Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any of u guys insure your hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 08:53 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any of u guys insure your hybrid?

i'm just wondering.... because down here in so. cali... honda stuff is hot... and i'm debating on doing my ITR into EK hybrid... solely because of insurance problems... i don't wanna throw everything into the EK hatch and have it stolen and only get paid 6-7k for it...

how would i get evrything insured.... also... what do i tell them? would they need reciepts? (i don't have any becasue its coming from my wrecked ITR)

thanks
Old 08-27-2001, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (type rizzy)

usually all the insurance companies require are the reciepts. I wouldn't let them know about the motor when you insure the car. Sometimes that doesn't go over that well with them.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:22 PM
New User

Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (fowler)

what do you mean it doesn't go over well? As in they won't insure the car? or they won't pay for it or replace it if it were to get stolen?

after my accident... i really wanna make sure that everything is insured... becasue if it gets stolen or i get into another wreck... i want my car's value...
Old 08-28-2001, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fowler? Do you understand his question? He wants to insure the motor so he doesn't get screwed if his car is stolen. The hatch itself may only be worth 7-8k, but with the motor that figure goes UP alot!

I think what he means by it doesn't go over well is the company is going to look at you as being a higher risk. You know, how a GSR costs more to insure than a LS because it is faster and sportier. Your car is going to be faster and they may take that into account. That is why I have been told not to notify insurance companies of a motor swap.

If the motor is bolted into your car(which of course it is) they will have to cover it. My friend had a system and he was told as long as it was bolted or physically connected to the car, the insurance company would cover its theft.

If I were you I would just get pictures of the engine in your car, and keep your recipts. Don't tell the insurance company anything unless your car gets stolen. Then if it happens you can show them the recipts and pictures. They will have to cover the engine then. This route will save you higher insurance premiums every 6 months.
Old 08-28-2001, 12:44 PM
New User

Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (HXMan)

HXman... thanks for the info...

my insurance company is AAA (i dunno if you're heard of it where you're from)... now are you sure that as long as it's bolted into the car itself... insurance companies have to cover it? and i mean HAVE TO?! are you sure this goes for all insurance companies? My insurance company is a BIG NAME company... i don't know if that matters or not?
Old 08-28-2001, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AAA sucks, my friend's 90 integra was stolen, it had a 95 GSR motor swap, wings west kit, system, bolt ons, skunk2 coilovers and tokico illumina's etc...and all they would give him was $7k, they are sheisty, luckily he got them to pay him $10k...so now he has a WRX.
Old 08-28-2001, 03:52 PM
New User

Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (richierich)

and he didn't tell the insurance company about the swap right?

well my insurance company actually paid me close to 22k for my 97typeR with JDM front... not bad at all...
Old 08-28-2001, 04:04 PM

the insurance company will insure anything to squuuuuueeeeeeezzzzzeeeee more dough out yo pocket. provided you have the receipts, they will pay only a certain amount for that motor. call em up and ask them how much more will you insurance be if you have a $5500 motor in your car. dont have a heart attack when they tell you.....
Old 08-29-2001, 12:37 AM
koy
New User

i have state farm and my agent told me whatever has to be on a car for it to function---i.e wheels,engine,seats,etc.---is covered but keep receipts for your upgrade mods. my friend has state farm, his '97 itr was stolen 9 months ago and he finally just received his reimbursement(invested like $50k including car and got like $34). but they put him through the ringer, investigating him,friends...
Old 08-29-2001, 07:01 AM
New User

Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (koy)

I have Geico and the rep I spoke too is in the imprt scene himself. I told him to insure $15K worth of performance parts. He said to have pics of everything you have upgraded or replaced and keep all receipts. I pay about $100 a month for a 93 civ hb with a 00' gsr motor.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:12 AM
New User

Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (Guardson3r3)

damn... i dunno then... i'm thinking of just buying an mr2 turbo...
things are hot here in cali... I don't wanna dump everything into a hatch only to get 7k back if it were to get stolen... at the same time.... i don't wanna pay high insurance premiums..

Right now i'm hearing to sides... one saying that insurance must cover anything that was physically bolted to the car (b18c5, seats, etc..)

and the other is saying that insurance will just cover what's necessary to function (d16z, ugly cloth seats, etc..)

which is it?
Old 08-29-2001, 04:30 PM
koy
New User

both sides are actually saying the same thing...
if---let's hope not---your seats and motor got jacked, insurance would first say to replace with factory stock parts. but if you have pix and receipts of upgrades like jdm recaros and b18c5 motor then they will cover. however, these upgraded parts are likely to get depreciated down so you might get like 60-65% of what you paid for it when you bought it. and remember the scrutiny that insurance places--- i think unfairly---on us. they think we're scamming them

[Modified by koy, 5:33 PM 8/29/2001]
Old 08-29-2001, 09:35 PM
New User

Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (koy)

i guess that's not too bad.... and this is WITHOUT letting insurance know about it until (and hopefully not) it gets jacked or wrecked right?
Old 08-30-2001, 10:55 PM

I understood the question, I'm just saying that when you register your car with the insurance company, don't let them know about the motor. If it is in a wreck, consider the motorswap the same as a bolt on. Something that they can replace, that's why you need pictures and reciepts.

