Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A16A6 non vtec change

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A16A6 non vtec change

ok, im a little new to the honda scene, i worked on v8s for along time and i was lookin to expand my horizons, so the deal is i have a 92 honda civic and apparently it has a non vtec d16a6, according to the guides. it has a cold air intake, but otherwise is stock. im wondering what i can do, without changing the engine, maybe convert to vtec? any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A16A6 non vtec change (Shadow Templar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shadow Templar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, im a little new to the honda scene, i worked on v8s for along time and i was lookin to expand my horizons, so the deal is i have a 92 honda civic and apparently it has a non vtec d16a6, according to the guides. it has a cold air intake, but otherwise is stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you looked at the block to check the code or are you going by something you read online? If the car has a D16A6 then it was swapped in, because that motor was only found in the 1988-91 Civic and CRX Si.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im wondering what i can do, without changing the engine, maybe convert to vtec? any help would be appreciated!</TD></TR></TABLE>

First you need to make sure what you have before deciding what to do next. You could easily do a single cam VTEC swap or a "mini-me" VTEC head swap, throw together a homemade turbo setup, etc. There are many possibilities...
Old 12-15-2003, 02:58 PM

Default Re: A16A6 non vtec change (VTECVillain)

i got the info from Hot Rod magazines insert on four cylinder IDs, no i haven t checked my block, like i said im new to the honda scene...umm, its a honda dx sedan if that means anything. now, about ur suggestions, are the mini me vtec head swap different from the cam swap? or do u need to change the cam with the head? and furthermore, i have heard of converting dual point injection to multipoint, is that a requirement of the vtec head swap or different? im sorry about the rate of questions but all the sites ive visited are far too vague, i figured u guys would be the best sources. thank you so much for ur help.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A16A6 non vtec change (Shadow Templar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shadow Templar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got the info from Hot Rod magazines insert on four cylinder IDs, no i haven t checked my block, like i said im new to the honda scene...umm, its a honda dx sedan if that means anything. now, about ur suggestions, are the mini me vtec head swap different from the cam swap? or do u need to change the cam with the head? and furthermore, i have heard of converting dual point injection to multipoint, is that a requirement of the vtec head swap or different? im sorry about the rate of questions but all the sites ive visited are far too vague, i figured u guys would be the best sources. thank you so much for ur help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got your info from domestic magazine, that's why you got the wrong info . The motor in your car is a D15B7. With the mini-me, you are taking a D-series (either a D16Z6 or a D16Y8) SOHC VTEC head and replacing your non-VTEC head that you currently have. You engine is already multiport injected, so you do not need to worry about converting from dual-point. If you haven't already, use this:
https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch you will find tons of info if you search under "mini me".
Old 12-15-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Re: A16A6 non vtec change (Redline130)

thanks buddy, i really appreciate your knowledge. turns out u were right about my car engine and multi point. i went out and found the number on a sticker on the block, and it said in fact it was a d15b7. thank u, the building may now begin!