Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to make my F22 Civic vibrate less?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to make my F22 Civic vibrate less?

My setup:
-EJ2 Civic
-F22A engine/transaxle
-Generic h22 mounts (ebay)
-I cut off the automatic transmission mount bracket, and welded a manual bracket
-Filled the ebay mounts with 80A urethane

My idle is 950rpm and at idle it is fine, but when I am driving it is VERY noisy inside.
I took off the engine mounts and did some grinding making sure the mounts do not touch the mount brackets.... but it made very little difference... still very noisy inside when I am driving.

Does anybody else have this problem? And is there anything I can do to reduce the noise?

I've thought about either drilling out the 80A urethane out of my mounts and filling them with something slightly softer (window-weld?) but I am not sure if this will make a difference. I also thought about saving up for Hasport mounts but I also don't have any idea if they will vibrate less.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any way to make my F22 Civic vibrate less?

I'll put my money on the mounts. They're way too rigid.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, it's the mounts, but what can I do to make it a little less noisy?
should i save up for the hasport mounts? or should i just fill these mounts with something softer than 80A?....or will it vibrate like crazy no matter what I do?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

You'll have to do something drastic either way. I don't think it'd be smart to tear them up and re-fill them with a softer urethane. You may need to replace them with new/used ones a bit softer.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your positive its the mounts, then save for some good quality mounts with the street urethane. its like 60a or 65a depending on which brand u go with..

stiff mounts = vibration. not noise so much...

2 very different things..
Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kp
You'll have to do something drastic either way. I don't think it'd be smart to tear them up and re-fill them with a softer urethane. You may need to replace them with new/used ones a bit softer.
yea you are right. i also thought about getting a new set of generic mounts and just leaving the rubber that they come with (it is pretty soft)

Originally Posted by hondaZvic
if your positive its the mounts, then save for some good quality mounts with the street urethane. its like 60a or 65a depending on which brand u go with..

stiff mounts = vibration. not noise so much...

2 very different things..
well i don't really know what else could cause so much noise besides the mounts? my exhaust is pretty quiet, i have full interior but i did get rid of the sound deadening tar.

there is definitely both: vibration AND noise (LOTS)
Old 05-07-2009, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it a constant noise? or only at idle? during acceleration or just cruising down the highway?

what about the vibration? is it the same as the noise? at idle acceleration or cruising??
Old 05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could get a urethane or rubber suspension bushing and slice it (like you would if chopping a carrot or cucumber) and basically end up with loadsa rubber/urethane washers. Then just place them inbetween every mating surface on the mounts. Of course it would mean removing the mounts one by one and propping the engine up with a jack. It might not work but its cheap and worth a try.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaZvic
is it a constant noise? or only at idle? during acceleration or just cruising down the highway?

what about the vibration? is it the same as the noise? at idle acceleration or cruising??
when the engine is idling ~950rpm or lower, everything is really quiet (there is some vibration but it is VERY quiet)

but when engine is cold and idles 1500-1700rpm, it is really noisy in the car. it sounds like I am sitting IN the engine bay right next to the engine.

when i am driving the car it is always very noisy. it sounds almost like there is no firewall and like the exhaust pipe goes through the cabin. (but my exhaust is actually quiet)

and when I am getting close to 7000rpm it feels like I am sitting on top of the engine!

the only times when it isn't crazy loud is when I am cruising around 2000rpm in 5th gear

i love driving the car and drive it almost everyday but the noise gets really annoying

Originally Posted by djnikko
You could get a urethane or rubber suspension bushing and slice it (like you would if chopping a carrot or cucumber) and basically end up with loadsa rubber/urethane washers. Then just place them inbetween every mating surface on the mounts. Of course it would mean removing the mounts one by one and propping the engine up with a jack. It might not work but its cheap and worth a try.
i recently took off all mounts and did some grinding. i basically looked at some stock Honda mounts and made my aftermarket mounts look like that, making sure the main base part of the mount is at least .5" away from the mount brackets in the engine bay. sorry, i hope this doesn't sound too confusing.
but what i did made very little difference, so i am thinking that the urethane in the mounts is too hard OR all Civics with F/H swaps vibrate like this?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that the transmission mount could be the main reason for all the vibration because it is so small in diameter. The reason why they make them so small is because there isn't enough room in an F/H Civic for a regular size mount on the transmission side.

So I've been thinking about making a custom transmission mount. First I would have to relocate the mount bracket. Either make it ~5" higher which would allow using a bigger mount... and I could probably even use a stock Honda mount but it would have to be modified of course. OR I also thought about making a custom bracket that will bolt to the transmission and custom dual transmission mounts that will also be stock Honda mounts - one behind the tranny and one right in front.

And after making a custom tranny mount, I would also change the rear and drivers side mount for noname mounts that come with soft rubber.
I think all that SHOULD eliminate a lot of the vibration but making a custom tranny mount is going to be a lot of work...

any thoughts on this?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:10 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Did you rebuild this motor in any way before you installed it? Is it running correctly?

I'm just now starting to think slightly outside the box of this thread. If you did rebuild it...is your rotating assembly balanced? Do you have any misfires? Is your ignition timing set up correctly?

If you had an off-balance crank/rod/piston assembly, it would cause a constant vibration. If you had misfires you would feel some vibration and maybe noise as well, but you'd also feel a lack of power and a weak idle. And if your ignition was slightly off, it could also cause some unwanted vibration.

Just throwing it out there.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kp
Did you rebuild this motor in any way before you installed it? Is it running correctly?

I'm just now starting to think slightly outside the box of this thread. If you did rebuild it...is your rotating assembly balanced? Do you have any misfires? Is your ignition timing set up correctly?

If you had an off-balance crank/rod/piston assembly, it would cause a constant vibration. If you had misfires you would feel some vibration and maybe noise as well, but you'd also feel a lack of power and a weak idle. And if your ignition was slightly off, it could also cause some unwanted vibration.

Just throwing it out there.
yes the engine is definitely running correctly. I had an H22 in the car last year and it made the same exact noise/vibration.

anyway, I made a custom mount for the drivers side today. I used an Accord mount filled with some soft urethane.
I basically took the aftermarket mount i had and cut it in half and then welded the accord mount to it.

honestly I wasn't expecting to notice anything after doing just one mount because I know most of the vibration is PROBABLY caused by the transmission side mount.... I basically did drivers side mount first because it was very easy to get to...

so I put this mount in the car just 20min ago and drove it.... WOW it made a HUGE difference, HALF of the vibration is gone. I cannot wait to change the other mount to stock Accord mounts!
Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So let me get this straight.....

You took the sound deadening material out of the car and you're complaining about the added noise? Hmmm...... is this a joke?
Old 05-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ShLude
So let me get this straight.....

You took the sound deadening material out of the car and you're complaining about the added noise? Hmmm...... is this a joke?
why would this be a joke?

removing the sound deadening material adds very little noise that isn't even noticeable at all (i did it because it is 22lbs of dead weight, yes it is actually 22.0lbs)
it is NOT comparable to the noise that I was describing that was caused by the crappy mounts.

the noise was so bad that if felt like i was sitting in the engine bay right next to the engine and the exhaust was right next to my ear. the little noise that is caused by removing the sound deadening is NOWHERE NEAR this

fortunately i realized that i can fix it by making custom mounts using accord mounts
Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just a random thought..are you still using the balancer shafts of the engine?