Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed on B16a swap for my 94 cx hatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed on B16a swap for my 94 cx hatch

Ok guys im starting to gather the necessary things to prepare for my swap at the end of the summer, but before i go out buying a whole bunch of b.s i figured i check here first.

1. A complete B16a swap for my 94 cx hatch. Now i have been doing research and this is what i have decided on. I have checked HMO and the complete swap is 2500+ shipping roughly. With the way people talk about how cheap the b16 is im thinking is this a fair price? Any other places i should look? What price range should i be looking in?

2. Where to get it installed? I am currently in MN and are there any members here that have recommendations as to where to go to get a swap installed. Im also guessing that labor would essentially be roughly 600-800?

3. Total price If the above options hold true, im looking at 3,300 for the swap, at that price would it just be better to shell out a little more and get the b18c? I think its roughly a 200-300 difference between the two engines.

Pretty much i just want to know that im not getting had with prices, and what to expect through this process seeing as how this is my first go around. Any input would be greatly appreciated, especially on ways to save or different places to check because with the way people were talking its looking like the b16 isnt as cheap as one would be led to believe. I have been trying to do my due diligence but i can only get myself but so far.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Advice Needed

Why a B16a? They are torqueless.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
pm4nudes

MN? I've got **** laying around my garage if you need something. 6-8 hundo is about right depending on the shop. I'm sure some shops will charge 800+. I don't do swaps anymore, but I'd charge you 400 to do it. I'm sure I know others that will charge the same.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Why a B16a? They are torqueless.
because im not made out of money, i understand that it has 10 lbs less torque but for my price range this works for me. Im not building this to race this is more for the enthusiast me thats always been into hondas im just looking for a sleeper in a sense. Something i can have fun driving. Im saving "power" for when it comes time to go get my dream car an EVO.

Originally Posted by chewyv
MN? I've got **** laying around my garage if you need something. 6-8 hundo is about right depending on the shop. I'm sure some shops will charge 800+. I don't do swaps anymore, but I'd charge you 400 to do it. I'm sure I know others that will charge the same.
See i know all the pieces necessary for the swap i've done the research but im not great hands on wise, aside from reading and studying my knowledge of hondas/cars period is limited, never had a chance to learn till now. If you get what im saying. Im trying to learn all i can. Thats also why i think just getting a complete swap would be the best bet. Also i called full blown motorsports they were talking 1100 for labor thats a bit steep. I haven't checked too many other spots. And that 400 would be choice if you still did swaps.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM
pm4nudes

B16a 2500
Shipping 400
Labor 600
That's 3500
You do know its not a complete swap right? Axles, shift linkage and other crap. Also you're not just going to put the swap in without doing maint.? Timing belt, belt tensioner, water pump, etc etc.
Realisticly will be 4k.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B16a 2500
Shipping 400
Labor 600
That's 3500
You do know its not a complete swap right? Axles, shift linkage and other crap. Also you're not just going to put the swap in without doing maint.? Timing belt, belt tensioner, water pump, etc etc.
Realisticly will be 4k.
the b16a came with EVERYTHING AXLES AND LINKAGE for 2500+ and shipping.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30005

or

http://www.jspecauto.com/catalog_pro...px?prod_id=722
Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM
pm4nudes

Default Re: Advice Needed on B16a swap for my 94 cx hatch

Your call I guess. I can get you a usdm swap for cheaper if interested. Why hasn't this been moved to gdd yet?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your call I guess. I can get you a usdm swap for cheaper if interested. Why hasn't this been moved to gdd yet?
y wouldn't i be interested ? lol this was part of the reason i posted about it. To see if i was getting a good deal.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM
pm4nudes

Hmo products are very well put together so their stuff wouldn't really fall under a bad deal. Buying from a private party can save you thousands, but you have to know what you're looking for. You need more experience to buy from a private party to be able to save the most money. You don't like anything on craigslist? I see a ton of swaps for sale on there.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmo products are very well put together so their stuff wouldn't really fall under a bad deal. Buying from a private party can save you thousands, but you have to know what you're looking for. You need more experience to buy from a private party to be able to save the most money. You don't like anything on craigslist? I see a ton of swaps for sale on there.