When my friend went turbo, he went to register it with his insurance (AAA). The guy there told them that he really shouldn't even tell them because he can get screwed with his deductible and other stuff like that. Just take pictures and hold on to the reciept so that you would get reimbursed if you have an accident.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:51 AM
New User

Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (fowler)

okay cool... how would i do this if i don't have a reciept? Because the motor is coming off of my wrecked ITR... i can't give myself a reciept!!!
Old 08-31-2001, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take lots of pictures of your car and keep any receipts that you get for your car. All the way down to headlight bulbs or clear corners. When my insurance company paided me out the amount was based on what the makert value for my car was, not how much I put into it. They start by finding what you could get for a stock car like yours and then add in all the performance stuff. Take pictures of your block so they can see the block #. If your car ever gets stolen they'll use the block # to track it down. I got lucky because my car was in a magazine and they took pictures of everything including the suspension and brakes.
Old 08-31-2001, 02:46 PM
New User

Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (97TypeR_9)

alright.... but i won't have a reciept for my stuff since it's getting transferred into a hatch from MY wrecked ITR..

also... would this be the same if i buy a hatch with all ITR stuff in it? (i'm considering it to save me time)
Old 08-31-2001, 09:42 PM
New User

i guess keep the receipts for the swap, so that maybe, the insurance co. will look into how much the motor is by itself, and pay u for the labor and some of the original cost of the motor.
if they are that nice and eager to pay what's rightfully yours.

my 2 cents.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:49 PM
New User

Default Re: any of u guys insure your hybrid? (def jux)

aww man... thats gonna be another problem.... i'm planning on doing the swap myself with the help of some friends...
Old 08-31-2001, 10:54 PM
New User

hmm...thats a tuffy then. just leave the car in the garage with heavy padlocks and never plan on taking it out if ur gonna park in public.---better yet, dont put any intake or exhaust..just keep the stock exhaust and airbox.
people wont know what u have under the hood by the way it sounds with stock. sounds like any other motor, no? until high rpms.
paint the head black too..fool em without the red.
keep it super stealth and sleeper.

what color is the hb btw?
Old 08-31-2001, 11:33 PM
New User

well... i haven't quite picked out the HB yet (still contemplating on that mr2 turbo) and plus... the type R rims and 5 lug conversion mught give things away...
Old 09-01-2001, 12:12 AM
New User

i got the maximum 4k accessory add on option....meant for stereo, rims ect... i just told them i wanted my engine covered too and told them to take pictures.

reciepts play a big part on actuall reimbursement in most cases.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:21 AM
New User

dont do the conversion....just keep the stock hubs on, and sell the itr rims and breaks. u'll make enough money from that sale to get some cross drilled slotted for the front.
drums are fine in the back.
Old 09-02-2001, 09:13 AM
New User

my cousin has cross-drilled rotors up front (stock calipers) it didn't really help too too much...

anyway... you odn't think i should do the full conversion?? Isn't that part of the reason why the EK type R would be so nice?

Also, both of my mounts are broken... so that means i'd have to buy new mounts.

And i'm having the hardest time of deciding whether i should buy the mr2 turbo (JDM spec) or go through with this swap. Someone help?
Old 09-02-2001, 09:36 AM
New User

but u wanna keep the low-key status, so by keeping a real stock civic look is part of the whole deal. the 5lug will throw it off along with the rims. they'lll see u fly by and then see ur rims....put it together and they will solve the math.

about the breaks, iwas talkin to akid from FIZZ who does swaps and he has just the aem breaks up front with his b18c1. i was asking him all types of questions about the break conversion, and he was the one who was saying that the front is whats important, and the rear are mainly for parking so don't worry toomuch about that conversion. only do it if u have the money.

thats what im probably gonna do.. just do the motor swap and get aem's up front with stronger break lines etc.. and keep the rear drums. - it'll look mor elike a sleeper too with the drums..ha i can't let anyone kno what i have under my hood either...we have a lot of thefts - especially the import kids.

how much wud u get for the wrecked itr? theres definitely kids out there wanting to find a wrecked itr so they can do the swap....if u can buy the mr2 for a reasonable price and sell the itr for some healthy profit, then go for it.

Quick Reply: any of u guys insure your hybrid?