Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 ITR into 5g si

Old 04-22-2003, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ITR into 5g si

Want to put a 98 itr engine into my 5gcivic think the engine is a b18c!!! which is obd2 however mine is obd 1! (94 d16z6) how do i overcome this? do i use the itr ecu and engine wiring harness or do i buy the conversion or can i use my original engine harness! Any help would really be appreciated!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 07:11 AM

Default Re: 98 ITR into 5g si (integracivic94)

just thought itr engine might even be b18c5?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:01 AM

Buy the conversion harness and keep your stock P28 ECU and get it rechipped. The power gains are very satisfying. B18C5-EH2 has a similar setup except he has a CX hatch and it is the USDM B18C5 ITR engine. He is the EG Civic/Del Sol Forum Moderator. You could search for more info, because he just recently made a post about what ECU setups would work.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integracivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do i overcome this? do i use the itr ecu and engine wiring harness or do i buy the conversion or can i use my original engine harness! Any help would really be appreciated!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

For your type of engine swap scenerio, this is the breakdown & most easiest way to perform it...

Find yourself a US 96-98 Integra engine harness (a jdm integra engine harness won't work). If you find out that yout ITR engine is a B18C5 (US), then use the engine harness from it. Yes, its an OBD2 engine harness, but it will plug n' play onto your EG chassis's main harness plugs at the pass.side shock tower and work w/an OBD1 ecu. Doing this will allow you to use all of the OBD2 engine components so you don't need to run out and buy an OBD1 distributor, injectors, alternator, etc. You can retain all the whole OBD2 engine & electronical parts in its glory, even tho some of them will become dormant/unused, since you'll be sticking with your Si ecu.

Keep your Si/P28 ecu and have it reprogrammed. There's no need for you to get an ecu jumper and use the ITR ecu as a reprogrammed P28 out performs an ITR ecu (using a Mugen program). Not only will you save some $$$, but you will benefit more (hp) if you go the P28 ecu route.

Other than bolting the motor in, if you use ECU & Engine harness method above everything should be cake & work the first time.

Old 04-25-2003, 09:59 AM

Default Re: 98 ITR into 5g si (Katman)

you said use a usdm harness! does it matter that my car is a jap import? only need to know because these parts are to come by in the uk!
Old 04-25-2003, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integracivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you said use a usdm harness! does it matter that my car is a jap import? only need to know because these parts are to come by in the uk!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok now you're confusing me. do you own a JDM/Euro (right hand drive) Honda or a US (left hand drive) Honda?

If US, no it doesnt matter if the motor us US/JDM/DTM/etc.....the motor remains universal. What changes, is the engine harness mainly, because of the LEFT & RIGHT drive factor. The ecu is relocated to the opposite side of the car which in turn changes the layout of the engine harness. The motor, sensors, electrical items (minus the engine harness) remain the same.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:21 AM

Default Re: 98 ITR into 5g si (Katman)

My car is jdm! right hand drive!
Old 04-27-2003, 02:03 AM

So what your saying is i should use a jdm engine and harness and just use my original ecu (p28) and have it chipped! apart from this is it a straight forward swap? You'll have to excuse my ignorance but this is my first honda i have just recently seen the light any ideas on how much it will cost to have the ecu chipped? really appreciate any help as im a honda virgin