thats the thing i "know" what im looking for but dont really know. As confusing as that may sound thats the best way i can word it. Also the other issue is i have no way of picking up a swap if purchased from a private party, all i have as transport is my hatch and no friends with trucks lol. Thats why HMO was looking like a good choice because im assuming i could have it shipped directly to a shop. Im glad im starting the planning early because this would suck to do this last min, as im seeing its a lot that goes into this.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon6 Re: Advice Needed on B16a swap for my 94 cx hatch

Very well put!

I had a shop replace the motor in my old 96 accord for $1000 including new gaskets. Shops may want to try and charge more because it is a different motor. I took the time to do the swap into my 94 vx. It literally dropped in using a obd2 engine harness. I had to re pin 2 wires on the chassis side and it fired up. If you have the tools and a little knowledge it would be toward your advantage to learn to install it. I used the money I would have used to pay someone to buy a 10 drawer tool box filled with tools!!
HMO is a good place to get a swap but you pay for peace of mind. Exactly what I planned on doing until I found a GSR swap complete listed for $2000. I got there and it was a very clean motor on the outside so opened valve cover and drain oil looking for metal, compression check. It supposedly only had 80k miles and it looks it. I got it home for $1500! He gave me the skunk2 pro mani he had bought new. It is a 1998 that just had a new water pump and timing belt put in. I got a hell of a deal but it took 8 month of looking for that "perfect" swap. And to be clear because I have had whiners cry because o didn't clairify my definition of a swap. So if they come in here I will be covered. I define a swap as a complete running motor, transmission, shift linkage, axles, wiring harness, and ecu.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 PM
pm4nudes

Well if you see something you like on criagslist then I'll move it for you for gas and beer if you're close to the twin cities.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
Very well put!

I had a shop replace the motor in my old 96 accord for $1000 including new gaskets. Shops may want to try and charge more because it is a different motor. I took the time to do the swap into my 94 vx. It literally dropped in using a obd2 engine harness. I had to re pin 2 wires on the chassis side and it fired up. If you have the tools and a little knowledge it would be toward your advantage to learn to install it. I used the money I would have used to pay someone to buy a 10 drawer tool box filled with tools!!
HMO is a good place to get a swap but you pay for peace of mind. Exactly what I planned on doing until I found a GSR swap complete listed for $2000. I got there and it was a very clean motor on the outside so opened valve cover and drain oil looking for metal, compression check. It supposedly only had 80k miles and it looks it. I got it home for $1500! He gave me the skunk2 pro mani he had bought new. It is a 1998 that just had a new water pump and timing belt put in. I got a hell of a deal but it took 8 month of looking for that "perfect" swap. And to be clear because I have had whiners cry because o didn't clairify my definition of a swap. So if they come in here I will be covered. I define a swap as a complete running motor, transmission, shift linkage, axles, wiring harness, and ecu.
thats what i would define it as too, and that sounds like a beautiful deal you got there i know it probly made you do this inside --->

Well if you see something you like on criagslist then I'll move it for you for gas and beer if you're close to the twin cities.
and i will definitely keep that in mind as i scour through craigslist, i mean its not like im not going to have the money (3,500) to get the swap from hmo and have a shop do it. All that does however is set back my overall plan a little in terms of getting a couple of other pieces to accompany the B16 at the time of install. I was looking to get the entire thing done for around 3k which would have given me enough for a separate mod or two along side the swap.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Go with the B18C1, the B16A is very boring swap especially for daily driving
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maladeen
i know it probly made you do this inside --->

I do that every time I drive my car too. Go with the Gsr, it is a blast to drive, I call it my go-cart on roids. I would even be willing to say it is as fast if not faster than my G35 was!!! You will be glad in the long run
Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Honda owns me

If you want something fun and cheap, an LS swap would be good, you can even find whole LS's pretty cheap and do the swap yourself. A running LS with in a beat chassis can go as cheap as $800 in MN.

