is a bad muthafucka". I'm guessing it's a similar R motor, but with subtle differences. Any takers? Katman?
Old 07-24-2002, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (gutted spec)

he is talking about putting a b20 crank in a b18c motor...does that constitute a b20vtec? wouldn't that just mean you have a b18c with a longer stroke?

[Modified by Jeff C, 7:53 AM 7/24/2002]
Old 07-24-2002, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (Jeff C)

He is talking about using the block of a B20 Motor.

Can you guys see it now?
Imagestation sux. I have a close up view of it and it works for a while but then the link just seems to not owrk after a while. I give up.

[Modified by Apex i ITR, 9:47 AM 7/24/2002]
Old 07-24-2002, 05:44 AM
New User

they should put a harmonic balancer on the b-sers engine to cancel out some of the vibration.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:16 AM

is not being able to rev frankenstiens very high news to everyone?

this is not something new(well, Mr. Spoon himself discussing it is but the issue has been debated time and time again).

if a frankenstien is built right and revved modderatly then it will last. there is no reason to be a stunna and try to rev to 9K rpm.

ITR cams are probably the best cams for a franky set-up. Big cams such as toda Bs which peak around 9K rpm are not exactly the best for this type of set-up.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (T.O.tegs)

I guess for me it comes down to this. Why do a frankenstein instead of boring a vtec 1,8 block out to 2.0 . Would that not be a safer setup especially in terms of longevity. And then you can take advantage of a bigger/higher lift/Duration cam.

This isn't news to any of us I just see more and more frankenstein motors or people about to build one and everytime I say it would make more snese to build a B18C block I get flamed like hell for that.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon (Jeff C)

he is talking about putting a b20 crank in a b18c motor...does that constitute a b20vtec? wouldn't that just mean you have a b18c with a longer stroke?

[Modified by Jeff C, 7:53 AM 7/24/2002]
Stroking a B motor was discussed in stoopid street awhile back. I cant remeber if they talked to MR.Spoon or Mr.JUN, but they was against stroking the motor... It was the issue that had the Red SI built by JUN with steph on the cover, and also had Lee's hatch in the issue. The all-mota issue it was called.

Quick Reply: Anyone see the article in Import Tuner with the interview with Mr. Spoon