Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after i relaced the valve cover gasket with grommets......motor still sputters a bit

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after i relaced the valve cover gasket with grommets......motor still sputters a bit

I replaced a gsr valve cover gasket including the the 4 circle grommets. The motor ran harder than ever before and just about a week after the job was finished.......the motor had similar problems, but not as severe as the 1st time. It sputters just a bit.......almost enough to say it is in one cylindar(around 3000-4000 rpm). I pulled the plugs and they look great; except cyl #1 smelled more like gas than the others. All 4 plug tips were dry so i guess they are all firing. What is the deal? a fouled plug possibly? thanks all, again and again and again.....
Old 03-18-2006, 07:41 PM
R.I.P.

Default Re: after i relaced the valve cover gasket with grommets......motor still sputters a bit (kidkanedtx

maybe something fell into the head
Old 03-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: after i relaced the valve cover gasket with grommets......motor still sputters a bit (kidkanedtx

bumped
Old 03-25-2006, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no
Old 03-25-2006, 11:30 PM

How the hell are you relating the way your engine runs to replacing a valve cover gasket? I think you need to do some more research cause this can't be your problem.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i appreciate it, man.....this is an old post oif my problem.....here's the new one:::..I havent touched the timing on my jdmb18c1. Rpm put in a new belt with pumps at swap time......the motor ran like a Gem for a full year.....Then recently, I took it to the track and we experienced some sputtering on the way(before we got there). I bought new plugs which are pre-gapped from acura(at the dealer-oem)......and when I pulled them....the plugs and bottom of the spark plug boots we're covered in oil. I did the required valve cover gasket(cause thats what that is-the grommets were there problems) repair. Motor seemed to run harder than ever for like 2 days until the sputtering AGAIN at 2000-3500 rpm's.............I was beside myself......I have changed the wires and the plugs twice(my 1st set got drenched in oil before I repaired the valve cover gasket set).........the dist. rotor and cap are soooo clean.....No Red dust .....just dust from packin' 30,000 miles on the motor. It stops bogging and sputtering after I floor it.......How do I stop this........it ran great for so long.....and the valve cover gasket was prolly never the MAIN problem all along!!! I had my racing mechanic/pal look at my car.....he diagnosed the distributor and wires to ensure they were getting a pulse he said they were and that it was most likely an ignition problem. I have received no codes......I only wish I did!!! Could this be an ECU Problem.........(should I get a usdm 0bd21 ecu or a jdm?) thanks for ANY help......Im really confused.