Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic..

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic..

The more research I do...the more I get confused.

I look at stock Prelude vacuum diagrams, and half of those things lead to ports I don't even have! like...I don't have what I need to route it.

Through the help of a guy on h22a.org, I did the vacuum lines like so....

Can anybody tell me if this is correct? If not, what do I need to change?

*BTW, I'm not using this hosing...just got it for easy viewing.*

Please don't show me the stock Prelude Vacuum diagram, it's literally no help at all to me...I don't even see half the sensors it shows on my engine. Maybe cuz it's JDM?

Pics:

Empty line goes to the cannister? yes, no? So I was told...

empty nipple on TB also goes to cannister?

Dunno exactly what this is...it's not shown on the USDM diagrams.

The empty line goes to the nipple right above the lower hose on that black box..it's off cuz I accidently broke the nipple off. It's since back on though.

Can anybody verify that this is surely incorrect, or surely correct?

If so, what am I doing wrong?

[Modified by hot_EG, 12:22 AM 1/15/2003]

[Modified by hot_EG, 1:20 AM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (hot_EG)

ttt
Old 01-14-2003, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sensor in the first pic looks like map??????
if it has a vacuum nipple on it and a threeish wire connector then i think it is.
if not i don't know what it is.

second one looks like evap????????

third, i think egr???????

fourth, is it running in series of the fpr and fuel rail?

last one pcv?
Old 01-15-2003, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (Steady)

In the third picture, with the line that comes off the fpr and goes to the valve thingy and then to the intake manifold, you can just bypass that valve thing and run a vacuum line straight from the fpr to the intake manifold, like in the usdm diagram. I ran into the same question about that thing, but I remember searching through archived threads about jdm h22 vacuum diagrams and poison posted that you don't need that thing hooked up. I don't know exactly what it is, but i know for sure its not needed.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (laugHin22CX)

Hey hot eg. The way i told you awhile back is kinda off. I tried a bunch of different ways on mine and finally found the right way. The small vacum port on the side of the throttle body goes to the map sensor. Also you can take out that evap valve that you have inline with the fule pressure regulator. You dont really need that at all, but if you want to use it use the vacums on the back of the intake manifold for it. As far as the EGR goes i didnt even use any of that. I made a plate to block of the valve and all. Its basically emmisons related and where im located any 96 and up car they dont test the exhasut gases, they just look for engine codes so i was ok up here. Its alot easier once you get the motor in the car and get it started to hook up all the vacums. Good luck. Let us know when you decide to get that thing in there..
Old 01-15-2003, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (jdmdxxturd)

What happened to your old name?? lol

Here are some pics for reference.. And congrats on finally getting your engine and swap in progress..

Old 01-15-2003, 09:19 AM

i have the helms diagram on my site
Old 01-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (heiyu)

Ah,

Well see that's the thing.

Here in TX now the emissions are getting very strict...if the check engine light comes on at all during the test, you fail automatically.

They also test gases etc, I don't want to risk it.

Problem is, I haven't found anybody that has the EGR hooked up because everybody bypasses it cuz I guess they have easy emissions around them.

Heiyu,

I've tried to look at your site many times, but I've only got 56K and after struggling to load it for like 3 hours it just locked up
Old 01-15-2003, 02:07 PM

Sorry man, your vacuum diagrams look really REALLY jacked up in that configuration. let me see if I can help a little bit.

This pictre has the MAP sensor on the left and it looks like an EVAP Purge Solenoid on the right. The MAP sensor should have 1 vacuum line coming into it. The line will "T", one side gets run the the MAP itself and the other end is plugged off. I wouldnt deviate from that configuration much as the MAP sensor is kinda important and I wouldnt trust ******* with the vacuum configs to get false readings.

The EVAP Purge valve has 2 nipples. The bottom one gets a tap off the vacuum of the intake manifold. (pull it from a vacuum source somewhere besides the FPR or MAP sensor. The second top nipple gets run to the charcoal canister. There are 3 nipples on the charcol canister, the double stacked nipples.... Top one goes to the top nipple of the EVAP Purge, the bottom one goes to the big vacuum tap on the THrottle body in the next picture.

