Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After much research, I still need some help in deciding what to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After much research, I still need some help in deciding what to do

I presently have many ideas for my '96 Accord which has the F22B2 SOHC non VTEC engine. After much reading I have come to the decision that I will be building the F22 bottom end and doing some tweaking/frankensteining for the top end vs a JDM motor swap (less hassle not just fitment wise and other tweaks, but also electronically), plus there's one positive the F22 has over the H22 and that is iron sleeves vs FRM.

From what I have read, the F22 and H22 blocks are nearly identical internally, both use the 50mm journals I think so wouldn't the crank's be interchangeable? There is a Brian Crower stroker kit for the H22.

The F22B2 block has a 4.3mm longer stock stroke than the H22, and I'm not sure that a +5mm stroke on the F22 is worth the added cost of the machined crank if the H22 stroker were to fit without much issue.

Other possibilities I have been playing around with in my mind is picking up a Gude performance H22 head package and bolting it onto the F22 block and boosting. It's a DOHC ported and polished head, cams, IM, TB etc designed to be used with OEM springs, valves etc for 1450 after core charge. Haven't seen a lot of response on these packages.

Please excuse the ignorance of this question, but couldn't a DOHC VTEC head be set up as a DOHC non VTEC, by deleting the VTEC control from the ECU and setting up a static tune for the cam profiles, or would that be more hassle than it would be to just do the additional VTEC wiring and add the knock sensor and other goodies? (the H23 is a non VTEC DOHC with a shitty flowing head).

Final question, am I correct in what I have read that all H/F series transmissions are 100% bolt up? I'm thinking of picking up a JDM M2B4 LSD transmission to bolt up to my F22B2 block, are there any non-obvious pitfalls I should watch out for sensor/mount/etc wise?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After much research, I still need some help in deciding what to do

Technicly the h22 and f22 are identical same trans bold same mounts alot of the same parts they both have identical displacement,, ecept for the head being sohc and dohc.. i i have a 97 accord i just finished putting a h22a in it.. if u want an agresive trans like mine id go with the h23 lsd very short gearing i think its closer than b series trans. yes u can slap a vtec head on a non vtec motor since its all in the head. the stoker kit should fit the f22 easly. one thing though you may want to check the size of the crank im pretty sure the h22 crank is bigger so therefore the connecting rod for the stoker kit wont match. But i had the f22b1 and i had the heads off both my motors and the h22 valves where suprizingly bigger (just the head alone is fater and wider) sorry for the sloppy reply not good at a bunch of questions at once if u have more of a direct question id be happy to answer or find out for you.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After I read your post, I did a little more digging on Google. Apparently, the crank's are identical except for the stroke length... the F22 crank having more stroke than a H22 (people suggest using a F22 crank into a H22 as a stroker).

I'm guessing that the stoker crank in that kit I linked is nothing more than a machined F22 crank that goes from 95mm to 100mm, so perhaps I can just take the crank in my motor already and have it machined down to increase the stroke. Outside of that, I could maybe go +1.0mm over on the cylinder bore to 86mm which should bring the displacement to 2.3L. The only question is how much is the machine work going to cost, and is it worth it for the minimal increase in power.

My initial response is no, better off to get the block done 0.030 over or so, put some money into forged pistons and rods, beef up the bearings and main cap, stronger bolts and call it a day for the bottom end.

As for the top end, keep the SOHC non VTEC head (no headaches), beef up the cam, cam gear and bolt on's like the intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail and injectors.

If done right a SOHC non-VTEC F22 can make decent power... it's all in the parts and the tune. This makes it less headache in the long run as all I need to do is bolt up a beefier transmission.

Here's a direct question: if I get a ODB2 to ODB1 harness adapter I can use any ODB1 ECU to control the engine right? If so, which ODB1 ECU would best be suited for this application? More to the point, if I really wanted to I could just use the harness adapter and use a ODB1 stand alone computer vs reflashing a Honda ECU right?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking on AEM's website they have this: http://www.aemelectronics.com/series...-1996-1997-466 for under $1400. In the scheme of things, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do this right.

Now that I know what I'm going to be doing, I can create a realistic budget. I suppose this will no longer be a Hybrid engine, so keep a look out in the appropriate thread section!