I'm in Fargo, my GF is doing her first swap currently, a GSR into a Vx. The motor is from a junkyard GSR [full car] a buddy of mine found for me. She had to pull the motor and she'll be pulling the Vx motor too in order to drop the GSR in.

It took her 7 hours with me breaking bolts loose to pull the motor.

You could always find someone in MN that would be willing to sit with you through the swap and point out what's what. There are plenty of people that are willing to help out that way.

BTW, Fullblown is legit, they do solid work from what I've seen. I plan on getting my H2b tuned there once I get it put back together.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2500 for a B16 at HMO is super rip off. Shipped to your house is $3k? And then $6-800 for labor is mind boggling. Is it complete? Ecu, axles, shift linkage, mounts? You will also need a USDM VTEC wire harness.

Is there a reputable/reasonable shop in your area does Honda work? IMO just drop it off and let them handle it. You shouldn't pay over $2.5-$2.8k with swap and labor.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
$2500 for a B16 at HMO is super rip off. Shipped to your house is $3k? And then $6-800 for labor is mind boggling. Is it complete? Ecu, axles, shift linkage, mounts? You will also need a USDM VTEC wire harness.

Is there a reputable/reasonable shop in your area does Honda work? IMO just drop it off and let them handle it. You shouldn't pay over $2.5-$2.8k with swap and labor.
Super rip off isnt what that is. It's peace of mind. HMO has a start up gaurantee. I bought my b18c swap from them and it was beautiful. Ya ya they can clean it up and all but even inside this thing was clean. You do the simple maintance and they will cover any sensor or other problem you have as long as you get back to them in a reasonable amount of time. I've read tons of reviews where they had a bad dizzy or bad sensor and HMO reimburses you for the part that needed replacement. They didn't have a obd1 swap so the owner sold me the obd2a swap and threw in the jumper harnesses for no charge. It cost a pretty penny but you could go buy from a private seller with a super clean motor and he spun a rod bearing and has a knock but you won't know until you get it in your car and bam you can't get ahold of the seller. HMO is a legit business and if I ever need a swap I will go back regardless of price. Peace of mind is priceless. All in all replacing the maintance stuff and intake and exhaust and fluids it cost me roughly 4500 to swap mine but I guarantee you it was done right. And that was done myself. And by no means am I banking. I wasn't taking a chance with a private seller. I don't trust people enough.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Show15
Super rip off isnt what that is. It's peace of mind. HMO has a start up gaurantee. I bought my b18c swap from them and it was beautiful. Ya ya they can clean it up and all but even inside this thing was clean. You do the simple maintance and they will cover any sensor or other problem you have as long as you get back to them in a reasonable amount of time. I've read tons of reviews where they had a bad dizzy or bad sensor and HMO reimburses you for the part that needed replacement. They didn't have a obd1 swap so the owner sold me the obd2a swap and threw in the jumper harnesses for no charge. It cost a pretty penny but you could go buy from a private seller with a super clean motor and he spun a rod bearing and has a knock but you won't know until you get it in your car and bam you can't get ahold of the seller. HMO is a legit business and if I ever need a swap I will go back regardless of price. Peace of mind is priceless. All in all replacing the maintance stuff and intake and exhaust and fluids it cost me roughly 4500 to swap mine but I guarantee you it was done right. And that was done myself. And by no means am I banking. I wasn't taking a chance with a private seller. I don't trust people enough.
How much did you pay HMO to get your GSR to your door step? Is it complete with mounts, axles, shift linkage?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

About 3800 shipped. 3300 for the complete change over. 500 for shipping. Came with brand new axles, linkage, ecu, jdm engine harness which was only useful for cutting it up to run new wires, mounts, engine, and transmission.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you were located in New England you could come pick up my B16A for $1800 w/ 36k..