For this next picture, your EGR valve is hooked up wrong. It does not get a straight tap off of the intake manifold. I would put the MAP sensor on that nipple of the throttle body. The EGR valve needs to be run to the EGR control solenoid which it looks like you are missing. I would grab one from a wrecking yard for cheap. There are 2 parts to your EGR, that 3 wire EGR lift valve and there is a 2 wire EGR control valve.

This next pict is hooked up wrong too. That looks like a 2nd EVAP Purge valve. remove that completely and run the Fuel Pressure Regulator straight to the vacuum nipple on the intake manifold. Just throw that spare EVAP purge away.

In the VERY bottom, you can see the IAB diaphram, thats hooked up wrong too. It does not get a straight vacuum tap off of the Intake manifold, I will talk more about it in the next pict, but remember its called a IAB diaphram.

Okay, this pict looks MOSTLY hooked up right, but still wrong The blue line on the right is correct. the blue line on the very bottom is correct. That blue line that comes off the vacuum nipple of the intake manifol and comes straight down and hooks into nothing is incorrect, remove it and cap that nipple. The IAB diaphram (from the last pict) will connect to the 2nd vacuum nipple of the solenoid that is on that black vacuum tank for the IAB. It hooks up right above the bottom blue line.

Okay, you still need to find an EGR control valve. This will have 2 vacuum nipples too. 1the top nipple will run to the EGR lift valve that I talked about earlier. The other nipple will run either straight to the Intake manifold vacuum nipple that you currently have the IAB diaphram plugged into or there will be a IAB check valve (you also dont have this by your picts) in between the EGR control solenoid and the Intake manifold.

I understand that you cannot read this vacuum diagram (thank you heiyu, I hope you dont mind I borrowed it), but look it over agian and again until it makes sense. Do not worry about the "strating air valve" or any of the intake control crap in the bottom left hand corner. That stuff is built into the prelude airbox and you do not need it. It has nothing to do with emissions and you will pass fine without it. The prelude airbox's had dual runners kinda like your IAB intake manifold.

All the other equipment you will need though. With the exception of the IAB check valve near the EGR control solenoid. I have done a few H22 swaps and never used that piece.

I hope this helps you a little bit, its kind of hard to explain.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (Slurp56)

hey Jonathan, did you not get the IM I sent you? I can send it again!
Old 01-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (fastwanabe)

hey Jonathan, did you not get the IM I sent you? I can send it again!
Yeah dude I got it...

But like I said, there's like SOOOO much stuff on that diagram that I DON'T have...on the engine or in the Civic. And then stuff on my engine that I see nowhere on the Diagram.

Then on top of that I know there's some stuff from the diagram that I don't hook up, and I again don't know what that is.

Slurp56.... is this the diagram you were trying to link? fastwanabe sent me this, and like I said....I don't know what half that stuff is, and there are things on there that I don't even see on my engine

Also, that thing you were talking about that I'm missing that should go to the EGR, if I'm missing it wouldn't I have a missing sensor plug on my wiring harness? because I never had any plug missing... Unless what you're talking about is the thing that I've got plugged inline with the FPR and the IM.

Please don't tell me to rely on this diagram....I don't think I have half of those valves/solenoid's that aren't directly on the engine

[Modified by hot_EG, 7:04 PM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EDIT:

Checked my cannister again....one of the nips is broken off, so i actually do have 3 nips

Sorry for the mistake!

[Modified by hot_EG, 1:48 AM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What it do.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (lazy bum shaughn)

What it do.
Postwhore!

Get out of my thread!

Old 01-15-2003, 09:59 PM

looking at your pictures you can just follow the diagram. Do one thing at a time. Some of the stuff you dont need to hook up so just plug the nipple. Dont see what sensors you confussed on.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (heiyu)

looking at your pictures you can just follow the diagram. Do one thing at a time. Some of the stuff you dont need to hook up so just plug the nipple. Dont see what sensors you confussed on.
It would be that easy....if i knew exactly what I don't hook up/need to cap off.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Slowly but surely I'm working my way through this stuff.

1. I found the Constant Vacuum Control Valve/EGR Vacuum Control Valve or the EGR Control Solenoid Valve ...somebody told me to throw them away, good thing I didn't! I can't remember if the engine harness plugged into this...if not, I don't have the wiring for it. What do I do?

2. The nipple that goes to the Cruise Control system (don't have it)...do I cap it off?

3. The nipple from the Cannister that says goes to the EVAP Two-way valve...what do I do here? I don't think I have that.

4. I don't have the Intake Control Solenoid Valve or the Intake Control Diaphram....Do I need to get these? (I don't have anything from the harness that would go to the Valve, so I don't know what to do here about wiring). If not, cap off the nipple for it on the back of the IM?

5. The sensor I have hooked up between the FPR and the IM came stock just like that way and has a wiring plug for it...I'm planning on leaving it unless someone can tell me exactly what it is and why I wouldn't need it.

Slurp56, after reading your post several times and looking at the diagrams, I'm understanding it. Thank you. I just need to know about these couple questions.

TIA!!!

[Modified by hot_EG, 2:38 AM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 11:04 PM

ok just keep
EVAP
MAP
IAB
EGR
fuel pressure reg
Starting air valve(can run without it)
Old 01-15-2003, 11:10 PM

Anyway, do I need the Constant Vacuum Control Valve/EGR Vacuum Control Valve.
In my experience, No

or the EGR Control Solenoid Valve?
Yes

[Modified by Slurp56, 8:11 AM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (Slurp56)

Alright, that got my first question...

How about 2, 3, 4 and 5....I edited my post so you might not have seen those originally. I didn't want to double post
Old 01-16-2003, 08:48 AM

I got your question about that "extra" solenoid on the fuel rail answered in the Prelude forum. It's for the intake resonator butterfly system (NOT the IAB system). On US cars, this solenoid is mounted by the air filter, I dunno why its by the fuel rail on JDM cars. I don't think civics had a system like this, so just bypass it entirely (as others have said). I put up pics of how to bypass it in your prelude forum thread. Bypassing it won't throw a code (the system is essectially eliminated if you add a CAI anyways).
Old 01-16-2003, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (red92s)

Thanks Tim!

Now onto questions 2, 3, and 4

2. The nipple that goes to the Cruise Control system (don't have it)...do I cap it off?

3. The nipple from the Cannister that says goes to the EVAP Two-way valve...what do I do here? I don't think I have that valve spoken of.

4. I don't have the Intake Control Solenoid Valve or the Intake Control Diaphram....Do I need to get these? (I don't think I have anything from the harness that would go to the Valve, so I don't know what to do here about wiring). If not, cap off the nipple for it on the back of the IM?

Also, I don't see anything about the IAB's in this diagram...am I missing parts or perhaps misunderstanding something about them?

How do I know if I've got them hooked up, if at all?

[Modified by hot_EG, 3:06 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 02:20 PM

Thanks Tim!

Now onto questions 2, 3, and 4

Yes, cap it off.

3. The nipple from the Cannister that says goes to the EVAP Two-way valve...what do I do here? I don't think I have that valve spoken of.
I will have to go out and look at my car. I think it should already be hooked up to something in your civic. If it is, leave it alone.

4. I don't have the Intake Control Solenoid Valve or the Intake Control Diaphram....Do I need to get these? (I don't think I have anything from the harness that would go to the Valve, so I don't know what to do here about wiring). If not, cap off the nipple for it on the back of the IM?
No you do not need this hardware. Cap that nipple off as well. The wiring would have been on the prelude chasis and not the engine harness.

Also, I don't see anything about the IAB's in this diagram...am I missing parts or perhaps misunderstanding something about them?

You do have all the correct hardware for the IAB's. Its lines 12 and 13 in the vacuum diagrams posted.

Old 01-16-2003, 02:36 PM

Thanks Tim!

As stated above, that IS the correct vaccum diagram and parts 12 and 13 ARE the major components of the IAB system.

[Modified by hot_EG, 3:06 PM 1/16/2003]
4) The intake control solenoid valve is the one that was mounted near your fuel rail (the "extra" one that I discussed above). It's mounted near the air filter (and the diaphram) on US cars). You don't need any components from this system. Just bypass the solenoid, and you don't have to worry about the diaphram or accumulator box shown in the Helm's manual.

[Modified by red92s, 11:37 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic.. (red92s)

Quick Reply: Be all, end all...EGR/vacuum hosing! H22/Civic..